Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How are reverse backing up sensors supposed to operate?

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 AWD Grand Touring

How are reverse backing up sensors supposed to operate?

On my 2018 CX-5 GT I think I have the reverse parking/backing up sensors, but wondering if they are operating normally, I've never had that feature before.

When I put my car into reverse, it goes "beep, beep, beep, beep, beep" while I backup, even if nothing is behind me. I haven't tried to backup toward a solid object yet to see if the beeping changes.

Is that normal for it to beep when nothing is behind you? And what should I expect when I do backup with an object behind me?

Thanks

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by BrentJustice View Post
    On my 2018 CX-5 GT I think I have the reverse parking/backing up sensors, but wondering if they are operating normally, I've never had that feature before.

When I put my car into reverse, it goes "beep, beep, beep, beep, beep" while I backup, even if nothing is behind me. I haven't tried to backup toward a solid object yet to see if the beeping changes.

Is that normal for it to beep when nothing is behind you? And what should I expect when I do backup with an object behind me?

Thanks
    No, that is not normal. Now, on our's, that also has the front sensors, it will beep in reverse if there is an object in the front of the vehicle. To me that's odd, as my Lexus does not do that.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow How are reverse backing up sensors supposed to operate?

Thanks
    Firstly, your 2018 CX-5 GT doesn’t have rear parking sensors from factory. Yours is an add-on accessory or an aftermarket unit if you really have one. Verify it by checking if you have 2 small round sensors on your rear bumper.

Like Sig cx-5 said, the rear (or front) parking sensors should not act the way your described. It beeps only when there’s an object near the bumper. Take the CX-5 back to your Mazda dealer for warranty service.

By the way, there*s an aftermarket device which is simply beeping whenever you shift the gear to reverse to warn the people near by. But that*s a loud beep.

Registered Member

I looked at my car's window sheet and it says it has "Parking Sensors." I also looked at the back of my car and there are 4 rear sensor dots. The sound I hear is only on the inside.

I recorded a video of what it sounds like in reverse, remember, this is with nothing behind me, and it happens everytime I put the car in reverse, even in an empty parking lot, everywhere I'm at.Is this normal?

https://youtu.be/YMiPpvYQyXc

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Just to clarify, rear parking sensors are not standard equipment on the 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring, but they are a Mazda add on accessory you order with the car, just like roof rails and hitches. They are installed by Mazda (not sure if at the factory, at the port, or by the dealer).

As has been stated, the behaviour you describe is not normal.

Registered Member

Right, I absolutely understand that. I purchased the car used, not new.

So in the video I provided, I'm trying to determine if those are the rear parking sensors, and if they are operating correctly?

My car's window sticker has "Parking Sensors" on it, I have 4 sensor dots on the back, and that's the sound I hear in reverse even with nothing behind me, or moving, it does that sitting still in reverse.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

Yup, it's broke.
    Dealer can fix it.

Arrow How are reverse backing up sensors supposed to operate?

So in the video I provided, I'm trying to determine if those are the rear parking sensors, and if they are operating correctly?

My car's window sticker has "Parking Sensors" on it, I have 4 sensor dots on the back, and that's the sound I hear in reverse even with nothing behind me, or moving, it does that sitting still in reverse.
    If “Parking Sensors, Rear“ is listed within your true factory window sticker, yours was installed at the port as a Mazda genuine accessory. The item is included in 3-year / 36K-mile new car warranty. Take your CX-5 to your Mazda dealer to fix this parking sensor problem as yours is not normal.

Registered Member

Thank you all so much for the feedback and help. I'll schedule an appointment with the dealer.

Registered Member

CX-5 AWD, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    No, that is not normal. Now, on our's, that also has the front sensors, it will beep in reverse if there is an object in the front of the vehicle. To me that's odd, as my Lexus does not do that.
    This is actually a good feature that your front sensors are also active (along with the reverse sensors) when you are reversing in to a garage and turning at the same time, trying to avoid a fence in front of the garage. While you are concentrated in the rear of the car you might hit the fence or tree or wall or whatever that lies in front of the car. If it is a straight back up in to the garage, then there is less of that problem.

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

In your video I see a car behind you. I guess you also tried it with nothing behind you too, and it still beeps.

Registered Member

Correct, it does that every single time I backup no matter where I'm at, always does it, with nothing behind me... that car was off to the left in the video, not behind the car... but yeah, all the time it does it

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

It only takes one bad ultrasonic sensor out of the 4 to trigger a warning sound. Luckily it is covered under warranty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast