Has anyone here bought the diesel CX-5 yet?

:
2019 CX-5 AWD
Just browsing the Mazda site and I see 2019 CX-5 diesels with a starting price of 41,000 MSRP.

AgTgySc.jpg

I think selling a 19 MY CX-5 for ~40k is a hard sell in October 2019. They probably should have waited until the 2020 model year at this point. Bring on the lease deals.

Last edited:
Has anyone driven on? My dealer has exactly one, and its inside the showroom. Nobody has test driven it and they discouraged me from doing so. I pretty much need an appointment so they can extract it from the showroom and let me drive it.

I drove the Signature. It was fine. I'm not sure if I prefer it to the 2.5NA considering price and mileage. If the diesel were the price of the turbo, I'd probably still seriously consider it (assuming I could drive and buy one). But the premium of the diesel over the NA is astronomical.

I read somewhere that the diesel doesn't get any better mileage than the gas version. Of course I can't attest to the validity of this claim but if it's true who would pay the extra money for a diesel version only to pay more for the fuel and not get better mileage. I feel Mazda didn't think this through.

I read somewhere that the diesel doesn't get any better mileage than the gas version. Of course I can't attest to the validity of this claim but if it's true who would pay the extra money for a diesel version only to pay more for the fuel and not get better mileage. I feel Mazda didn't think this through.

The figures on Mazda's website say 30 MPG Highway for both the diesel and the NA.
The turbo comes in at 27 MPG Highway.

My dealer has had 4 for several months now. I'm guessing they will finally sell, once they are offered for less than the regular gas powered Signature price. Still $4k too high.

Should see what the go for in Canada almost 49k before tax! lol what a joke! 5 grand over the sig for just that pile of garbage motor that gives what 3 mpg more and is way slower.

My dealer has had 4 for several months now. I'm guessing they will finally sell, once they are offered for less than the regular gas powered Signature price. Still $4k too high.

Must be a large dealer.

My dealer has 3 locations: 1 in Virginia and 2 in North Carolina.

Charlottesville, VA has (21) CX-5s. (1) of those is a diesel.
Greensboro, NC has (28) CX-5s. (1) of those is a diesel.
Fayetteville, NC has (46) CX-5s. He has no diesels at this location right now. I believe he had one when last I looked...all 3 locations had one each. Did he actually sell one???? Or maybe he pulled it for some reason.

I just bought one a week ago. I negotiated 4K off. I havent driven the 2.5T but the diesel is very satisfying to drive. The best way to describe it is relaxed. It wont beat anything in a straight line but it moves you fairly quickly around town and it never feels like the engine is working that hard. The engine note is also very nice on the ears. Mileage is obviously better than the sticker. I havent broken it in yet but right now I average about 30mpg in city and 35-36mpg on highway. Its not difficult to get 500-550 miles on a tank depending on the type of driving.

The diesel engine is an additional $4,110 option on top of the top of the line Signature 2.5 turbo model. So the price is listed at $41,000 before the 1,045 destination (which should really be included in the price because it's mandatory, but it's industry practice to break out the cost of shipping the car separately).

I just bought one a week ago. I negotiated 4K off. I haven*t driven the 2.5T but the diesel is very satisfying to drive. The best way to describe it is relaxed. It won*t beat anything in a straight line but it moves you fairly quickly around town and it never feels like the engine is working that hard. The engine note is also very nice on the ears. Mileage is obviously better than the sticker. I haven*t broken it in yet but right now I average about 30mpg in city and 35-36mpg on highway. It*s not difficult to get 500-550 miles on a tank depending on the type of driving.

Any plans for tuning/mods?

I just bought one a week ago. I negotiated 4K off. I haven*t driven the 2.5T but the diesel is very satisfying to drive. The best way to describe it is relaxed. It won*t beat anything in a straight line but it moves you fairly quickly around town and it never feels like the engine is working that hard. The engine note is also very nice on the ears. Mileage is obviously better than the sticker. I haven*t broken it in yet but right now I average about 30mpg in city and 35-36mpg on highway. It*s not difficult to get 500-550 miles on a tank depending on the type of driving.

I look forward to hearing more about it as you get used to it. I really wanted the diesel when they were announced. All else being equal, I think I'd still prefer it. But I can't see paying more than $35K

Around here, diesel is about the same price as regular, but Costco doesn't sell diesel :( I get about 24 MPG on my 18 2.5NA on my regular communte. 30-32 on all highway trips in the 60-80mph speed range.

If I could average 30 MPG instead of 24, that meets my minimum expectation for the diesel, and if it does 35 on the freeway, that would be fine too. I expect it to feel much nicer getting up to speed from a stop, and not worrying about the gear, that's about my only complaint on the 2.5NA. I'd also like the improved towing capacity. And maybe the engine does feel more refined than the 2.5T. I wasn't blown away by that.

I'm surprised you didn't try the 2.5T. How did you know its the diesel you wanted at that premium?

https://www.theautochannel.com/news...-5-diesel-first-review-from-larry-nutson.html

"In big-city, stop and go driving around my Chicago home, most often in the 20 to 25 mph range with frequent stop signs and red lights, I was averaging 25 mpg, which is a couple mpg below the EPA city rating. Last winter I drove the gasoline-engine CX-5 Signature and was getting 16-17 mpg around town. So the diesel is a big step up in economy.

I made a few purposeful highway drives to see what kind of MPG I could get. I was pleasantly surprised that the CX-5 diesel was getting 40 to 41 mpg. That*s much better than the EPA ratings. I tried a couple different driving styles on these highway drives. For one drive I kept no more than 5 mph above the 55 mph speed limit (PSL). On another I drove 10 to 15 mph above the PSL. And for a third I just drove with the prevailing traffic. The fuel consumption remained in the same 40-41 mpg range.

With the CX-5*s 15.3 gallon fuel tank I was looking at a 600 mile driving range. That*s an all-day non-stop highway drive, save for those biological breaks."

Must be a large dealer.

Not really that large. It is an auto dealer mecca, though.

Here's their current Diesel inventory, which hasn't changed since they came out: https://www.continentalmazda.com/ne...=1&model[]=Mazda+CX-5&trim[]=Signature+Diesel

They make no sense here. As diesel is about .40c/gal more than regular and at a $4k premium over the 2.5T, it would take a long time to justify it. The only benefit I can see is being the only one on the block with one.

dWRVfBR.jpg

I noticed the diesel has a single exit exhaust, with plastic filler where the 2nd exhaust outlet normally goes.

Last edited:
Not really that large. It is an auto dealer mecca, though.

I just bought my Reserve from Continental at the end of August. Very nice people to deal with. I didnt take the diesel for a test drive, but I wish I wouldve just to see how much of a difference the ride would have been.

dWRVfBR.jpg

I noticed the diesel has a single exit exhaust, with plastic filler piece where the 2nd exhaust outlet normally goes.
Yes, it's the same as Euro CX-5 diesel mentioned by Anchorman a while ago.

We will get the high powered diesel soon. It comes with the urea injection equipment and a single tail pipe to allow for a storage tank on the opposite side. The tank is connected by pipe to the injector in the exhaust.
Yes, urea injection but the tank goes in the same void as the current twin exhaust. The cut out in the bumper for the left tailpipe will have a little plastic filler panel.

I just bought one a week ago. I negotiated 4K off. I havent driven the 2.5T but the diesel is very satisfying to drive. The best way to describe it is relaxed. It wont beat anything in a straight line but it moves you fairly quickly around town and it never feels like the engine is working that hard. The engine note is also very nice on the ears. Mileage is obviously better than the sticker. I havent broken it in yet but right now I average about 30mpg in city and 35-36mpg on highway. Its not difficult to get 500-550 miles on a tank depending on the type of driving.

I get around 400 miles per tank with the turbo, so another 20%...that's cool. I mean, it is in the camp of "this is meaningful". However, that's only 20%, and diesel costs about that much more than 87, so it falls back into the camp of "do I really care?" All of the CX5's have had good exhaust notes, IMO. The turbo engine moves you around pretty effortlessly, too. It is less "shifty" than my V8 5.7L powered Jeep GC with a 5-speed was in t he mountains, so pretty darn good.

I am very curious how fast the diesel tests out to be.

I get around 400 miles per tank with the turbo, so another 20%...that's cool. I mean, it is in the camp of "this is meaningful". However, that's only 20%, and diesel costs about that much more than 87, so it falls back into the camp of "do I really care?" All of the CX5's have had good exhaust notes, IMO. The turbo engine moves you around pretty effortlessly, too. It is less "shifty" than my V8 5.7L powered Jeep GC with a 5-speed was in t he mountains, so pretty darn good.

I am very curious how fast the diesel tests out to be.

It's going to be slow. I'd like to see 0-30 numbers though.

Back