Front Mud/Splas Guards

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
Has anyone had mud/splash guards installed? I see a company in Illinois advertising that they sell front mud/splash guards for CX-5 with a Mazda part numbers. Are the afore said available after market at any Mazda dealer? The image they post on their website is quite small and the splash guards look pretty small. I wonder if the protection against mud splatter on roads in that condition would be worthwhile. I ask because I traverse a 1 1/4 kilometer section of unpaved road coming and going. During the long rain season the road is full of muddy pot holes following rains that are impossible to avoid so the car gets a mud splash dousing on the bodywork. Would like to mitigate this if possible. The quite small images suggests their coverage/protection could be pretty modest. I wonder if worth it. Thoughts?

https://www.mazdaswag.com/oem-parts/mazda-splash-guards-front-cx-5-2017-2019-kb7wv3450

I have the OEM splash guards, front & rear. Dealer installed.

Yeh, they look tiny, but they're right-sized for the car.

There's a thread here where a member did "Before/After Splash Guard" pics of running down his muddy driveway. (I looked and cannot find it...there are lots of threads with "splash guard" in them.) They do make a difference. They are effective.

Here's a link to the search results for "Splash Guards" in the Accessories & Appearance forum if you want to try to find that thread. If nothing else, you can see how others view them and tips for installation before you dive into it.

Here's a pic posted by 7eregrine in this thread. He was responding to me as I was doing pre-purchase investigations. This helped me decide that--living in the country--I wanted to get these.

You can see how much stuff is caught in the guard/wheel well and how little there is on the rear panel.

The guard blocks the path between the wheel throw-off and the rear panel.
It's a small path; therefore, small guards are effective.

bfb1d6edd6e23ec06ef2a4dccc968bf0.jpg

Last edited:
Guys thanks very much. I see there are a number of posts on the subject. What's strange to me is local Mazda dealers here in Colombia offer rear splash guards as an accessory but not front.

Last edited:
Has anyone had mud/splash guards installed? I see a company in Illinois advertising that they sell front mud/splash guards for CX-5 with a Mazda part numbers. Are the afore said available after market at any Mazda dealer? The image they post on their website is quite small and the splash guards look pretty small. I wonder if the protection against mud splatter on roads in that condition would be worthwhile. I ask because I traverse a 1 1/4 kilometer section of unpaved road coming and going. During the long rain season the road is full of muddy pot holes following rains that are impossible to avoid so the car gets a mud splash dousing on the bodywork. Would like to mitigate this if possible. The quite small images suggests their coverage/protection could be pretty modest. I wonder if worth it. Thoughts?

https://www.mazdaswag.com/oem-parts/mazda-splash-guards-front-cx-5-2017-2019-kb7wv3450

I just installed mine today. Be careful with the jacknut and the clip nut. You can use a longer bolt to torque the nut into place like others suggested. You don't have to remove the fender molding. You can slide the clip nut into place using a small flathead. I removed the molding on one side (cracked one of the the plastic anchor point in the process) but slid the nut into place on the other side. Just be careful not to hurry and jam it and get it stuck.

It looks like I just had a defective fender trim piece. I took it off to repair the cracked plastic and the other clips popped off no problem. Regardless, you don*t really need to remove the trim. You can tap the wingnut into place using a flathead. And if u break one like I did, jb weld works great.

BTW, have you noticed increased tire noise with the splash guards? Can't tell if I'm imagining it or not. I might take them off after the winter to see if it's real.

Back