Dealer says no transmission dipstick on 2018 CX5

Maybe you should email corporate and ask why they advertise this as a complimentary service, but the dealer wants to charge for something they're supposed to be doing for free. Checking trans fluid level and condition is on there....

Showed the reprint to service writer. He said he was unaware of dipstick. Still wanted to charge 1 hour labor. Talked to service manager and negotiated .5 hr labor at $75. I do not think is worth the expense after all.

To... check it?!? I'm confused.

Maybe you should email corporate and ask why they advertise this as a complimentary service, but the dealer wants to charge for something they're supposed to be doing for free. Checking trans fluid level and condition is on there....

Do the above.

Also, find the web site for your state's Consumer Protection Agency - usually part of the Office of the Attorney General, then file a complaint. Stick to the facts & uses simple declarative sentences with dates.

not only should that solve your problem, you will also be doing a public service

shadnoz - that reminds me: where did you buy your CX5, and did you get a good price?

I am in Eugene, and the single dealer here seems to have no interest in selling cars at all. I could either drive north to Salem, or south to (Medford?)

No transmission fluid change needed for Skyativ engine.

Below is from Mazda.

http://mazda.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/st/5/page/1

"DO I NEED TO REGULARLY CHANGE THE TRANSMISSION FLUID IN MY MAZDA?

All Mazda vehicles equipped with SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY* have lifetime transmission fluid that only needs to be changed when a major transmission component or the entire transmission needs replacement."

shadnoz - that reminds me: where did you buy your CX5, and did you get a good price?

I am in Eugene, and the single dealer here seems to have no interest in selling cars at all. I could either drive north to Salem, or south to (Medford?)

Go north, young man, go north. Plenty of competition in Portland. Don't limit your radius. But forget Medford.

Below is from Mazda.

All Mazda vehicles equipped with SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY* have lifetime transmission fluid that only needs to be changed when a major transmission component or the entire transmission needs replacement."

There's a lot of debate as to what the definition, or specifically Mazda's definition of "lifetime" is, and with lots of people on both sides of the change/don't change trans fluid camps. Many people (my mechanic friend included) suggest fluid and filter change at 70-80K miles.

There's a lot of debate as to what the definition, or specifically Mazda's definition of "lifetime" is, and with lots of people on both sides of the change/don't change trans fluid camps. Many people (my mechanic friend included) suggest fluid and filter change at 70-80K miles.

Im in the camp of I never change mine. But, I also agree with your mechanic friends timeline, in that if one doesnt change it by 80k Miles, I wouldnt change it at all.

Below is from Mazda.

Yeah but read between the lines. Bolded basically implies, replace the fluid when you need to replace your transmission.

They have also never been willing to define what a "lifetime" is. I drove my last car to almost 300k miles. I highly doubt it would be healthy to run one fluid that long, if it would even last that long on original factory fluid. At best, Mazda's definition for "lifetime" is to the end of the powertrain warranty.

As to the OP: Yes it has a dipstick. Yes a fluid change can be done as the transmission pan has a drain plug like the oil pan does. Refill through the dipstick hole. I did mine back around 71k miles. As it was the first, I did a round of 3 sessions of drain and fills to get as much new fluid in. Hardest part for sure was measuring the level correctly at the right temperature, but as others have stated, the scan tool is pretty cheap.

I've also noticed dealers regularly try to sell transmission fluid "flushes", but they likely are only doing a drain and fill of around 3 1/2 or so quarts of fluid and calling it a "flush". You can't flush a Skyactiv transmission without an adapter, it doesn't have any external cooler lines.

Last edited:
I know, but I do not have a scanner to verify operating temp.

Pretty much iding temp. The purpose is to get fluid settled in the pan into the system so the level is enough while the engine is running

Pretty much iding temp. The purpose is to get fluid settled in the pan into the system so the level is enough while the engine is running

Yeah, without the tool, I measured level when the blue light turned off on the dash when idling.

Back