Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.

Thread: Exhaust Question for Cali SF Bay P5's.

Registered Member

2002 P5

Exhaust Question for Cali SF Bay P5's.

How do you guys have your manifold / downpipe set up and still pass smog?

I've read other threads and have seen a lot of combinations about which header is mated to which downpipe, but I didn't see anything that was specific to CA. I'm not looking for make MAD GAINZ, just a couple extra ponies in the bottom end. Already have the washable K&N in the filter box.

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated!

Registered Member NaturalFlavored's Avatar

Mazda P5

Well in all honesty, getting torque your going to need a 4-2-1 which they don't make anymore. You can do the 626 trick and weld that up. Also you would want to pair that up with a Cold Air Intake and the Mazda protege3 ECU. Then you will have a fun little car. But then that only gets you small gains, and having to pass California smog it's not worth it because you need a o2 sensor extension. You won't pass visual inspection. Just turbo it from the Mazdaspeed and be done with small gains.

2002 mazda protege 5

Some guys put on what's needed to pass the smog test then put their headers and such back on.
    Every year.
    The Diagram Dude

2002 Protegé5 manual

Quote Originally Posted by UND34D View Post
    How do you guys have your manifold / downpipe set up and still pass smog?

I've read other threads and have seen a lot of combinations about which header is mated to which downpipe, but I didn't see anything that was specific to CA. I'm not looking for make MAD GAINZ, just a couple extra ponies in the bottom end. Already have the washable K&N in the filter box.

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated!
    I just have the stock manifold, precat, downpipe, and cat. With an MP3 ECU and a catback, I make a decent amount of power above stock

Registered Member

protege5

Quote Originally Posted by pcb View Post
    Some guys put on what's needed to pass the smog test then put their headers and such back on.
    Every year.
    Yes they do. I know some guys in Missouri that used to do the same thing. Seems like an awful lot of hassle to me...

Donated: $40

Mazda

The answer was to find a shady smog guy, but now the answer is is Trump. From what I've read in today's paper, he is abolishing California smog laws. We'll be just like the other 48 now. Dust off those turbo kits!!

Increasing airflow and decreasing back pressure will not give you any ponies at the bottom end, though. Mayyybe 3 or 4 above 5500 rpm, but you'll be losing torque.
    NPOT (Norcal Protege Options Team)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/335883...photo-gallery/

2003 P5

Yep, ours is stock. If you want to mess with the exhaust from the cat forward, you need to find CARB compliant parts and keep the receipts and other paper work. Also Cold air intakes are no go if not CARB compliant. You'll fail smog with a "TAMPERED" status.

Unless you live in a county that does not require smog checks for renewals. You can check your zip code here:

https://smogcheck.ca.gov/pubwebquery...ZipLookup.aspx
    2003 Protege5, Auto. Approx 224k

Registered Member

2002 P5

Thanks for the responses, guys.

The MP3 ECU swap, how does that come up with your smog checks?

2002 Protegé5 manual

Quote Originally Posted by Natey View Post
    The answer was to find a shady smog guy, but now the answer is is Trump. From what I've read in today's paper, he is abolishing California smog laws. We'll be just like the other 48 now. Dust off those turbo kits!!

Increasing airflow and decreasing back pressure will not give you any ponies at the bottom end, though. Mayyybe 3 or 4 above 5500 rpm, but you'll be losing torque.
    Since the emissions standards are set by the state of California, it won*t be so simple as Trump just waving his magic Sharpie and signing a paper. I agree that CA regulations sometimes are illogical (since some mods that reduce harmful emissions are still illegal), but until there is some kind of reform, we must assume that the laws will remain the same for the foreseeable future.

2002 Protegé5 manual

Quote Originally Posted by UND34D View Post
    Thanks for the responses, guys.

The MP3 ECU swap, how does that come up with your smog checks?
    It doesn*t. Since it still uses OBDII, it won*t set off any issues. Also, since the timing utilizes the compression more effectively, the car actually will burn less fuel at a given RPM, which will lead to fewer emissions, especially for the sniffer test