Need Suggestions as I'm getting one.

warejohn

Enthusiast
Banned
:
Mazda RX7 2003
Do any of you own a (2017 & 2018) Mazda CX-5 with at least 15k miles? What significant mechanical or service issues have you had? Do you think the build quality is such that it would last to 300,000 relatively trouble free miles?

Do any of you own a (2017 & 2018) Mazda CX-5 with at least 15k miles? What significant mechanical or service issues have you had? Do you think the build quality is such that it would last to 300,000 relatively trouble free miles?

You're seriously asking people to predict whether their vehicle will last for 300,000 trouble-free miles? Why not ask about 400,000 or 500,000?

If you want 300k miles, I recommend something with toyota v6 and Aisin transmission.

I own a 2017 and have had it for two years and about 15k miles.

I am happy to report there have been no significant mechanical or service issues. Mazda makes great engines and I don't anticipate any major problems for the life of the car.

Since youre getting a used one with at least 15K miles, you have less chance to get 300K relatively trouble free miles because youll never know how this used vehicle was getting maintained for its initial 15K miles.

Between 2017 and 2018 CX-5, 2017 CX-5 definitely has better chance to get to 300K miles if proper maintenance are equally made. Cylinder deactivation feature on 2018s 2.5L has already had a recall for falling rocker arms. The history of cylinder deactivation also suggests itll have many long-term issues hurting the longevity of the engine.

If I were you trying to get to 300K miles from a used vehicle, Ill pick a 2017 Toyota Camry, or 2017 / 2018 Toyota RAV4 with previous version of I4 along with proven maintenance record.

Well there are folks out there with 200k miles and counting. Used for public transportation (uber/taxi, ect.).

I have a 16 with 25,000 miles and a 19 with 1,000 miles and both have been flawless. As far as service goes oil/filter change and tire rotation are all that's needed until you reach 50,000 or so. Then you can change the atf, rear diff and transfer case oils at your pleasure.
As far as service issues none, except one time the service department lost my car on the way from the service area to the pickup area. They parked it in the wrong lot.

Impossible to Predict. I would be comfortable saying 150K miles to 200K, if you really really want something to last 300K and that is due to financial reasons and not others (environmental etc) - you are already choosing a bad car (1-2 year old Japanese). You should search value in cars that are not well known but really reliable - Azera / Taurus / Escape Hybrid / Fusion Hybrid.

The Mazda would be expensive as it did not depreciate a lot and you might be better off buying new.

@Kaps You shouldn't buy a hybrid if you want 150,000 trouble free miles, much less 300,000. They often cost a fortune to fix after 100k.

My '17 CX5 GT+tech just got 3rd oil change at dealership. It has 15k miles.
0 problem.
As solid as day 1.

Cannot speak on Tesla battery. Owned a '05 Prius (wife's) for 8 yrs.
Was on PriusChat.com for very long time. Some owners had battery failure from 100K onwards.
This was NiMH battery Toyota used to put in Prius.
New one costed >$2500. Refurbished ones (if you can find) might cost you $500+labor.
Sold ours at 90K miles before I ran into any issues. 0 problem (3 recalls) during my 8 yrs of ownership.
Poor handling, however.

So 15k miles is the 'your qualified' number to predict how the next 285k should fare?..ridiculousness. If rock solid reliability is your number 1 you may be better served elsewhere(Toyota probably) but if your set on the cx-5, I'd go cpo 2016gt(because its better and the wheels are 10x nicer:)) or 2017 if you like things- suspension and steering a bit on the softer/lighter side.

CX5 GT 2017. 45K miles. Driven mostly on manual mode. No mechanical issues. Only 3 cosmetic issues. The rear bumper reflector left and right had loosened once. It was fixed and never became a problem again. Half of Left rear fender ripped off. Repaired under warranty.Comming from a Toyota and Honda,,,,,,, this work horse will last for a long time.

I just bought a 2018 CX-5 with 18K on it.

I have no idea if your (or my) vehicle will last 300K, no one does.

However, I would suggest whatever car you get make sure to do the standard and required maintenance intervals on it, getting all the required maintenance at each appropriate millage marker is the easiest way to ensure the best possible outcome for a vehicle. Will it ensure 300K? No way to know, but it will give the car the best potential for it. A lot of people mess up and don't do enough maintenance or check-up on the vehicle's components over time. I wouldn't worry about trying to achieve a certain millage, just do the proper maintenance, and enjoy the ride.

Follow the maintenance guide with your car. That's what I'm going to do with mine.

Last edited:
The battery pack can be an expensive replacement. I'm talking about the power inverter and other parts of the hybrid hardware that can fail shortly after/around the 100k mark (even on Toyota/Lexus hybrids) and cost a lot of money to fix. Then you have the typically inferior AWD systems which cannot send power to all 4 wheels above low speeds.

Pure EVs are a completely different subject and the direction the industry is moving. In my opinion, Rivian and Porsche have the most compelling EV designs, but with a 6 figure price tag.

Last edited:
Back