New Mazda Crossbars - One end loose. Is that an issue?

:
2018 CX-9 GT
I received my OEM Mazda cross bars in the mail this week. Unboxed them today and noticed that one of the ends has two Torx screws holding the ends to the crossbar. Three of the ends are tight but one is very loose and slides. Here's a picture and video. I have tried to tighten them and they won't budge. Is this a feature or a problem? Thanks.

I installed mine yesterday. I think the loose end allows the cross bar to adjust/expand as the bolts are tightened.

Both bars should have one end that is able to slide. This allows for tightening as mentioned as well as flex with a load on them--we do not want a side thrust on the roof rails. The tight bar probably has one sticky end.

Thanks everyone. I went through the instructions and the text does indicate that one end should be loose, so my question should have been akin to "one end is tight. Is that a problem?". I ended up loosening up the side that was tight so that both bars have some play. I probably won't install until the spring when weather gets warm and I'll be putting on surfboards and kayaks. (cheers2)

Back