2020 model year changes

Interested in the new 8" display he talks about, that's one upgrade the CX-5 really needs is a better infotainment system.

Also interesting in this "Off Road Traction Assist" thing. I'm assuming it's some sort of software selectable off-road option, maybe similar to Suburu X-Mode ?

The paddle shifters are cool, but I don't feel bad about my 2019 not having t hem. The computer is programmed well. The offroad traction deal...that, if done well, I am wishing I had.

That's great news! There's no incentive to upgrade there.

I'm waiting to see if they offer a better brown interior option for 2020. Something similar to BMW's cognac interiors. The current brown looks more like a dark plumb in certain light. If not, I'll pick up a 2019 and save a few bucks.

I am surprised no full LED turn signals. The image he had at the end also doesn't look like the standard Mazda notice for upcoming changes to the model year.

Base price will increase to accommodate the standard full safety suite. Look for around a $500 base price increase as the (unadvertised) i-Activsense package is currently $625.
Another "upgrade" for 2020 is that you will only get a touchscreen at the 35k price point (Reserve) or higher.

That's great news! There's no incentive to upgrade there.

Paddle shifters are the only interesting upgrade I see. Not surprising as it was new for the 17 MY and isn't due for an new generation for another 2 years or so. It doesn't really need many changes to be competitive.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a credit card style key included on the upper trim levels, a neat luxury feature that would further differentiate the more expensive trims. I had this feature on my last vehicle and it is very nice being able to have a full key (including physical key) in your wallet. Land Rover has an "activity key" watchband design but I much prefer the credit card style.

Last edited:
Like a bigger screen, but the paddle shifters are useless for me. Had a BMW335i and almost never used them.

Like a bigger screen, but the paddle shifters are useless for me. Had a BMW335i and almost never used them.

I agree. There is no way you're cracking off shifts more precisely timed than the ECU. Engine braking for corners or just messing around are the only legit applications I see for this.

I do want to know more about offroad mode. I'd also like to pat myself on the back again for suggesting an improvement a few years before mazda did it, and I'm sure it will be good. Just like I said sound deadening and so forth would be, back in 2015 when everyone poopood my thoughts...

I'd like to see a credit card style key included on the upper trim levels, a neat luxury feature that would further differentiate the more expensive trims. I had this feature on my last vehicle and it is very nice being able to have a full key (including physical key) in your wallet. Land Rover has an "activity key" watchband design but I much prefer the credit card style.

I hope they skip the credit card key and go straight to using your phone as a key.

not really any mention on the signature...i guess it's everything the GT-R is getting.

⋯ I do want to know more about offroad mode. I'd also like to pat myself on the back again for suggesting an improvement a few years before mazda did it, and I'm sure it will be good. Just like I said sound deadening and so forth would be, back in 2015 when everyone poopood my thoughts...
And Im sure you are aware that most of those people who said that are no longer here in this forum ⋯ ;)

"Off Road Assist"...maybe electric locking differentials. Now wouldn't that be fun. But then they'd have to add ground clearance and skid plates. Before I settled on the CX 5 I was looking at something you don't get in the US, the Mitsubishi Montero 2 door. It's traditional 4x4 with low range but interestingly only comes with automatic.

Last edited:
How does this guy know what is coming in 2020? He probably knows as much as we do.

At the end of the video, it shows a print out of the changes. I assume that came from headquarters but who knows.

Interesting that they say 8 inch screen, when the new Mazda3 has a 8.8-inch widescreen display. I wonder if it will be the same?

At the end of the video, it shows a print out of the changes. I assume that came from headquarters but who knows.

Interesting that they say 8 inch screen, when the new Mazda3 has a 8.8-inch widescreen display. I wonder if it will be the same?

The new 3 has an entirely different dashboard and infot controls, so it may not be the same, just a larger version of the 7". That 3 interior is really nice.

The new 3 has an entirely different dashboard and infot controls, so it may not be the same, just a larger version of the 7". That 3 interior is really nice.

I figured they would have wanted to bring alignment between the systems, since as I understand it, the mazda3 is an entirely different platform. But maybe this 8 inch version is just a stopgap until 2021.

Back