Engine Light went on ...

Aside from the terrible brake rotors, disposable power window motors, HVAC drain that repeatedly clogs and destroys a $450 blower motor, rusting control arms, bad airbags, questionable wheel bearings, rear power liftgate that destroys itself, and all the other minor but annoying crap that has gone wrong with mine, I agree, it's all Ford's fault.
This describes so many vehicles on the road today. My last car (2002 Pontiac Grand Prix) had a similar list of issues. Over half never happened, and the car lasted me 9 years without any major issues. The other thing I find funny is people complain about have to spend a few thousand on repairs, then go spend 20-50K on a newer vehicle. That makes so much sense. LOL

Aside from the terrible brake rotors, disposable power window motors, HVAC drain that repeatedly clogs and destroys a $450 blower motor, rusting control arms, bad airbags, questionable wheel bearings, rear power liftgate that destroys itself, and all the other minor but annoying crap that has gone wrong with mine, I agree, it's all Ford's fault.

Seriously, though, it's hard to figure out what the failure rate is on these engines due to the water pumps. Is it 1% of all engines or 0.1%, or 0.01%? I have no idea. It is not hard to find forum posts on the Edge, MKZ, and other forums talking about this issue, but Ford and Mazda put this engine in a lot of vehicles.

Not sure of all the other FoMoCo parts in your list, but the brakes and wheel bearings are Ford. I wouldn't be surprised if the control arms and ball joints are too.

Regarding failure rates of the engines, that's a good question. I would have to say the failure rate of the water pump will be 100% as it cannot last forever. Its just a question of whether its caught before water destroys the engine, or if the car is still in service. To be fair, my car ran for 10 years and 200,000 Km before needing it replaced. Better than many others with much lower mileage.

This describes so many vehicles on the road today. My last car (2002 Pontiac Grand Prix) had a similar list of issues. Over half never happened, and the car lasted me 9 years without any major issues. The other thing I find funny is people complain about have to spend a few thousand on repairs, then go spend 20-50K on a newer vehicle. That makes so much sense. LOL

You're right about the last point. That's why I spent the money on the repairs, which might only be 4 months of new car payments. If I get 6 months more use from the car, I'm ahead.

Back