2017~2024 Fuel Cap not clicking?

Hi all, first post. Wife has had three prior Mazda 3s over several years but on 9 Sep we purchased our first joint vehicle, a 19 CX-5 Signature. We are currently moving from CA to VA and are driving a moving truck and the CX-5 (both largely due to our pets; I am driving Penske truck and wife driving the CX-5). We have about 2500 mi on the CX-5 now and today our gas cap no longer clicks. Have done approx 10 fill-ups (and oh by the way it's getting outstanding mileage averaging 30.5 MPG over the 1650 mi so far). Anyone experience this? It still screws in but it never clicks. We will have it looked at once we are at our new home but basically trying to gauge if we should stop along the way. In Little Rock this evening. Thanks!

It might not be sealing properly, it should be covered under warranty, if not a new fuel cap is around $20.

There are 2 Mazda dealers in Memphis which is on your path on I-40. Go to Mazda of Germantown.

Hi all, first post. Wife has had three prior Mazda 3s over several years but on 9 Sep we purchased our first joint vehicle, a 19 CX-5 Signature. We are currently moving from CA to VA and are driving a moving truck and the CX-5 (both largely due to our pets; I am driving Penske truck and wife driving the CX-5). We have about 2500 mi on the CX-5 now and today our gas cap no longer clicks. Have done approx 10 fill-ups (and oh by the way it's getting outstanding mileage averaging 30.5 MPG over the 1650 mi so far). Anyone experience this? It still screws in but it never clicks. We will have it looked at once we are at our new home but basically trying to gauge if we should stop along the way. In Little Rock this evening. Thanks!
Dont worry too much about this. Unless you have CEL on, just keep driving to VA until settled, then find time to go to Mazda dealer for warranty service. Most likely the return spring in fuel cap doesnt have enough power to reach the return clicking point possibly due to lack of enough lubrication by gas vapor. The worse case is you need a new fuel cap, and it should be covered under warranty.

My wife complained about the same thing. She said it didn't click when she filled it up. I went out and turned it and it clicked. Maybe a delayed action.
Will keep an eye on it and hopefully no CEL's will appear.

Ive had mine since May and just assumed they didnt click, but wlongs post made me go double check. It does, but requires a little more effort and the sound is quieter than other vehicles. In a quiet garage I could hear it but dont think most drivers would be able to in a noisy filling station.

ok, just went and checked my cx5 , which hasn't clicked yet, at 700 miles and
2 tanks of gas...

Well , it does click with a little extra twist to cap...

So, thanks for making me check, verify and get it right !

Ok so quick update. Thanks for the head check on this. This morning we checked it before we left the hotel and got a reaply weak click, but it did click. Filled up twice during the day and at the second fill up in Tennessee someplace it clicked like it originally did. We plan a first oil change hopefully this coming weekend and will ask them to look at cap at same time but for now at least seems OK, no CELs. 30.2 MPG over 2250ish miles (I forget the exact number). Rental truck has done 9.1 MPG over same distance...ugh.

Back