2013~2016 2013 CX-5 Manual Clutch Issues

Ricebowl58

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 4 Cylinder 6 Speed Manual & Front Wheel Drive
Hey Everyone,

Newly Registered here although I'm been looking over these forums for a while...

I have a 2013 Mazda CX 5 manual transmission with 95,000 Miles on it. I just recently replaced the slave cylinder after discovering a leak. However since replacing it my clutch pedal has become squeaky (which I just recently lubricated / greased more and has slightly improved), but also that my clutch actually makes a clicking sound similar to the sound of a ball point clickly pen. Curious if anyone else has the same issue and what you did to fix the problem. Its pretty loud and with all the shifting I do in the city it's pretty irritating to listen to.

Edit: Does anyone think that I could possibly have a bad slave cylinder (it's not currently leaking brake fluid)

Bob R

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,

Newly Registered here although I'm been looking over these forums for a while...

I have a 2013 Mazda CX 5 manual transmission with 95,000 Miles on it. I just recently replaced the slave cylinder after discovering a leak. However since replacing it my clutch pedal has become squeaky (which I just recently lubricated / greased more and has slightly improved), but also that my clutch actually makes a clicking sound similar to the sound of a ball point clickly pen. Curious if anyone else has the same issue and what you did to fix the problem. Its pretty loud and with all the shifting I do in the city it's pretty irritating to listen to.

Edit: Does anyone think that I could possibly have a bad slave cylinder (it's not currently leaking brake fluid)

Bob R
Bad slave cylinder should not make any noises from clutch system. IMO you may need throw-out bearing and may be other parts for your clutch system judging by your driving condition with frequent use of clutch, and failed slave cylinder for clutch, as usually slave cylinder is the last component to fail.

Bad slave cylinder should not make any noises from clutch system. IMO you may need throw-out bearing and may be other parts for your clutch system judging by your driving condition with frequent use of clutch, and failed slave cylinder for clutch, as usually slave cylinder is the last component to fail.

I'll look into it being the bearing, I played with it more tonight and its something to do with the clutch inside the car when it pushes in and out. Tried to lube that as a temporary solution without any luck. It's just super odd that this all started after I got the car down off the lift from replacing the slave cylinder.

A bad slave cylinder can transmit noise back to the pedal even via the fluid but so can the thrust bearing and release lever. The clutch on a CX5 should be very light but with age they get harder because the diaphragm tempers with age. That causes the pedal to go stiff and puts the linkage under load. It*s quite a big job but changing the clutch removes the load and would transform the car for your city driving. It takes the load off the linkage (pedal etc) and will probably address your creaky pedal.

A bad slave cylinder can transmit noise back to the pedal even via the fluid but so can the thrust bearing and release lever. The clutch on a CX5 should be very light but with age they get harder because the diaphragm tempers with age. That causes the pedal to go stiff and puts the linkage under load. It*s quite a big job but changing the clutch removes the load and would transform the car for your city driving. It takes the load off the linkage (pedal etc) and will probably address your creaky pedal.

UPDATE:

Replaced the clutch master cylinder this morning. Pretty lengthy job no more squeak or clicking sound. Wish it could of been simpler but it is what it is. Just bad timing since it happened within a day or two of replacing the slave cylinder. It was cold today (The colder the weather the less squeak there was) so won't know if it comes back until it warms back up. Hopefully that did it... Thanks for the input

Back