2016.5 Audio upgrade advice needed

epm131

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT
I've had my 2016.5 GT w/ Bose a little over a year now and I'm looking to add more volume and bass. I read through the "2016 Audio upgrade" page, but still not sure what's best for me. I listen to pretty much every much type, rock, metal, rap, pop, jazz, country, etc, just loud, and yes, I sing along, with air drums and guitar included. hey, traffic is boring. I'll be reusing the factory Mazda connect infotainment, just upgrading speakers. I'll be installing it myself (not a pro, but I've done this a few times, though it's been a while). I don't want to cut body/trim panels, unless absolutely necessary, don't want to see any of it, ie it all has to be hidden under seat or behind the door panels/dash, total budget is around $1000

For bass, I would like to replace the door subs with Infinity Flex8 (https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_143597_Infinity-8-Single-2-ohm-Flex-Woofer-FLEX-8S.html), powered by their own 2chan amp. Will they fit with a mounting depth of 2.5"? Is there room in the door to add a plastic/silicone baffle behind the sub? My other option for bass, is an underseat sub (biggest I can fit), but I've never had one and not sure how it compares or how it affects the sound stage being under the seat. Can't put a sub in the spare tire well, as I already use it for tools and emergency supplies. Thoughts? Suggestions?

For the highs, I was thinking Infinity reference 6.5" coax in rear doors and 3.5" coax in dash, powered by 4chan amp, with the Infinity subs in doors, with stock center and d-pillar (maybe later). My other thought was 6.5" reference components in the front and rear doors, with underseat sub. I figured I would replace the dash speakers with the tweeters from the front door components, but not sure where I'd put the rear tweeters, thoughts, experience?

For amps, I'm thinking cerwin vega mini amps under passenger seat, pretty sure I can fit both a 2ch and 4ch under there cause they're so small.
I remember reading the factory bose hu or amp will only go down to 45hz before it rolls off. If I use a PAC converter, will the new amp get a signal lower than 45hz or will I have to boost it with gain?

Can you fit baffles in the rear doors?

Any experience with the spray sound deadener. I've always used the roll-on sheets. Any key areas that need it, besides the doors? Does the back hatch and/or wiper rattle with extra bass?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated, thanks

Last edited:
spray sound deadeners work fine

best results for least wt. gain ---> knock on the bare panel - if it resonates, add sheet butyl deadener over 25% of the area

Lots of other things ot do for best SQ, but that is a start

I like Cascade Audio (as they were the only co. of several that was able to make a coherent engineering-based reply to some questions I sent out). They have more info on their website as to all the steps needed to get a good install.

Only a manf. with DSP and Dollars can do the best job...

Back