Weird Noise from Suspension Going Over bumps at low speed '19 CX-5 GTR

cali-cx-5

:
2019 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2019 CX-5 GTR with under 5 K miles on it, and at lower speeds when going over medium bumps the front right (and occasionally rear right) have a thunk sound that seems unusual. I cant see anything that is a blaring red flag), but I would best describe it as the shock fully compressing and the stopper hitting (assuming everything else is mechanically correct).

I am no expert, but grew up working on cars and still do, so I think I am decent at identifying *incorrect* sounds.

1. Has anyone had this?
2. Are the shocks at all speed dynamic and maybe just too soft at low speed?

I likely be headed into the dealer next week with this, but wanted to ask first so I know what I might be in for.

Scott

I recently had something similar that I posted here about as well. It started off with a significant clunk sound from my front end when reversing while turning my steering. It gradually got worse and turned into a constant clicking noise when going over slight bumps and especially bad while going uphill. Not sure if it's the same sound you're hearing but when I took mine in for my first oil change I had the dealer check the noise as well. It turned out my suspension bolt was loose so they tightened that and decided to tighten the cowl bolts as well. Now I'm hearing creaking noises from the cowl and I'm guessing they might've over torqued the bolt.

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2019 CX-5 GTR with under 5 K miles on it, and at lower speeds when going over medium bumps the front right (and occasionally rear right) have a thunk sound that seems unusual. I cant see anything that is a blaring red flag), but I would best describe it as the shock fully compressing and the stopper hitting (assuming everything else is mechanically correct).

I am no expert, but grew up working on cars and still do, so I think I am decent at identifying *incorrect* sounds.

1. Has anyone had this?
2. Are the shocks at all speed dynamic and maybe just too soft at low speed?

I likely be headed into the dealer next week with this, but wanted to ask first so I know what I might be in for.

Scott

Would you describe the thunk as metal to metal, or perhaps metal to rubber?
From reading here many years, I would start with the easy things under the hood like the torque of the cowl bolts, and strut nuts.

Is metal on rubber a valid response?

It is not a bang, but you hear it.

Ill call the dealer and hopefully its just something that needs to be tightened.

2017-2018's had a TSB that added a rubber sleeve to the top of the front coil springs.

Crappy if that TSB didn't fix it and the problem is still there with the current 2019s.

I had that when I first got my 2019 Reserve back in March.

It happened 3 times: twice on my rutted dirt access road, and once on hard pavement.

There was a clunk from the rear driver's side as though I had run over a tree branch, kicked it up and had it thunk on the underside. It was not metal-to-metal.

When it happened on the clear pavement, I turned around and retraced my steps at a low speed to see if there was anything I had thrown off to the side of the road. I saw nothing, but this is a rural area where the roadsides are lined with tall grass.

It happened on the dirt access road real early on in ownership and on pavement maybe in May or June.

It has not happened since.

@Avoidin Deer - so it just went away on its own?

I am going into the dealer tuesday to have them take a look

@Avoidin Deer - so it just went away on its own?

I am going into the dealer tuesday to have them take a look

It wasn't repetitive...only happened 3 times over a several month period and had not happened again in 3-4 months.

It's one of those things where you wonder if you just ran something over and did not see it. Where I live in the sticks, it's entirely possible.

As I said, i happened twice on the right-of-way headed to my house (a narrow potholed dirt road cut through the trees) and that time on pavement.

Last week I went on one of the unpaved gravel rural roads we have around here (first time I've done that with my CX-5). They're usually fine. This time it was a washboard. Even the truck ahead of me had the driver's side wheels off of the road because it was beating our vehicles up so much, even at 5 MPH. In the past 10 years, I've never seen it so bad. I turned around and went back another way because I did not want my car to get beat like that. Heck, I would have turned around had I been in my truck! There was no noise or "thump" from the suspension, and the road was rough.

Last edited:
I'm hearing the same thing from my 2019 Signature. It is coming from my driver side front suspension area whenever I go over a speed bump or dips in the road I hear a type of clunk or creak sound. I have an appointment in 2 weeks to get it looked at. It doesn't happen all the time but enough for me to be bothered with it. I checked out the TSB from the 2017-2018 and it seems like that might be it but waiting to see what the dealership will say. Hopefully it's just some loose bolts.

So similar to hawaiian_bread, this was due to some loose bolts on the front end. The tech knew exactly what it was and tightened a few others to be sure.

If you go in, you can also ask the to update the infotainment system - the new version is much faster.

I finally went in for my appointment today and they fixed the problem. They tightened the sub frame bolts and the cowl bolts. The tech said all the cowl bolts he could tighten a full 2 1/2 more turns. I have no more creak/clunk sound coming from the front suspension area. My problem is fixed. I have a 2019 Signature with 4k miles on it. The tech said the sub frame and cowl bolts are a common problem they come across of not being tightened all the way which will lead to the clunk sound.

Last edited:
Interesting.

My clunk (happened 2-3 times) stopped all by itself.

Maybe I should take mine in to have it looked at.

I traced clunk sound to cover underneath car frame. The cover that covers the underside of car has a small gap that bounces when car makes turns or hits bumps. I wedged a small piece of rubber between cover and car frame and noise is so much less. I plan on taking car in together cover tightened.

I’m experiencing this same issue in my 19 gt. It’s passed the warranty period and mileage. Any idea how much this would cost me at dealer? Am I better off showing this thread to a local mechanic?

Back