Engine Oil - Turbo

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
Is the 5w - 20 oil for the turbo synthetic or dino. I checked the manual and it doesn't specify, just says use 5w-20 SAE.
Do they even make a 5w -20 synthetic?

From my Owners Manual:

SKYACTIV-G 2.5T
Use SAE 5W-30 engine oil.
Mazda Genuine Oil is used in your Mazda
vehicle. Mazda Genuine 5W-30 Oil is
required to achieve optimum fuel
economy.

From my Owners Manual:

SKYACTIV-G 2.5T
Use SAE 5W-30 engine oil.
Mazda Genuine Oil is used in your Mazda
vehicle. Mazda Genuine 5W-30 Oil is
required to achieve optimum fuel
economy.

Yeah - that's what I saw in the manual although I inadvertently typed 20 instead of 30. Question still remains, is it dino or synthetic.

The manual does not specify syn, so I'm under the assumption that it doesn't matter. I do use full syn in all my vehicles, simply because it makes me feel better.

Come on.. don't put dino oil in a turboh engine it's more prone to coking e.g carbon deposits. The different between 5qt of dino and 5qt of full syn is a couple of $ at the least, not even worth it.

The manual does not specify syn, so I'm under the assumption that it doesn't matter. I do use full syn in all my vehicles, simply because it makes me feel better.

I use syn in my 16 and I thought all new engines basically were designed for syn but it looks like the Turbo might not care. I'll ask Mazda when I take it in for it's first oil change.

Come on.. don't put dino oil in a turboh engine it's more prone to coking e.g carbon deposits. The different between 5qt of dino and 5qt of full syn is a couple of $ at the least, not even worth it.

Jump to conclusions much? I had no intention of putting non-synthetic in. I was just trying to clarify something from the manual.

Jump to conclusions much? I had no intention of putting non-synthetic in. I was just trying to clarify something from the manual.

Not really you, but anyone considering this (since many will view this). I see people on the cx5 club asking about adding dino oil all the time.

Not really you, but anyone considering this (since many will view this). I see people on the cx5 club asking about adding dino oil all the time.

I was just trying to make sure they make syn in 5-20. Only synthetic I ever used was always 0 - XX. My 16 Touring takes 0-20 and my wife's previous CR-V took the same.

I was just trying to make sure they make syn in 5-20. Only synthetic I ever used was always 0 - XX. My 16 Touring takes 0-20 and my wife's previous CR-V took the same.
Most 0W-20 oils are full synthetic. But there're plenty of 5W-30 oils which are conventional or blend. If you change oil at Mazda dealer, make sure to ask for "full synthetic" 5W-30 oil for your 2.5T turbo engine as some of the OEM Mazda 5W-30 oils are dino. Chris_Top_Her was right. There're many cases in the past people were using conventional oil on the turbo engine which caused oil sludge issue because conventional oil was cooked in the very hot turbo charger. VW's 1.8T even had class action law suit because of this.

Yeah for turbo engine, use only full synthetic oil.

Most 0W-20 oils are full synthetic. But there're plenty of 5W-30 oils which are conventional or blend. If you change oil at Mazda dealer, make sure to ask for "full synthetic" 5W-30 oil for your 2.5T turbo engine as some of the OEM Mazda 5W-30 oils are dino. Chris_Top_Her was right. There're many cases in the past people were using conventional oil on the turbo engine which caused oil sludge issue because conventional oil was cooked in the very hot turbo charger. VW's 1.8T even had class action law suit because of this.

Yeah for turbo engine, use only full synthetic oil.

Thanks, I'll make sure I emphasis full syn when I take it in for the first change. It's free so they will probably try to use the cheapest oil they can get away with. I'll tell them I will pay the difference for syn if they were intending to use a blend.

Heck, make sure they know that it's a turbo and it takes 5w-30.

There have been comments here of service departments not knowing that the CX-5 now comes with a turbo engine.

If only they would make it more obvious, like posting the oil requirements on the oil filler cap. (attn)

Yeh, but they don't know what 03-M5 means.
oil%20cap.png

Last edited:
You can use any 5w30 that meets the required spec. However; I would use a synthetic oil in my Turbo engine. I use Synthetic oil in my Non-turbo Mazda engine. Ed

Mobil 1 in 5W-30 is always a good choice and often found on sale, but I have decided upon Castrol Edge 5W-30 for my 2019 GT-Reserve. The Castrol is rated SN+ and is formulated for gas direct injected turbo engines. I will do conservative 5000 mile OCI's. The Edge oil runs around $23 for a 5 qt. jug so with a factory filter and new crush washer, an oil change can be done for around $35.
I have a few quarts of Redine 5W-30 left over from when I used it in my 370Z and will use that for the extra 1/4 quart or so that is needed to bring the level up to the top mark on the dipstick and for any top off oil that may be needed.

Just to stir up the pot a little bit...
I only use dino oil in my twin turbo RX-7 because rotary engines burn oil as part of the combustion process and a lot of synthetic oils leave ash deposits when you burn them. Also, once you use Synth, it's not too smart to switch back to natural stuff because they're so different at a molecular level.

10-30 Castrol GTX since the 90's. No problems ever at 8k+ rpms. (drive)

Just to stir up the pot a little bit...
I only use dino oil in my twin turbo RX-7 because rotary engines burn oil as part of the combustion process and a lot of synthetic oils leave ash deposits when you burn them. Also, once you use Synth, it's not too smart to switch back to natural stuff because they're so different at a molecular level.

10-30 Castrol GTX since the 90's. No problems ever at 8k+ rpms. (drive)
Rotary engine is a different animal, and turbo engine is different from naturally aspirated engine. Turbo engine has very high temperature on turbo charger, hence a full synthetic oil is more suitable to avoid sludge issue. Besides, full synthetic oil usually is more stable and can be kept in the engine for longer OCI.

My 1998 Honda CR-V uses Castrol GTX 5W-30 since new with a 5K-mile OCI, now it has 187,580 miles and burns minimum oil between the oil change.

Back