Question for 2019 CX-5 owners about wipers

Rain-X made mine bounce and dance. Horrible. Stopped using it and I just use Turtle Wax Shine n Seal. it works better, lasts longer, and no dancing wipers.

That's interesting. I have a Reserve and the Rain-X works fine for me. Now, I'm retired so have not been forced to drive in inclement weather, but I've been through a few rainstorms (and a number of uses of the wiper washer fluid) without problem.

I used Ice/Seal/Snine on my car as the final finish recently. I never gave thought to putting it on the windshield. I guess the upside would be that Rain-X is definitely not good for your finish. The Turtle Wax certainly does not have that issue.

I've already swapped out the Mazda rubber inserts several times and I still get the judder. Is it a mechanical flaw with the rubber that it doesn't stay even but bends when the wipers are moving or does the cold affect them? I'm f-en sick and tired of this. New wipers should not be having ANY problems.

I've already swapped out the Mazda rubber inserts several times and I still get the judder. Is it a mechanical flaw with the rubber that it doesn't stay even but bends when the wipers are moving or does the cold affect them? I'm f-en sick and tired of this. New wipers should not be having ANY problems.
This’s a common compliant on gen-2 CX-5. You can try to get a Bosch AeroTwin part # 3397014398 which comes with 24/18 pair. Bosch AeroTwin series are designed to exactly meet OEM specs, hence no special hook adapter is needed. Amazon has AeroTwin 3397014398 for $30.51 a pair with shipping.

2017 CX-5 GT wipers sucks...

9878A6DF-71BC-43D9-9B66-7080F73FDB36.jpeg

That looks identical to the envision from what I can tell? Is it just the European branding for the same wiper?

That looks identical to the envision from what I can tell? Is it just the European branding for the same wiper?
They may look similar as both of them are “beam” type wiper blade, but the hook-up part definitely is different. Bosch Envision comes with several hook-up adapters to fit different hooks of wiper arm, but AeroTwin comes with an OEM hook-up which fits specifically to OEM wiper arm. So Bosch AeroTwin part # 3397014398 will fit only Mazda’s new proprietary hook-up.

Of course the biggest difference is the price as the Envision is twice as more expensive than the AeroTwin!

Bosch AeroTwin said:
Description
Outstanding visibility in any weather. Rain or snow. Day or night. Bosch Aerotwins innovative design and technological advancements provide excellent wiper performance.
Bosch Aerotwin wiper blades feature customized spring strips made of high-tech, Evodium steel. These spring strips ensure consistent high pressure across the entire length of the blades, pushing the blades on to the windscreen to avoid any wet patches during operation that could inhibit your vision and it does it all without juddering or squeaking.
Combined with an aerodynamic design that reduces windage, and a blended dual rubber compound with graphite coating, Aerotwin wiper blades provide the most silent operation possible while providing a clean consistent wipe.
Vehicle-specific pre-mounted, OE-equivalent adapter makes installation simple and easy - no searching for the right adapter or additional assembly necessary.

They may look similar as both of them are “beam” type wiper blade, but the hook-up part definitely is different. Bosch Envision comes with several hook-up adapters to fit different hooks of wiper arm, but AeroTwin comes with an OEM hook-up which fits specifically to OEM wiper arm. So Bosch AeroTwin part # 3397014398 will fit only Mazda’s new proprietary hook-up.

Of course the biggest difference is the price as the Envision is twice as more expensive than the AeroTwin!
Yeah, I don't mind snapping on the right adapter if it fits. It does. I have the Envision, and I've tried the Trico. They both seem good to me. My problem is that I've treated my windshield with Aquapel, which works great for water beading/shedding, but seems to increase the COF between the rubber and windshield so the wipers make noise or even judder if it isn't very wet. And I like to run my wipers if there is a single drop on the windshield :)

With a little further looking, it seems that the AeroTwin are advertised as having some rubber compound difference and a graphite coating, which I don't see advertised for the Envision. Maybe I'll give them a shot. The price is certainly better.

I saw some recommendations for glass cleaners but not denatured alcohol yet. I use that as a glass cleaner as well as to clean the wiper blades. It’s not foolproof but it does help.

If you have wipers that shudder it's more than likely something on the glass if the wipers have been changed or properly cleaned. I've found the only way to cure this is to use a clay bar with clay lube to remove whatever is causing the shuddering. I normally finish it off with Stoner Invisible Glass cleaner and problem is solved.

Rain-X made mine bounce and dance. Horrible. Stopped using it and I just use Turtle Wax Shine n Seal. it works better, lasts longer, and no dancing wipers.
Same for me. I applied RainX to my then new 6's windshield and regretted it right away. Wiper blades stuttered and bounced. Hard no!

It's normally the alignment of the blade, which most people don't know about. I would not recommend bending with your hands like the guy in this video, I always used two adjustable wrenches to bend the arm, but you will get the idea from this video.

Wiper judder

Here's a better video for you with the actual correct procedure and explanation (it's longer, adjustment starts about 4 minutes.

Wiper blade adjustment video

Last edited:
It's normally the alignment of the blade, which most people don't know about. I would not recommend bending with your hands like the guy in this video, I always used an adjustable wrench, but you will get the idea from this video.

Wiper judder
That makes a lot of sense. Will try to remember and inspect for that next time.

It's normally the alignment of the blade, which most people don't know about. I would not recommend bending with your hands like the guy in this video, I always used an adjustable wrench, but you will get the idea from this video.

Wiper judder
In this case, it's Rain-X, IMO. ALWAYS had this issue. I now use the 12 month TW ceramic product. No issues, and the car looks great, and the glass sheds water pretty decent.

... I now use the 12 month TW ceramic product. No issues, and the car looks great, and the glass sheds water pretty decent.

Which Turtle Wax product? This one?

Personally I like using this on the windshield for water / bugs.
STAR BRITE Premium Marine Polish with PTEF
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
(hint find it cheaper at your local Walmart once this social distancing thing clears)

Which Turtle Wax product? This one?

Personally I like using this on the windshield for water / bugs.
STAR BRITE Premium Marine Polish with PTEF
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
(hint find it cheaper at your local Walmart once this social distancing thing clears)

I'm pretty sure Uno uses Turtle Wax Ice Seal n' Shine. It's recommended by many pro detailers on YouTube as a great option for most people. Super easy to apply compared to a typical wax product, and more durable than most other spray wax products like it.

After installing top of the line Bosch wipers, I'm still getting judder at slower speed. At full speed no judder. I'm beginning to think it's a motor/algorithm issue and nothing to do with the rubber or glass.

Back