Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How are reverse backing up sensors supposed to operate?

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 AWD Grand Touring

Just an update, I took it to the dealership and the sensors are indeed not working correctly. However, there is a posted TSB about the issue "Some vehicles may exhibit the rear parking sensor beeping without any obstacles behind it when the shift lever is shifted into Reverse."

He showed me the repair procedure, they basically have to back-track all the cabling for the rear sensors along the entire car to pinpoint the wire interference causing the problem. It's a wiring interference problem. It's very involved, can take 4-5 hours to diagnose, they have to remove panels and parts and the dashboard on the car to gain access to the wiring, it's very complex to diagnose where the problem is in the wiring and then fix it. My dealership has never encountered this issue before, so it's the first one for them.

Thankfull it's all under warranty. I just have to drop the car off to them and leave it there a whole day so they can work on it, which I scheduled for Tuesday, so I'll chime in back in once it's fixed to confirm what exactly was causing it for ya'll for future reference.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    That's interesting.

I wonder what type of signal is being sent from the sensors that is subject to interference?
    And it sounds like the interference can come from lots of sources, not just a specific frequency or type.

Maybe needs shielded cable.

Registered Member

If it were me, I would not have it repaired. You just hope the dash and panels are reinstalled so you don't develop rattles and strange noises. The sensor is nice but just use your mirror.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by CX_FIVER View Post
    If it were me, I would not have it repaired. You just hope the dash and panels are reinstalled so you don't develop rattles and strange noises. The sensor is nice but just use your mirror.
    OP's referring to back-up sensors, not blind-spot.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    OP's referring to back-up sensors, not blind-spot.
    I understand. I was referring to when the OP backs up, use the mirror. I have used the mirror to back up for decades and still use the mirror until the sensor beeps. It is nice to hear the beep and stop but, to me, not worth having the dash removed.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow How are reverse backing up sensors supposed to operate?

I understand. I was referring to when the OP backs up, use the mirror. I have used the mirror to back up for decades and still use the mirror until the sensor beeps. It is nice to hear the beep and stop but, to me, not worth having the dash removed.
    The problem for OP's rear parking sensors is they beep continuously whenever he shifts the gear to reverse. This is very annoying and he definitely has strong desire to get them fixed.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    The problem for OP's rear parking sensors is they beep continuously whenever he shifts the gear to reverse. This is very annoying and he definitely has strong desire to get them fixed.
    I wonder if the OP turned it off if that would disconnect it? I assume it would.

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

Interesting strategy, but it's covered under warranty and presumably the next buyer wants them to work.

I wonder if the OP turned it off if that would disconnect it? I assume it would.
    It seems OP's rear parking sensors are Mazda's genuine accessory which is like a third-party add-on unit. There's a physical switch usually installed in the trunk area. Yeah OP can turn his annoying malfunctioned rear parking sensors off easily if he can find that on-off switch.

Registered Member

It seems OP's rear parking sensors are Mazda's genuine accessory which is like a third-party add-on unit. There's a physical switch usually installed in the trunk area. Yeah OP can turn his annoying malfunctioned rear parking sensors off easily if he can find that on-off switch.
    I don't understand. I've not heard of a Mazda Genuine Accessory.

Are you saying this is an aftermarket thing different from a factory installed (port/dealer) function that has the On/Off switch in the dash?

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    I don't understand. I've not heard of a Mazda Genuine Accessory.

Are you saying this is an aftermarket thing different from a factory installed (port/dealer) function that has the On/Off switch in the dash?
    Mazda factory Front and Rear Parking Sensors are only now available on 2019 CX-5 Signature although they've been available in other regions for many years. The factory Front and Rear Parking Sensors are integrated with Back-Up Camera and Infotainment System. But those Rear-only Parking Sensors are available as Mazda genuine accessory and it's an independent system which is not integrated with Back-Up Camera and Infotainment System. It's like aftermarket parking sensors which can only beeps. OP has a 2018 CX-5, so his Rear Parking Sensors listed on window sticker have to be a Mazda genuine accessory. But this Rear Parking Sensors as the accessory are totally different from factory Front and Rear Parking Sensors.

Here're true factory integrated Front and Rear Parking Sensors and Back-up Camera. The rear parking sensors incorporate with back-up camera on the same screen. The infotainment screen can also display front parking sensors with graph too! Notice even the Back-up Camera function is more sophisticated than ours as it features not only a static blue guideline like us, but also an additional dynamic yellow "predicted" guideline depending on your steering wheel angle!

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    The front sensors are integrated into the rear camera so it generates an image of the front and back sensors on the screen that drops out at about 3mph. Cars with HID headlights must have headlamp washers but not LEDs, don't ask me why!
    The parking sensors show up on the rear camera screen too but no headlight washers and no rear camera washer as you can see!

The front sensors come on automatically immediately after having reversed OR they can be manually operated from a button on the dash. When you drive off they go off at about 5mph or you can push the switch again.

Registered Member

Interesting.

Again, being new to the brand, I had no idea 2019 was the first year for those.

As always, thanks for the detailed feedback.

So much to learn...

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

Notice even the Back-up Camera function is more sophisticated than ours as it features not only a static blue guideline like us, but also an additional dynamic yellow "predicted" guideline depending on your steering wheel angle!
    The omission of this feature (across all trim lines) is inexplicable. The backup camera itself is adequate, but low resolution. An area Mazda could improve for sure.

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 AWD Grand Touring

Ok, situation is more complex than originally thought. Let me see if I can summarize this short and to the point.

My car has the accessory package rear parking sensors, these were installed after the car was manufacturered, at the dealership when it was brand new.

This rear parking sensor kit package is different than if the rear parking sensors were installed during manufacturing. If they were installed during manufacturing the module would be in a different place, and the wiring would span the length of the car, and the TSB would apply to this type of installation for the fix where they have to track down the wiring interference.

However, because I have the accessory package installed after manufacturing the package is installed differently. The module and wiring is all in the back. Because of this style of installation the likely cause of the problem is a faulty module. This accesory package does have a warranty period, but mine is already past warranty, it's shorter warranty than the car because it's an accessory part.

With this accessory package you cannot just buy specific components, you have to purchase the entire accessory package and re-install it all. That means $600 for me to purchase it, and then have the new stuff replace the old stuff. There just isn't any other option.

So, we decided to just leave it all alone as is. While we could have had it disconnected we were worried the rear cross traffic alert would also then be disabled since it uses the same sensors, which work fine, the sensors are fine, it's just the module. That feature of the car works just fine, so I didn't want to deactivate it and lose it. Therefore, we decided to just leave it all as is. The beeping only happens in reverse, and all it means is my rear parking sensors won't work right, but the rear cross traffic alert still will.

In summary, the problem can be fixed, but it will cost me over $600 to do so therefore I opted to leave it alone for now. If I ever have extra cash in the future I can have the module replace. Right now, it just isn't that big of a deal, and it does not annoy me in any way. It's not like I drive the car in reverse. So not a big deal really, and the option is there in the future if I ever want to fix it if I have extra cash I want to burn.

Cliff Notes:

Because it's an accessory package the rear parking sensors are installed in a different way, and to fix the issue requires buying a new accessory package so the module can be replaced, which would cost a lot of money cause the parts are out of warranty at this time. I decided to leave it alone for now.

Registered Member

1-So the rear cross traffic alert beeps differently if a car is coming?

2-Did they give you a quote to replace the unit? I asume the $600 does not include labor.

3-A silly question...is the cross traffic alert also a Mazda accessory and not a factory option? That kinda makes no sense to me that they use the same sensors, because my cross traffic alert uses the Blind Spot Monitoring sensors, and I don't have rear parking sensors.

(What a goat rodeo.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast