Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 CR-V Hybrid

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

2020 CR-V Hybrid

Honda just announced the hybrid for the US: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/am...c=socialflowTW

What will Mazda do to compete with it? I don't think the diesel was the answer.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR

Since Mazda has never really been focused on high fuel mileage, I expect they will do little or nothing to counter Honda.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by pcardoza View Post
    Since Mazda has never really been focused on high fuel mileage, I expect they will do little or nothing to counter Honda.
    If they keep doing what they're doing, their demise may come sooner than later. Let's hope the Mazda/Toyota partnership changes that.

IIRC, Mazda has a sharing agreement with Toyota.

Regardless, they will do something sooner or later.

Registered Member

Mazda3

Crazy, that 1.5T was already getting great gas mileage. I wonder what the MPG will be with the hybrid now...

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

I believe they will have some form of hybrid out of the Toyota partnership. Who knows though.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 87k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature; 2014 CX-9 Touring AWD

So... they’re taking an engine that already has known oil dilution issues, and putting it in an application where it’s even less likely to ever get up to full operating temperature?

Yeah...

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

Registered Member

2019 CX5 Reserve AWD

Quote Originally Posted by leeharvey418 View Post
    So... they*re taking an engine that already has known oil dilution issues, and putting it in an application where it*s even less likely to ever get up to full operating temperature?

Yeah...
    Yeah, and even less heat in the vehicle.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

So... they*re taking an engine that already has known oil dilution issues, and putting it in an application where it*s even less likely to ever get up to full operating temperature?

Yeah...
    Larger displacement at 2.0 so it should heat up quicker. Haven't heard of isues with Accord hybrid system. This CRV Hybrid is probably tops on our list now for 2021.

Mazda's response needs to be a 2.5 Skyactiv-X with 215 HP and may not match mpg figures but MUST be cheaper MSRP. Better yet 2.0 Skyactiv-X Turbo at 220HP.

Registered Member

Mazda3

Updated CRV looks nice with some exterior/interior upgrades. Can't stand that fake wood trim around the console. I guess it might appeal to older people.

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

Quote Originally Posted by pcardoza View Post
    What? Mazda's advertising was highest mpg by a non hybrid system when 2.0 Sky G was released. Gen1 was in both 2.0 and 2.5L really fuel efficient. Gen2 is where mpgs went worse than Gen1. Now the 2019 Mazda 3 is 27 city and 35 highway which is worse than Accord / Camry which are a size larger.

Official Defender of Zamdatm

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

Yeah...
    CRV hybrid is going to have same drivetrain as Accord hybrid which does not use 1.5T. It uses a 40% thermally efficient 2 liter NA engine and it does not have a transmission in true sense. Upto 44 mph it will be a direct drive as an EV with battery or engine acting as a generator. Above 44 it will be directly coupled to the engine or running on battery (if situations allow).
    1.5T will replace the old 2.4 as standard engine available in base model form. Honda has a very sketchy past with its IMA system having a large number of failures. Think old ILX and Civic Hybrids which had 15% failure rate on batteries. But this and the new Insight are based on 2014-16 Accord Hybrid drivetrain.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    CRV hybrid is going to have same drivetrain as Accord hybrid which does not use 1.5T. It uses a 40% thermally efficient 2 liter NA engine and it does not have a transmission in true sense. Upto 44 mph it will be a direct drive as an EV with battery or engine acting as a generator. Above 44 it will be directly coupled to the engine or running on battery (if situations allow).
    1.5T will replace the old 2.4 as standard engine available in base model form. Honda has a very sketchy past with its IMA system having a large number of failures. Think old ILX and Civic Hybrids which had 15% failure rate on batteries. But this and the new Insight are based on 2014-16 Accord Hybrid drivetrain.
    The 2.0 engine in Honda's hybrid system also isn't direct injected like the 1.5T. It uses port injection so there should be little to no issue with oil dilution or carbon buildup.

I'm more curious as to how they're going to implement AWD. I think it'll probably be a mechanical connection to the back wheels but I do like Toyota's solution of electric motors driving the back wheels for the better torque off the line. Off-road performance suffers but I don't care about that at all.

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Larger displacement at 2.0 so it should heat up quicker. Haven't heard of isues with Accord hybrid system. This CRV Hybrid is probably tops on our list now for 2021.

Mazda's response needs to be a 2.5 Skyactiv-X with 215 HP and may not match mpg figures but MUST be cheaper MSRP. Better yet 2.0 Skyactiv-X Turbo at 220HP.
    Why do that. Mazda's MO these days is "but we're a legitimate luxury brand, honest!!!!111!"
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast