95 Octane Only

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
In all the write ups and reviews or the 2019 Signature Turbo I've run across they say you can use high test for 250hp or regular for 220hp output. Interestingly on my Colombia delivered vehicle the yellow warning sticker inside the gas cap doors says "Use 95 RON octane" with no mention of lower octane regular being an option. The Premium gas in Colombia and some other South American countries is rated at 95 and regular at 91.5 (according to Wikipedia). Also according to the latter Premium fuel in most US states is 93 octane. Looks like up to 100 in many European countries and Aral Ultimate at 102 in Germany. Wonder why US models can run on regular. Different tune?

So that would mean the Colombian /South American CX 5 would produce 220hp?

Ok looking at their Colombia website I see they are rating it at 228hp not 250.

Where is there a site that explains the different scale or why Colombian gasoline rated at 95 octane RON is equivalent to US gasoline rated at 90 octane? I'm very confused here. Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

You use RON, we combine RON and WON which drops the number about 5 points. But the gas is essentially the same.

Here in Colorado, our regular gas is 85 and it's fine unless you drive to a much lower altitude (not possible in one tank). 87 is our mid-range recommended for your turbo. And 91 is premium just pissing dollars away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

You use RON, we combine RON and WON which drops the number about 5 points. But the gas is essentially the same.

Here in Colorado, our regular gas is 85 and it's fine unless you drive to a much lower altitude (not possible in one tank). 87 is our mid-range recommended for your turbo. And 91 is premium just pissing dollars away.

Average of RON and MON or R+M/2 as it*s usually written in the US.

Average of RON and MON or R+M/2 as its usually written in the US.
Yes, (R+M)/2 is AKI (Anti-Knock Index) and used in the US、Canada、and Brazil. RON (Research Octane Number) is used in most non-US regions such as Europe、Asia、Australia、and New Zealand. Approximately 87 AKI regular gas is equivalent to 92 RON, 93 AKI premium gas is equivalent to 98 RON.

Back