First Gear

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
My last car, a Renault Duster 4x4 had a 1st gear ratio of 3.73. It was sort of a "granny gear." You'd use it to start on an incline but you'd start off in second on level ground. There were times I would have liked it to be even lower. My CX 5 has a 1st gear ratio of 3.55. I wouldn't mind it being lower but with ability to lock it out on level ground. Maybe if it had an 8 speed automatic.

I am happy with the ratios up to 3rd, after they they kind of blow. A 7/8a would go a long way in this car.

My last car, a Renault Duster 4x4 had a 1st gear ratio of 3.73. It was sort of a "granny gear." You'd use it to start on an incline but you'd start off in second on level ground. There were times I would have liked it to be even lower. My CX 5 has a 1st gear ratio of 3.55. I wouldn't mind it being lower but with ability to lock it out on level ground. Maybe if it had an 8 speed automatic.

If you put the AUTO gear selector into MANUAL mode, you can start off in 2nd gear.

I climb a very steep unpaved road frequently. The car works ok on it but I just feel it would be happier with a lower first gear.

Back