Question for 2019 CX-5 owners about wipers

:
2019 CX-5 Signature Soul Red Crystal
I'm having consistent wiper judder even after having the dealer replace the initial set of inserts due to sun hardening. Now the rainy season has started and today's performance was awful, just consistent judder with front and back and I have no idea why given the car sits in a nice, dry garage. I'm starting to wonder if this is a design flaw.

I'm having consistent wiper judder even after having the dealer replace the initial set of inserts due to sun hardening. Now the rainy season has started and today's performance was awful, just consistent judder with front and back and I have no idea why given the car sits in a nice, dry garage. I'm starting to wonder if this is a design flaw.

If you go through any auto car washes, they spray film on car that also will leave a film on the window.

Try THOROUGHLY 2x cleaning the residue off the window with a window cleaner, or some isopropyl alcohol, or ammonia.
Then THROUGHLY 2x wipe off your wiper blades also using the same cleaner.

There is an entire thread about the wipers and what people replaced the OEM ones with, being dissatisfied with OEM. My OEM wipers are the quietest of any car that I have had. I do wash my windows with invisible glass, and my windshield is pretty slick. Try cleaning your windshield with a cleaner that leaves no residue and maybe try a synthetic wax after washing them, to get it slippery.

I get similar and have tried two brands of replacement wipers.

I've used Aquapel, which I like quite a bit for shedding water, it's probably an interaction with the altered glass surface that's the culprit for me.

Just another data point:

I've had my 2019 CX-5 since March and have not had any issues like this, either before or after applying Rain-X.

I live in central Virginia. My car is not garage-kept. It hits 100 here, but the humidity keeps everything well-lubricated ;)

Thanks for the advice about cleaning the film off using Windex! It worked. Now if I can only instruct Mazda not to run my car through their wash again...

Thanks for the advice about cleaning the film off using Windex! It worked. Now if I can only instruct Mazda not to run my car through their wash again...

If they stop running cars through their wash, their wiper blade sales are gonna plummet ;)

If they stop running cars through their wash, their wiper blade sales are gonna plummet ;)

If I never asked the question on this forum, I'd think it was a design flaw in the wipers and who knows how much money I'd end up spending! Instead just $3 for the glass cleaner!

If I never asked the question on this forum, I'd think it was a design flaw in the wipers and who knows how much money I'd end up spending! Instead just $3 for the glass cleaner!

Oh, yeah.

Lots of smart people here with lots of experience.

If you ever get your vehicle serviced at a dealer, make sure you specify NO WASH.

I've seen idiots washing out the engine bay with a hose like it's no big deal. Nothing will happen, probably, and it's not their car.
And unless it's a touch free wash, you're either getting synthetic fibers blasted (automatic bristle wash) on your car's paint or a dirty rag. Either way, the paint is getting scratched.

Also, after cleaning with widex as you did, apply rain-X on a reg basis. It will keep wipers running smooth! Been doing it for years.

If I tell the service center not to use their car wash and they get all offended, should I hold my ground?

If I tell the service center not to use their car wash and they get all offended, should I hold my ground?

Yup.

You should get more offended than they are.

They have more of an obligation to meet the customer's needs than the customer has to meet theirs.

Also, after cleaning with widex as you did, apply rain-X on a reg basis. It will keep wipers running smooth! Been doing it for years.

I've been using Rain-X for years as well. Love the stuff.
Just before a long trip, I always retreat my windshield. I can run through a rainstorm and never turn on the wipers afterwards.
It's also great up here in winters. Ice and snow slide off a lot easier.

Had the same issue(juddering) last night after taking the car through my other car-wash(Saturday) that I have used for over a decade. I'm wondering if it's the car wash or my wiper blades have a bad design. I just cleaned them again with Rain-X so I'll see if that helps.

I had a similar issue recently when I did a deep detail on the exterior. All sorts of stuff got rinsed (or over-sprayed) onto the windshield: soap, Iron-X, claybar lube, polish, wax. Then my wipers shuddered, too.

They never shuddered before. I had to use a nylon scrub pad and lots of Windex to get the crud off. Took several iterations.

Back