2009 Mazda CX-9 GT

Quote Originally Posted by arvin View Post
    A lawyer named Topaz is helping sue Ford. That's funny
    --
    Chris B
    2009 CX-9 GT AWD

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 GS AWD

Thanks for all the responses to this post. I learned about the likely source of my problems here.
    I just got my 2010 CX-9 back from my mechanic and it's fixed! Here's my story. With about 210K KM (130K miles) on it now.
    The CEL went on about 6 months ago at 200K. I checked it with a scanner/app and learned it was the cam position sensor - fault code P0016, cam out of position. I had a few oil changes done in that time and no mention of water in oil. The engine ran fine, so I left it as I suspected it was just a sensor. Then a few weeks ago, I noticed an odd 'rattle' sound at idle from the top end/under valve cover. It went away when revved, but then I saw the coolant overflow tank was empty. There was water on the dipstick and a bit of 'milkshake' under the oil filler cap. I stopped driving it, and figured it was the waterpump and timing chain system problem. Dealers and other shops quoted between 12-17 hours to do the water pump replacement, dropping the motor. Likely about $3k worth of work. Others said don't bother fixing it as you never know what else has been damaged.

I took it to a retired mechanic friend to do the work in his home garage (with all the tools from his business). He researched the waterpump fix and determined he could do it without dropping the motor. Overall he said it wasn't too bad, but had the luxury of time to do it at his leisure over a week. Probably about 10-12 hours of work at a methodical pace, with lot of cleaning. There was fair amount of sludge, but not much water evidence. It was the pump leaking, and the timing chain tensioners were at the end of their adjustment range, which likely triggered the sensor. Luckily I caught it early enough.

He replaced the pump, long timing chain, two camshaft transfer chains, chain guides & tensioners, gaskets, spark plugs and miscellaneous bits. Parts cost was about $1000, plus his discounted labour. He did two oil changes after the fix to flush out any goop leftover. He didn't do a flush with solvents or anything, as he said that can cause other problems with hydraulic acutators etc.

The car sounds great now, and I'm happy to have it running. I'll keep it through the winter, and then trade-in next spring. I still think its risky to keep much longer. The list of problems is getting longer: The transmission torque converter is weak, the AWD light is on again (hopefully just the wire to the rear diff solenoid), the transfer case is time bomb. We replaced the windshield recently and found the source of leak, and wet drivers side carpet - rusted windshield frame. That rust isn't going away.

Overall, most of the problems with this generation of CX-9 are related to the FoMoCo supplied engine and drivetrain. If yours is running well, and can get a decent trade-in, get rid of it now.
    Last edited by Singletrack; 11-18-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Registered Member

2010 Mazda 5 Sport

Thanks for posting back the result. So many people don't.

Good to hear you got it working.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-9 Signature, Machine Grey Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
    Overall, most of the problems with this generation of CX-9 are related to the FoMoCo supplied engine and drivetrain. If yours is running well, and can get a decent trade-in, get rid of it now.
    Glad you got it fixed. I agree with your statement that the Ford DNA of the previous gen CX-9 is what's causing all its issues. I traded in our 2010 CX-9 GT FWD late September and got $5400 for it. I just didn't want to deal with the hassle of replacing the water pump and thought to just trade it in while it ran well. We don't regret getting the 2019 CX-9 Signature that we traded it in for. Drove about 150 miles roundtrip yesterday and got 26mpg in mixed driving. I would have been lucky if I got 20mpg on the previous gen. While we liked our 2010 CX-9, we don't really miss it much.

Registered Member

2010 CX-9 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
    Aside from the terrible brake rotors, disposable power window motors, HVAC drain that repeatedly clogs and destroys a $450 blower motor, rusting control arms, bad airbags, questionable wheel bearings, rear power liftgate that destroys itself, and all the other minor but annoying crap that has gone wrong with mine, I agree, it's all Ford's fault.

Seriously, though, it's hard to figure out what the failure rate is on these engines due to the water pumps. Is it 1% of all engines or 0.1%, or 0.01%? I have no idea. It is not hard to find forum posts on the Edge, MKZ, and other forums talking about this issue, but Ford and Mazda put this engine in a lot of vehicles.
    Last edited by jal142; 11-19-2019 at 11:56 PM.

2009 Mazda CX-9 GT

Quote Originally Posted by jal142 View Post
    Aside from the terrible brake rotors, disposable power window motors, HVAC drain that repeatedly clogs and destroys a $450 blower motor, rusting control arms, bad airbags, questionable wheel bearings, rear power liftgate that destroys itself, and all the other minor but annoying crap that has gone wrong with mine, I agree, it's all Ford's fault.
    This describes so many vehicles on the road today. My last car (2002 Pontiac Grand Prix) had a similar list of issues. Over half never happened, and the car lasted me 9 years without any major issues. The other thing I find funny is people complain about have to spend a few thousand on repairs, then go spend 20-50K on a newer vehicle. That makes so much sense. LOL
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 GS AWD

Quote Originally Posted by jal142 View Post

Seriously, though, it's hard to figure out what the failure rate is on these engines due to the water pumps. Is it 1% of all engines or 0.1%, or 0.01%? I have no idea. It is not hard to find forum posts on the Edge, MKZ, and other forums talking about this issue, but Ford and Mazda put this engine in a lot of vehicles.

Not sure of all the other FoMoCo parts in your list, but the brakes and wheel bearings are Ford. I wouldn't be surprised if the control arms and ball joints are too.

Regarding failure rates of the engines, that's a good question. I would have to say the failure rate of the water pump will be 100% as it cannot last forever. Its just a question of whether its caught before water destroys the engine, or if the car is still in service. To be fair, my car ran for 10 years and 200,000 Km before needing it replaced. Better than many others with much lower mileage.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 GS AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
    This describes so many vehicles on the road today. My last car (2002 Pontiac Grand Prix) had a similar list of issues. Over half never happened, and the car lasted me 9 years without any major issues. The other thing I find funny is people complain about have to spend a few thousand on repairs, then go spend 20-50K on a newer vehicle. That makes so much sense. LOL
    You're right about the last point. That's why I spent the money on the repairs, which might only be 4 months of new car payments. If I get 6 months more use from the car, I'm ahead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12