HELP, 2016 Rear brakes - RED HOT!

ThorZ06

Hello, my wife has a 2016.5 mazda cx-5 gt with 55,000miles. We took it in to a local mechanic for new brake pads as we knew it would need to be done before our next inspection. Pads were changed, car was returned to us and after a 20mile drive our rear brakes were pouring smoke and rotors glowing red. Car was returned to the shop, no issue found and returned back to us. 10 miles later we had the same result. The car is now back in the shops possession. After some research they are believing it to be related to the rear brake TSB issues. While I understand this, the car had zero issues prior to dropping it off.

Doing some research I found there is a special maintenance mode when changing the pads in regards the the epb. If this was not done by the shop could the issues we're having be a result of this?

My major concern is this car transports my wife and daughter on a daily basis. I can't have problems with breaks or potentially starting a fire. I can only imagine it boiled the brake fluid, cooked brake seals and possibly warped the rotors when getting so hot.

Long story short I'm just looking for information to see if the tsb issues can surface when changing the pads or if not putting them In maintenance mode when changing could have damaged the epb resulting in the issues we are having and damage that occurred. Currently the car is not fixed and unsure of a path forward.

Thank you for all the help.

Josh

Is your Electrical Parking Brake still functioning? Is the red Brake Warning Light flashing? If your EPB is still functioning without any red brake warning light in dash, your rear brake calipers from factory are acting up due to flawed manufacturing process. The worst case scenario of this EPB dragging issue by these flawed rear disk calipers is a total lock up of the rear brakes like youve experienced. You need a pair of revised rear calipers.

TSB R052/16C: Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

Yes, many DIYers and brake shops arent aware that changing rear disk pads requires a maintenance mode due to the EPB. And the caliper piston cant be turned like other rear disk brakes or the EPB mechanism inside of disk caliper could get damaged. This very likely is your case. But you certainly shouldnt rule out the lock-up problem is all started by flawed rear disk calipers from factory.

Maintenance Mode for 2016/2017 CX-5 electronic brakes

Both the times we drove the car when the brakes locked up there wasn't a warning or any other indication light flashing.

I'll guess that they pooched the calipers by not following proper procedure.

Sounds like they're release and fine when you start to drive and remain "on" after using them. They're either busted, or sticking.

Both the times we drove the car when the brakes locked up there wasn't a warning or any other indication light flashing.
You need a pair of new revised rear calipers to resolve the issue, and new rear brake rotors and pads because theyve been heated up excessively. Its been reported several times before here about total rear brake lock-up like you just experienced without any warnings. The TSB has all the details of this EPB dragging issue and the part list you need to fix it. You should also ask the brake shop if they know the maintenance mode and not turning the caliper piston. Since you dont have any warnings while the brake lock-up happening, and the EPB seems working normally, I feel the brake shop did the rear pad replacement correctly.

Back