Rear Subframe Swaybar Weldnut Threads?

Riot_Polizei

Comp Engineering Student
:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Howdy fellas,

Do any of you know the thread size of the rear subframe's swaybar bolts?

I'm just about to the point where I can drop the money to end my swaybar fiasco once and for all. Just one thing...I lost my detached weldnuts, and I have no clue which bolts in my box o' P5 s*** are the bolts, so I can't measure the thread size.

What about getting your fabricator to supply the bolts that he thinks best suits the job.

You could go bigger and stronger if they match the brackets or maybe custom brackets with bigger bolt holes.

So just for s****&giggles, I decided to try and remove one of my sway bar bracket bolts just to see whether the bolt head breaks off or the weld nut breaks free.

I thought I'd give it the best chance at being removed, so I put the torch to it and cooked the s*** out of it.

The bushing started on fire and kept on burning after I removed the torch. I had to blow on it four times to put out the fire.

Much to my surprise, I got the bolt out!!

I got my thread pitch gauge from my tap and die set and the bolt is 1.25 (I guess that means 1.25 mm per thread.)

I still think you should get your fabricator to supply the bolts though.
He'd know what to use.

And then in a few months, you can go back to him to fabricate new strut mounting tabs after you break them off.
(I remember that happening to someone on the forum.)

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the info! Just what I needed. I know that it would be advantageous to go up a bolt size theoretically, but I think that might transfer more energy to the newly weaker top bolt/weldnut assembly. It's break sooner, maybe.

And please, don't jinx that happening! Man that would suck...but would serve as a great excuse for buying some Yellowspeeds.

Back