Coming from a 2008 Acura TSX, alleviate my 1 concern

Passafire

I've pretty much settled on a 2019 CX-5 Touring AWD w/o PP. As much as I would love the turbo, the Touring AWD is already at the extreme high end of my budget.

My single concern at this point is level of drop off in acceleration and passing power I'm going to experience coming from my 2008 Acura TSX. Daily I have to deal with merging onto a 70mph highway in a very short ramp leaving work that merges directly into the left hand lane, and I also heavily desire some passing power for the same highway I'm on every single day.

I know it's a bit apples to oranges here but I'm wondering if you all might be able to gauge how bad this is going to feel for me? I don't have a Mazda dealer near me to test it on the same roads, I've test driven a CX-5 but the closest dealer to me is about 45 minutes away and in a city environment.

2008 Acura TSX:
205hp
164lb/ft torque
Weighs 3300lbs
Premium fuel only, I average 22mpg and pretty sick of paying for premium (last 2 years I've done midgrade when not traveling as I live at altitude and have gotten away with it)

2019 CX-5 Touring AWD:
187hp
186lb/ft torque
Weighs 3600lbs

I'm losing 18hp while adding 300lbs of weight. The extra 22lb/ft of torque though may balance that out a bit? I'm ok with a little less performance but I'm not wanting to feel like I'm driving a CRV.

Last edited:
Consider that the Honda engine isnt making any more power than the Mazdas until youre above ~6000 rpm. The absolute number might be higher, but unless youre holding the engine close to redline all the time, the Mazda engines higher torque number matters more.

Just drop it into sport mode on the entrance ramp and put the pedal to the metal. You will have plenty of power.

ps: we had a CR-V it ain't no CR-V.

pss: I'm talking about my 16 Touring, not our Reserve, so I'm familiar with the 2.5 non-turbo engine.

I just don't see finding a used GTR for $26K or less in the next 3-4 months though. If I had more wiggle room on my price this would be more of an option for me to consider. The Touring AWD is already stretching my budget but seems well worth it vs. the competition at the same price level.

Does your next vehicle have to be a crossover? If not, have you considered a Mazda 3? Same drivetrain, a lot less weight, and available AWD if you need it. Just a thought.

Edit: Oh yeah, and cheaper!

Last edited:
Does your next vehicle have to be a crossover? If not, have you considered a Mazda 3? Same drivetrain, a lot less weight, and available AWD if you need it. Just a thought.

Edit: Oh yeah, and cheaper!

Yeah, wife and I are looking to have a kiddo soon and it just seems like a better option. I'm also looking forward to increased ride height.

I wouldn't buy a new car without test driving in the environment you will be driving..you need to drive one on a highway or buy the turbo(burnout)

Did you get a good test of the acceleration on your test drive? I drove mine on 3 occasions (while shopping around) before buying it. Maybe a 2nd test drive is in order.

I did, but it was all city driving so not a real good chance to open it up. There's also that blind excitement of driving something new that I think would make us miss some things. I'll be driving it again before a purchase either way but thought some current owners could give me their take vs what I'm used to.

I'm going to test drive a Tucson this afternoon but the engine in it almost makes it a nonstarter for me, gotta appease the wife though!

I have the 2.5 NA, and in terms of power and acceleration I wouldn't consider getting another one. The ONLY reason I'm considering a new Mazda CX-5 is the 2.5T.

I have the 2.5 NA, and in terms of power and acceleration I wouldn't consider getting another one. The ONLY reason I'm considering a new Mazda CX-5 is the 2.5T.

It's night and day between the 2.5 and 2.5T but the 2.5 can still hold it's own on acceleration. I've never had any problems accelerating onto the interstate or passing.
I came from a V6 Maxima and never found the 2.5 lacking. We now have both 16 Touring and 19 Reserve.

Best thing for the Op to do is get the Mazda dealer to let him take it out on the Interstate or at least a four lane highway.

I just don't see finding a used GTR for $26K or less in the next 3-4 months though. If I had more wiggle room on my price this would be more of an option for me to consider. The Touring AWD is already stretching my budget but seems well worth it vs. the competition at the same price level.

I'm seeing them hovering around $30K on Autotrader, but that's asking price, and you have a trade-in, so there is room for debate, especially once the 2020's drop in 1-2mo.

I'm seeing them hovering around $30K on Autotrader, but that's asking price, and you have a trade-in, so there is room for debate, especially once the 2020's drop in 1-2mo.

Exactly....shoot I'm seeing good deals on used low mileage CX-9's in my region. Pretty sure certified CX5's with 2.5T engines will be available in a few months.

I've pretty much settled on a 2019 CX-5 Touring AWD w/o PP. As much as I would love the turbo, the Touring AWD is already at the extreme high end of my budget.

My single concern at this point is level of drop off in acceleration and passing power I'm going to experience coming from my 2008 Acura TSX. Daily I have to deal with merging onto a 70mph highway in a very short ramp leaving work that merges directly into the left hand lane, and I also heavily desire some passing power for the same highway I'm on every single day.

I know it's a bit apples to oranges here but I'm wondering if you all might be able to gauge how bad this is going to feel for me? I don't have a Mazda dealer near me to test it on the same roads, I've test driven a CX-5 but the closest dealer to me is about 45 minutes away and in a city environment.

2008 Acura TSX:
205hp
164lb/ft torque
Weighs 3300lbs
Premium fuel only, I average 22mpg and pretty sick of paying for premium (last 2 years I've done midgrade when not traveling as I live at altitude and have gotten away with it)

2019 CX-5 Touring AWD:
187hp
186lb/ft torque
Weighs 3600lbs

I'm losing 18hp while adding 300lbs of weight. The extra 22lb/ft of torque though may balance that out a bit? I'm ok with a little less performance but I'm not wanting to feel like I'm driving a CRV.

I went from a 2007 TSX with Navi to my 17' and 19' CX-5's. I loved the TSX, but the Mazda is just as good if not better in almost every category. I would opt for the 2.5T if you're worried about power. However, my 17's power isn't that bad. Either way, I would recommend driving both the turbo and non-turbo.

2019 CX-5 Touring AWD:
187hp
186lb/ft torque
Weighs 3600lbs
I'm losing 18hp while adding 300lbs of weight.

I don't understand why you want the AWD version of the CX-5, especially since you are coming from a FWD vehicle.

Getting a FWD CX-5 will alleviate many of your concerns....
- You'd save a significant $1400 by going with FWD, since you say the Touring AWD is "already at the extreme high end of my budget."
- You will get better gas mileage and lower maintenance costs with FWD, which will further help with finances.
- It will weigh less than the AWD CX-5.
- The FWD version is considerably faster than the AWD version! The 0-60 time Car & Driver got was nearly 0.5 second faster for the FWD model.

I don't understand why you want the AWD version of the CX-5, especially since you are coming from a FWD vehicle.

Getting a FWD CX-5 will alleviate many of your concerns....
- You'd save a significant $1400 by going with FWD, since you say the Touring AWD is "already at the extreme high end of my budget."
- You will get better gas mileage and lower maintenance costs with FWD, which will further help with finances.
- It will weigh less than the AWD CX-5.
- The FWD version is considerably faster than the AWD version! The 0-60 time Car & Driver got was nearly 0.5 second faster for the FWD model.

100% of the cars on the lot in my region are AWD. I'm in CO and we currently take my wife's car on trips during winter.

100% of the cars on the lot in my region are AWD. I'm in CO and we currently take my wife's car on trips during winter.

You don't have to buy a car "on the lot" in your region.

Is this vehicle replacing the Acura TSX for long winter trips? If you survived with the TSX, you will be more than fine in the CX-5.

Besides, you can take a small portion of the money you'll save with the FWD and buy a set of dedicated snow tires/wheels.
It will perform better than the AWD on regular all-seasons.

Back