Will 225/60 R19 fit on stock 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring wheels

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD Grand Touring
Hi all, new to the forum. I just bought a used 2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring, love the car. I'm asking a question that's probably already been brought up, I do apologize if so. I'm just thinking ahead on my car for new tires down the road. I prefer more tire underneath me, I'm not into low profiles. I know that the stock wheel is 19" and runs 225/55. I also know that if I want to "do it right" I should get 18" rims and go 225/60 or 17" and 225/65.

However, what if I just +1'd the ratio on the stock 19"? Would 225/60 R19's fit on the stock wheels and work perfectly safely? Would they rub, or bump the wheelwell on tight curves, or bumps in the road? Would it mess up the AWD?

Has anyone been successfully running 225/60R19 on 2017+ CX-5 on stock wheels?

I appreciate your time in reading this and look forward to your feedback :)

-Brent

Going from 55 to a 60 mm tire only gains you 0.19 inches from rim to ground so not much benefit. I would stay with the std 19" or if money is no object I'd go to the 17 inch wheel and 225/65 series tire where you will gain some comfort. Ed

Actually now that I'm doing some searching, I guess that tire size doesn't even exist anyway :eek:

I guess my option really is only to downgrade wheel size

I want to get an agressive tire also, and there aint nothing aggressive in 225/55R19 unfortuntely :(

There are several people who have used a 245/65R17 or a 245/60R18 with only minor issues (slight rubbing at full steering lock, etc.). A 245/55R19 would be the same overall size as either of those, it would get you close to half an inch of sidewall height, and it would mount on your stock wheel. Im not sure what youre looking for in a tire, but it might be something to consider.

You will lose performance if you go to a larger diameter tire which may put a real damper on acceleration. Just a thought. MAZDA has done a really good job at picking the correct tire for the performance of the vehicle weight. I personally would be very cautious of making any significant changes without doing some serious homework. Ed

Hmmm - aggressive tire in what way? Wider tire? Or more aggressive tread pattern?
Staying with the original 19" wheel you might try 235-50-19
You can definitely gain a little in acceleration by reducing the weight of the tire and wheel combo. The most gain by reducing the wheel size to 17". The great benefit to the 17" wheel is there are far more and less expensive tire options in that size: 225-65-17
Wheels will be 7"-8" wide and all acceptable tire sizes will fit.
An acceptable tire size will produce a revs / mile within +/- 3% of the OEM tire size. But, you can simplify by comparing tire + wheel diameter - since a revolution is diameter * pi.
Just remember that the first number is tire tread width in mm (225mm). Second number is a ratio that defines sidewall height as percent of width (225*0.55 = 123.75mm). Total tire + wheel diameter is 2 * sidewall height + wheel size. Convert everything to inches = 28.74 in. for OEM tire + wheel combo.

Will 225/60 R19 fit on stock 2018 CX 5 Grand Touring wheels

will use my BRZ to haul my Tesla Model 3 wheels for powder coating. will they fit in my car without tires? ive successfully loaded four 17" stock BRZ wheels and tires in my BRZ, so i guess without tires four 19x8.5 should not be an issue. any comments?

<a href=https://prom-electric.ru/>.</a>

Hmmm - aggressive tire in what way? Wider tire? Or more aggressive tread pattern?
Staying with the original 19" wheel you might try 235-50-19
You can definitely gain a little in acceleration by reducing the weight of the tire and wheel combo. The most gain by reducing the wheel size to 17". The great benefit to the 17" wheel is there are far more and less expensive tire options in that size: 225-65-17
Wheels will be 7"-8" wide and all acceptable tire sizes will fit.
An acceptable tire size will produce a revs / mile within +/- 3% of the OEM tire size. But, you can simplify by comparing tire + wheel diameter - since a revolution is diameter * pi.
Just remember that the first number is tire tread width in mm (225mm). Second number is a ratio that defines sidewall height as percent of width (225*0.55 = 123.75mm). Total tire + wheel diameter is 2 * sidewall height + wheel size. Convert everything to inches = 28.74 in. for OEM tire + wheel combo.

New to the forum here!

I am looking at 245/70/16 combo for winter tires on a basic steel rims (which meets the +/- 3% referenced above, but my only concern; is there enough room for the brakes and rotor? I am picking up a 2018 GT next weekend.

Thx

Great deal? I'd go for it. The 16" wheel will clear the brakes for all models except the newest 2019 with turbo. The turbo cars apparently have bigger brake rotors.
I guess the only thing I'd look at is for the tire: What is the recommended wheel width?
A 245mm wide tire probably recommends 7" wide wheel, but 6.5" might work too.
Also narrow is actually better for snow traction. But, if you have a great deal for some winter tires these sound fine.

Great deal? I'd go for it. The 16" wheel will clear the brakes for all models except the newest 2019 with turbo. The turbo cars apparently have bigger brake rotors.
I guess the only thing I'd look at is for the tire: What is the recommended wheel width?
A 245mm wide tire probably recommends 7" wide wheel, but 6.5" might work too.
Also narrow is actually better for snow traction. But, if you have a great deal for some winter tires these sound fine.

Well, I am trying to use what I already have, I purchased the tires last year for my 1996 P38's (Range Rover), but the transmission just pooped out, and at $4K repair bill, I decided to let go.

You will lose performance if you go to a larger diameter tire which may put a real damper on acceleration. Just a thought. MAZDA has done a really good job at picking the correct tire for the performance of the vehicle weight. I personally would be very cautious of making any significant changes without doing some serious homework. Ed

They work, but the tires could stand to be wider.

Back