quiet tires

avi1777

16.5 2.5awd
hi guys,
looking for the quietest tires in the market,have19 rims with brigstone alenza 001 which are good but looking the plushest,quietest and smoothest tire there is out there.
tnx

avi1777
Suggest you go to tirerack.com and do some research based on customer feedback.
In general, for quieter tires...
smaller tread blocks of various sizes. Tread blocks generate noises when they get into contact with road surfaces.
Various sizes of tread blocks generates various frequencies of noises. Some of them cancel one another. That is how it gets quiet down.
You also need to consider wet traction, life span, etc. Choosing a tire is a complex decision.

hi guys,
looking for the quietest tires in the market,have19 rims with brigstone alenza 001 which are good but looking the plushest,quietest and smoothest tire there is out there.
tnx
Usually highly rated tires are plusher、quieter、and smoother. Yeah lots of people here have chosen General AltiMAX RT43 and liked it. Its the lightest tire for 225/55R19 at 24.4 lbs. Its a good name brand tire with lower price than other name brands.

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

hi guys,
tnx

Several manufacturers including Continental use sound deadening mats on the inside of the tire.

Several manufacturers including Continental use sound deadening mats on the inside of the tire.

Sorry but my BS meter is going off. The sound is coming from the connection between the road surface and the OUTSIDE of the tire.

I mean if the mats manage to dampen the vibration properties of the tire...maybe it works.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=336

Looking at above link...small pads on the inside of the tire...they aren't even egg shelled shaped...I don't buy it.

I'm guessing they made good quiet tread better and are working hard to sell the sizzle. I'd love to see tests done with these tires with and without the pads.

Edit: Found a test. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...cally-insulated-tires-really-hush-road-noise/

It's negligible.

-Mike

Last edited:
Sorry but my BS meter is going off. The sound is coming from the connection between the road surface and the OUTSIDE of the tire.

I mean if the mats manage to dampen the vibration properties of the tire...maybe it works.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=336

Looking at above link...small pads on the inside of the tire...they aren't even egg shelled shaped...I don't buy it.

I'm guessing they made good quiet tread better and are working hard to sell the sizzle. I'd love to see tests done with these tires with and without the pads.

Edit: Found a test. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...cally-insulated-tires-really-hush-road-noise/

It's negligible.

-Mike

Um, no bs, just telling you about the latest tech for quiet tires. while there is some tread noise from outside the tire, but there is also the resonance of the tire.

Here's a couple of lists from Consumer Reports for all-season tires. Notice that many are above average in quietness (up-facing arrows)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 156

"sound deadening mats "...
That's new to me.
It seems to quiet down only certain frequency by design.
Overall loudness shows little to no impact at all.
Considering the extra weight and how to patch a flat from the inside... ???

Um, no bs, just telling you about the latest tech for quiet tires. while there is some tread noise from outside the tire, but there is also the resonance of the tire.

Being that it's a negligible difference, even testing worse in some cases, I would say it absolutely is a scam. Right up there with Nitrogen filled tires.

Being that it's a negligible difference, even testing worse in some cases, I would say it absolutely is a scam. Right up there with Nitrogen filled tires.

(rofl2)
lol... and what is wrong with Nitrogen inflation?

Nobody said science was for everyone...(cool)

Back to the OP's question... Any other suggestions or ideas for his quieter set of tires?

Last edited:
You're getting 78% nitrogen with compressed air anyway, what's a few more percent going to really give you?

You're getting 78% nitrogen with compressed air anyway, what's a few more percent going to really give you?

(confused)

A quick google search gave me this:
"First is that nitrogen is less likely to migrate through tire rubber than is oxygen, which means that your tire pressures will remain more stable over the long term. Racers figured out pretty quickly that tires filled with nitrogen rather than air also exhibit less pressure change with temperature swings"

A quick summation from myself is this:

NITROGEN is an inert gas, it does not deteriorate the tire, and is not affected by temperature changes like compressed air.
Oxygen is not an inert gas, the oxygen deteriorates and oxidizes the rubber, and is affected by temperature changes.

Here is a dedicated NITROGEN page directly from the tire maker BRIDGESTONE: https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/tire-talk/nitrogen-tire-inflation

Last edited:
I remember reading where Consumer Reports did a test which compared pressure loss between air and nitrogen.The air filled tire lost about 2 psi (at most) over a years time compared to the nitrogen.I also haven't really noticed any real corrosion inside of wheels from using air.Now gas station air hoses may have alot of water which I see as a bigger factor of corrosion inside wheels.

I remember reading where Consumer Reports did a test which compared pressure loss between air and nitrogen.The air filled tire lost about 2 psi (at most) over a years time compared to the nitrogen.I also haven't really noticed any real corrosion inside of wheels from using air.Now gas station air hoses may have alot of water which I see as a bigger factor of corrosion inside wheels.

...and not just the wheels! The TPMS sensors do not like moisture either, and any exposed steel belts or wires on interior of tire will rust and spread into tire belts.

Back