Any Word on the 2020 CX-9 Changes?

More details here: New interior colors for Signature. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...inspiring-elegant-enhancements-300946849.html

Highlights: More torque (320 ft lb), available captains chairs, new off road traction button, hands free lift gate, some new interior lighting.

Honestly, I picked up my 19 GT back in August and I've been worried that some major overhaul was coming (ala new Mazda3 styling)...this is a relief and I'll happily trade these new features for the 7500 off msrp. :)

Mazda better get their refresh out the door soon. The CX-9 just lost a comparison test to the Korean twins:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a29516727/new-3-row-suvs-compared/\

From the review: "Still the undisputed driver's choice"

This is why I chose the Mazda, and would still choose it over the Korean twins (as impressive as they are). The transmission alone is worth it.
Car design and engineering is a game of tradeoffs - you simply can't have everything. Most manufacturers de-prioritize driving enjoyment over things like cargo space and infotainment because that's what most customers care about (I get it). However I'm happy there's at least one family-sized vehicle out there that I actually look forward to driving. As long as Mazda stays true to "Driving Matters", they'll retain me as a happy customer.

"Fans of this trim level now have the option between Deep Chestnut or Parchment Nappa leather seating surfaces to match the Santos Rosewood interior trim. A new, darker silver wheel finish is unique to the CX-9 Signature, helping distinguish this prestigious top-tier trim level. CX-9 Signature is now available in the brand's lustrous Soul Red Crystal premium exterior paint option."

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...inspiring-elegant-enhancements-300946849.html

Huh, I did not know that the Signature was never offered in Soul Red.

I hope somebody comes out with a full, detailed list of updates including small things like:
  • Will they finally show a TPMS display for each wheel?
  • Do away with the lock/unlock button on the door handle, and adopt the new Mazda3 style?
  • Side mirrors go down when reversing?

More details here: New interior colors for Signature. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...inspiring-elegant-enhancements-300946849.html

Highlights: More torque (320 ft lb), available captains chairs, new off road traction button, hands free lift gate, some new interior lighting.

Honestly, I picked up my 19 GT back in August and I've been worried that some major overhaul was coming (ala new Mazda3 styling)...this is a relief and I'll happily trade these new features for the 7500 off msrp. :)

Probably just a typo, but the article said 750$. 7500$ would be a huge change.

I think the new off road mode button is just Traction control off that as been renamed to be more accurate. I am basing myself on this video, where Mazda engineers explained how traction control off helped the CX-9 in a specific tricky AWD test. Kind of neat to see his comments make it into production for the 2020 model. You can watch the whole video for explanation, but the renaming of the button is clearly mentioned at 11:33. https://youtu.be/5wWY7JhNZ8U

Definitely some nice updates.

So from what it sounds like there's no exterior refresh? It doesn't need one but I'm surprised that there isn't the usual grill freshening and such. Especially since the rest of the Mazda line has gone to a mesh grill leaving the CX-9 alone with a slat design.

~7500 off for a 2019 (with current discounts / incentives - more like 7k I guess w loyalty). Those likely won't be available right away on a 2020.

~7500 off for a 2019 (with current discounts / incentives - more like 7k I guess w loyalty). Those likely won't be available right away on a 2020.

We purchased our 2019 Signature for $41448. At an MSRP of $46710, this equates to a discount of $5262 which includes a $1250 rebate ($750 loyalty + $500 APR). If I didn't take the Mazda 0.9% APR incentive, we would be eligible for an additional $1500 rebate which would make it $6762. So, yes, around $7K discount on a new 2019.

In GA, the cash back incentive has now increased to $2500 (from $2000) and no more additional rebate for APR incentive.

Huh, I did not know that the Signature was never offered in Soul Red.

I hope somebody comes out with a full, detailed list of updates including small things like:
  • Will they finally show a TPMS display for each wheel?
  • Do away with the lock/unlock button on the door handle, and adopt the new Mazda3 style?
  • Side mirrors go down when reversing?

Let's just compile a list ourselves. The sooner we start, the easier it will be to maintain.

2020 changes:

2-year prepaid maintenance package
+10 ft-lb of torque (when fueling with 93)
Off-road traction assist button
Captain's chairs (optional on Touring and GT, standard on Signature) (heated captain's chairs available for GT and standard on Signature)
Powered 2nd row bench seat (fore, aft, tilt)
GVC+ standard on all trim levels
iActivsense now standard on all trims
9" touchscreen display
Hands free powered liftgate
Advanced Keyless Entry and Start
3rd row USB ports
New interior colour choices, darker silver wheel colour, and Soul Red Crystal exterior colour option for Signature trim

Available features according to trim/package:

Note: Bolded info is new for 2020, from my understanding.

Sport trim gets heated front seats and power driver's seat with lumbar support, rain-sensing wipers, heated side mirrors, auto headlights and auto High Beam control. Other standard features include a seven-inch Mazda Connect * infotainment screen, LED headlights and taillights, one-touch front and rear power windows, rear privacy glass, three-zone automatic climate control, Bluetooth hands-free phone and audio pairing, rearview camera, keyless entry and push-button start.

Touring trim and higher get AA/ACP, 9" touchscreen display, leather-trimmed seats, power adjustable passenger seat, powered 2nd row (fore, aft, and tilt), power liftgate, 2nd row center armrest with storage, cup holders and USB ports. Touring also gets Advanced Keyless Entry and Start, which I believe is the system on the new 3 (touch pad on the back of the handle instead of the button). The Premium package on the Touring trim adds 2 USB ports in the 3rd row, a power moonroof, Bose audio, SiriusXM (3 mo. free), LED fogs, front and rear parking sensors and 2nd row retractable sunshades.

GT gets hands free powered liftgate, 2 USB ports in the 3rd row, 20" "brilliant silver" wheels, 360 cam, front and rear parking sensors, ADD (HUD) with TSR, ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel, auto-folding door mirrors, power moonroof, LED lighting in the door pockets, LED lighting in the front door handle and switch, AFS headlights, chrome exterior trim pieces, "satin chrome" roof rails, windshield wiper heater elements, and overhead front center console illumination. The GT also gets heated captain's chairs if you opt for them.

New interior colour choices for the nappa leather in the Signature trim are "Deep Chestnut" and "Parchment". Signature models also get a new, darker silver wheel finish, a hand-stitched steering wheel, LED accent lighting in the front grille, and ambient LED lighting around the shifter panel. The Soul Red Crystal colour is now available as an option.

MSRP for the 2020 CX-9 (in $USD):

attachment.php

Source: MNAO

Attachments

• MSRP.JPG
    MSRP.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,099
Since we bought the 2019 Signature, it would be a deal breaker to only have the 2nd row Captain's chairs. I'm not really sure how the Dark Chestnut looks but we really like the Auburn interior and is one of the big reasons why we chose the Signature over a GT AWD. The rest of the changes are nice to have, but I think the 2019 is a better choice, at this time, given the discounts available.

Let's just compile a list ourselves. The sooner we start, the easier it will be to maintain.

2020 changes:

2-year prepaid maintenance package
+10 ft-lb of torque (when fueling with 93)
Off-road traction assist button
Captain's chairs (optional on Touring and GT, standard on Signature) (heated captain's chairs available for GT and standard on Signature)
Powered 2nd row bench seat (fore, aft, tilt)
GVC+ standard on all trim levels
iActivsense now standard on all trims
9" touchscreen display
Hands free powered liftgate
Advanced Keyless Entry and Start
3rd row USB ports
New interior colour choices, darker silver wheel colour, and Soul Red Crystal exterior colour option for Signature trim

Available features according to trim/package:

Note: Bolded info is new for 2020, from my understanding.

Sport trim gets heated front seats and power driver's seat with lumbar support, rain-sensing wipers, heated side mirrors, auto headlights and auto High Beam control. Other standard features include a seven-inch Mazda Connect * infotainment screen, LED headlights and taillights, one-touch front and rear power windows, rear privacy glass, three-zone automatic climate control, Bluetooth hands-free phone and audio pairing, rearview camera, keyless entry and push-button start.

Touring trim and higher get AA/ACP, 9" touchscreen display, leather-trimmed seats, power adjustable passenger seat, powered 2nd row (fore, aft, and tilt), power liftgate, 2nd row center armrest with storage, cup holders and USB ports. Touring also gets Advanced Keyless Entry and Start, which I believe is the system on the new 3 (touch pad on the back of the handle instead of the button). The Premium package on the Touring trim adds 2 USB ports in the 3rd row, a power moonroof, Bose audio, SiriusXM (3 mo. free), LED fogs, front and rear parking sensors and 2nd row retractable sunshades.

GT gets hands free powered liftgate, 2 USB ports in the 3rd row, 20" "brilliant silver" wheels, 360 cam, front and rear parking sensors, ADD (HUD) with TSR, ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel, auto-folding door mirrors, power moonroof, LED lighting in the door pockets, LED lighting in the front door handle and switch, AFS headlights, chrome exterior trim pieces, "satin chrome" roof rails, windshield wiper heater elements, and overhead front center console illumination. The GT also gets heated captain's chairs if you opt for them.

New interior colour choices for the nappa leather in the Signature trim are "Deep Chestnut" and "Parchment". Signature models also get a new, darker silver wheel finish, a hand-stitched steering wheel, LED accent lighting in the front grille, and ambient LED lighting around the shifter panel. The Soul Red Crystal colour is now available as an option.

MSRP for the 2020 CX-9 (in $USD):

attachment.php

Source: MNAO

Awesome update, sm1ke! Thanks for doing this.

Nice, that article sheds light on many of my questions.

Still love my 2019, but the 2020 has so many additions and improvements that I wanted, namely power 2nd row, hands free lift gate, and the updated keyless entry. I don't care for the larger infotainment screen as much because I use AA all the time, but if the boot up time is significantly improved and faster, it's a very welcomed improvement.

Curious how the cup holders will fit on the backside of the front center console on the cars with captain chairs.

Disappointed about the silver finish wheels on the GT though, I like the dark ones on the 2019s.

Ahh! I didn't catch the 9 Inch display. Bummer for the 19 owners. I wonder if this means the whole dash will be different and similar to the new 3.

The 2020 definitely has some very nice updates and additions. Still happy with my 2018, but if I had leased it, I'd definitely be more interested in turning it in for a 2020. In that way I'm kind of glad I financed my 2018, haha. If they had done some sort of minor exterior refresh, that might be a different story..

2-year prepaid maintenance package - about $400 value?
+10 ft-lb of torque (when fueling with 93) - nice
Off-road traction assist button - doesn't matter
Captain's chairs (optional on Touring and GT, standard on Signature) (heated captain's chairs available for GT and standard on Signature) - bench chair option for signature? not a fan of captain chairs.
Powered 2nd row bench seat (fore, aft, tilt) - I'm fine with manual seat. Powered seat usually slow.
GVC+ standard on all trim levels - welcome
iActivsense now standard on all trims - welcome
9" touchscreen display - nice I like bigger screen. hope they upgraded the processors and the 360 cameras.
Hands free powered liftgate - welcomed addition
Advanced Keyless Entry and Start - welcome
3rd row USB ports - nice to have, would prefer 3rd row vents though.
New interior colour choices, darker silver wheel colour, and Soul Red Crystal exterior colour option for Signature trim - nice

Overall the updates are good but I would take the 2019 for discount if the infotainment speed and 360 cameras are the same.
If there's no option for bench seat in Signature that's deal breaker for me.

Now I wonder if the new 9" screen is like the wide one in Mazda 3 currently? I saw a review that wide screen has issue with Android Auto. Android Auto still shows 4:3 in the wide screen. I hope that's not the case. It's a deal breaker.

Last edited:
If there's no option for bench seat in Signature that's deal breaker for me.

No idea if it's an option. All it says is that it is standard. I have a feeling that it won't be optional because if the option were available, they would have to stock two versions of the bench seat (one in Deep Chestnut nappa leather and one in Parchment nappa leather), or reupholster the GT bench seat with the desired nappa leather on a case by case basis. This would drive the manufacturer cost up. The way they're doing it now, with captain's chairs standard on the Signature, means that they only have to build one seating config for the Signature. There's probably less material cost to upholster two captain's chairs vs a bench seat as well.

Regardless of that, I prefer a bench seat, so it's likely that I would opt for a 2020 GT instead of a 2020 Signature.

Sounds like a solid update. A lot of those things will appeal to the crowd that mainly buys these things.

Back