Rear upper control arm replacement

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
So, I noticed that there was negative camber for both rear wheels of my Mazda5 and the right rear tire has a lot of inner edge tire wear and the left rear tire's inner edge disconnected from the casing so it was bubbled up. That could have blown while driving. Anyway. I replaced that tire. I bought two adjustable control arms, because OEM control arms don't let you adjust camber. I replaced the right rear side because I didn't want more tire wear. That went in pretty easily. Then, I got around to the left rear side and that was much more difficult. You have to remove the rubber exhaust hangar. There is almost no space to get the top bolt out completely.
I eventually got it off using WD-40 and screwdrivers and a pair of pliers used for pushing. This was a total pain. Anyway, putting them back on took all of 10 seconds.
Now, the negative camber is gone.
Hints, you need your jack to lift up the wheel assembly in order to screw in the outer part of the control arm to the hub assembly. 17 mm wrench and socket and drive.

The service manual wants you to drop the rear subframe. Easier to cut off that exhaust hanger. :)

Back