Anyone install a Magnefine filter in their tranny or power steering?

:
2018 CX-9 GT
Just picked up my 2018 with 7,000 miles on it last Saturday. Changed the air and cabin filters (they were dirty) and gave the whole thing a good cleaning. Been thinking about preventative maintenance, especially the tranny and power steering. Has anyone installed a https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) filter on their late model CX-9? Any idea if this has an impact on the warranty? Thanks.

I hope you didn't throw out the engine air filter. I believe it has carbon in it, so it might look dirty when it's actually still clean.

I personally would like to install a filter, but I don't know what size of filter to get or how to install it. If you figure this out, please let me know.

I think most automatic transmissions have a magnet in the pan to collect metal fragments already.

Never had a Power Steering pump go bad...even with a hose blowing and running on empty...I've filled them and they just work again.

I don't see the need.

A Magnefine or similar in-line hydraulic filter on the hot ATF line to the cooler is a very good idea for anyone who plans on owning their car for many years. All hydraulic systems need clean oil. If you put in a filter, let us know the size...5/16" or 3/8". (These filters are very often used after a transmission failure to catch debris that is trapped in the cooler. In that case they are put into the cooler outlet line. Hot thin oil filters better, so for a system without failure debris the hot line is better for filtration.)

Ditto for the system on cars with hydraulic power steering. A 1/2" filter in the return line to the reservoir may prevent failure of the steering rack. Our CX9s have electric steering.

I hope you didn't throw out the engine air filter. I believe it has carbon in it, so it might look dirty when it's actually still clean.

I personally would like to install a filter, but I don't know what size of filter to get or how to install it. If you figure this out, please let me know.

I still have the air filter. It looks exactly like the filter I replaced it with, only it had leaves, bugs, dirt, and other crud on it. Really didn't look like carbon - the new filter was white and clean, whereas the old filter was not. Just looked like a dirty filter. Same with the cabin filter: That one was dark with bugs and junk in it. Replaced it with a filter containing active charcoal and the cabin smells great. :)

I think most automatic transmissions have a magnet in the pan to collect metal fragments already.

Never had a Power Steering pump go bad...even with a hose blowing and running on empty...I've filled them and they just work again.

I don't see the need.
Installed a magnefine on my daughters 2012 Mazda3 skyactiv tranny hose. After 30,000 and a new filter, Zero metal particulate yet the pan magnet was covered. Good peace of mind but I think they were designed for ancient vehicles.

I think the power steering is electric on the CX-9. So wouldn’t worry about a filter there.

Back