CX-5 Engine Rocker Recall. Should I still do a New Lease?

Hi , finally got a good negotiation on a CX-5 GT w/ Premium Package AWD. Plan is to close lease on Sept 30th. The only hesitation I am having now is this engine recall, the VIN for the car I am interested in is included in the recall. Seems like it is just a quick software fix. Do you guys anticipate any issues in the future?

Am I being stupid leasing a brand new car with an active recall, and one that is part of the recall?!

Thanks!

I do not see what the issue would be, as long as the recall was done.

If you are looking for a company without recalls, I do not know if you will find any. Doing recall work is a good percentage of what dealer techs do these days no matter what the marque is.

Relax and enjoy the vehicle and paying only for the depreciation... Leasing has worked out great for me, and I have shown many of friends and family the light as well.

We leased our 2016.5 CX-5, then we liked it more than anything current to trade in on, so we decided to keep it, and we bought it out before the lease expired.

Of the 7 I have leased, I have only bought out 2, the others just got traded in on other vehicles as a used car trade in.

+1 to all Mazdadude said, plus... leasing is the safest way to get into a current NA CX-5. You'll have the piece of mind knowing that if the engine becomes an issue, you will have a no risk exit in 3 years.

No one can say how this rocker arm problem will play out, or if it's really fixed yet. If you like the car, lease it and drive worry free. In 3 years there's likely to be a new generation of the CX-5 that you'll really want anyway.

+1 to all Mazdadude said, plus... leasing is the safest way to get into a current NA CX-5. You'll have the piece of mind knowing that if the engine becomes an issue, you will have a no risk exit in 3 years.

No one can say how this rocker arm problem will play out, or if it's really fixed yet. If you like the car, lease it and drive worry free. In 3 years there's likely to be a new generation of the CX-5 that you'll really want anyway.

I assume the recall will be fixed before you lease it. After you lease, you have the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. Then the lease will be over. I don't understand your concern.

I assume the recall will be fixed before you lease it. After you lease, you have the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. Then the lease will be over. I don't understand your concern.

Just wondering if it's truly a software fix for a software issue vs an actual hardware issue that we don't know about. I love the CX-5 and yes it is a lease, but then I also don't want any issues during the lease, it's quite a hassle to get the car serviced when I have work commitments 7 days of the week.

If it was a hardware fix theyd have to publish it in tech docs and they havent. Mazda tend to be fairly transparent about such things.

Just wondering if it's truly a software fix for a software issue vs an actual hardware issue that we don't know about. I love the CX-5 and yes it is a lease, but then I also don't want any issues during the lease, it's quite a hassle to get the car serviced when I have work commitments 7 days of the week.
If you really hate to take your CX-5 to Mazda dealer for any services, then you should consider a 2.5T which has no major issues so far. You should only see minimum payment increase for a lease, but you would enjoy a more powerful engine.

Rocker arm falling recall on 2.5L definitely is a concern IMO as the issue is safety related. I feel its a hardware issue (there should be some physical thing to prevent rocker arm falling like some other cylinder deactivation engines) and the software fix most likely cant really fix it completely. It can only reduce the possibility of happening.

If you really hate to take your CX-5 to Mazda dealer for any services, then you should consider a 2.5T which has no major issues so far. You should only see minimum payment increase for a lease, but you would enjoy a more powerful engine.

Rocker arm falling recall on 2.5L definitely is a concern IMO as the issue is safety related. I feel it*s a hardware issue (there should be some physical thing to prevent rocker arm falling like some other cylinder deactivation engines) and the software fix most likely can*t really fix it completely. It can only reduce the possibility of happening.

Conjecture.

Rocker arm falling recall on 2.5L definitely is a concern IMO as the issue is safety related. I feel its a hardware issue (there should be some physical thing to prevent rocker arm falling like some other cylinder deactivation engines) and the software fix most likely cant really fix it completely. It can only reduce the possibility of happening.

False. In fact he would be bringing the 2.5T in MORE frequently for service which is something OP hopes to minimize.

Our 2018 CX5 2.5L has only seen the dealer for scheduled fluid changes and the software update. Rock solid reliability with over 30k miles and counting.

False. In fact he would be bringing the 2.5T in MORE frequently for service which is something OP hopes to minimize.

Our 2018 CX5 2.5L has only seen the dealer for scheduled fluid changes and the software update. Rock solid reliability with over 30k miles and counting.

Why would he have to take the turbo in more frequently for service?

Oil changes are more critical on turbo engines, spark plugs require more frequent changes on the 2.5T. With extra power comes extra maintenance.

The extra maintenance on the turbo engine is pretty trivial. I do love the fact that the turbo will run fine on regular octane. Although the turbo will eventually fail, it should last at least 100,000 miles and I wouldn't keep it to that point. I'd say the 7,000 dollar price difference is much more significant and that's why I bought an upgraded sport trim.

It's worth noting you would still get some of that difference back when you sell the vehicle, but not all of it.

Oil changes are more critical on turbo engines, spark plugs require more frequent changes on the 2.5T. With extra power comes extra maintenance.

Only difference is 40k miles for plugs. So If I keep for 100k, I'm changing the plugs 2 times , no biggie. No difference in oil changes. No CD, more power, turbo was a no brainer for me since I was getting preferred package..$1,800 difference over 10 years in price for a vehicle that is more fun to drive.

Only difference is 40k miles for plugs. So If I keep for 100k, I'm changing the plugs 2 times , no biggie. No difference in oil changes. No CD, more power, turbo was a no brainer for me since I was getting preferred package..$1,800 difference over 10 years in price for a vehicle that is more fun to drive.

Do you mean it was only 1800 over the trim you were going to get? I wish it was only 1800 more, I definitely would go for it at that price.

If you are going to keep your vehicle for 10 years, then the difference in price really is trivial.

Back