Nitrogen + detergents = Less Carbon Buildup on Valves?

:
2018 CX-9 GT
I was reading an article in Scientific American on petrol companies adding nitrogen to their gasoline detergents to help mitigate carbon buildup on valves. Seems that both Shell and Exxon have added nitrogen to their detergents and I'm wondering if anyone has read-up on this to gauge whether it will make a significant differences in direct injection engines or if it's more of a marketing opportunity for these companies. Thanks.

I was reading an article in Scientific American on petrol companies adding nitrogen to their gasoline detergents to help mitigate carbon buildup on valves. Seems that both Shell and Exxon have added nitrogen to their detergents and I'm wondering if anyone has read-up on this to gauge whether it will make a significant differences in direct injection engines or if it's more of a marketing opportunity for these companies. Thanks.

Pretty much every gasoline detergent package, as well as almost every fuel system cleaner, uses polyetheramine chemistry. These compounds include nitrogen in their makeup. I don't know if the exact mechanism of action is understood but these compounds seem to soften carbon deposits and allow them to get blown away by the gas flows inside the engine.

In a DI engine, I don't see how these additives are going to help. Without port fuel injection, the back side of the intake valve won't be getting washed by fuel.

Correct, no effect on DI engines with keeping the valves clean. I dread the day when I need to media blast the valves on my Speed3 and maybe the CX-9.

Correct, no effect on DI engines with keeping the valves clean. I dread the day when I need to media blast the valves on my Speed3 and maybe the CX-9.

You won't. Your engine will seize with all the sludged up valves like all those VW time bombs.

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you regularly get the engine to operating temps and you push the engine into higher RPMs every once in a while, you'll be fine.

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you regularly get the engine to operating temps and you push the engine into higher RPMs every once in a while, you'll be fine.

Ah yes, I remember Mazda specifically designed the 2.5T to mitigate carbon build up on valves. Thanks for the reminder!

The Speed3 on the other hand... Might be next winter's project because this winter is fully booked lol.

Back