Any Word on the 2020 CX-9 Changes?

Here's a video of a 2020 Grand Touring on a dealer lot. Looks like the GT doesn't have that center console between the captain's chairs and is just open. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkB-K1hZtyc

I also noticed that the front center console top is now matched to the leather color. On my 2019 GT with Sand interior, the front center console top is black.

And the new key looks awful. It seems to be about twice as large with no additional features, unless I'm missing something.

Yep I saw a 2020 today and sat in the new rear "captains chairs" with no center console in a Touring trim and I was not a fan. It felt and looked a little naked. As this video shows they are on slender side to side and this guy is not a big guy either. It looked a little unfinished kind of like Mazda said " well we need to do something and others offer this option so lets do that. Other than that option and the bigger screen nothing new. They didn't even update the grill. I'm good with my 2018 for awhile.

Last edited:
A few walk around videos just dropped on YouTube. I gotta say, I'm disappointed on a few things. Mazda kept the old keyless entry with the buttons on the door handles, and the infotainment software is the same as the 2019s. I expected both of them to be updated similar to the 2019 Mazda3s.

2020 Mazda CX-9 Review: 5 Things We Learned on a Vegas Road Trip, We took Mazdas biggest crossover to Sin City for a family holiday

Nick Yekikian Words Dec 12, 2019

If you had to drive your family and all of their gear to Las Vegas for a holiday weekend, what three-row SUV would you take? Along the way to Sin City this Thanksgiving, we saw Hyundai Palisades, Lexus LX 500s, and BMW X7sall great choices. But I was more than happy in the 2020 Mazda CX-9 Signature, now with captain's chairs for the middle row.

Late last year MotorTrend senior photographer William Walker said goodbye to our long-term CX-9 Touring. His verdict? A stylish, comfortable, fun-to-drive hauler. Considering the CX-9 is mostly unchanged for 2020, we didn't expect to be surprised by the 2017 SUV of the Year finalist. But 11-plus hours on the road with family always throws you a curveball or two. Here's what we learned over the course of five days and more than 700 miles.

Insert Nautical Joke Here

The biggest change to the CX-9 for 2020 is the addition of the aforementioned captain's chairs, and they made a massive difference in the way my family was able to experience the long ride. Because there's just four of us, the lack of a middle seat in the second row wasn't a problem at all, and the heated rear chairs with their fore and aft adjustment were hugely appreciated. In fact, at one point the Mazda's cabin got surprisingly quiet, and when I looked around at my passengers, everyone was snuggled up and catching some shut-eye while I dutifully piloted us through the night.

Comfort Like We've Never Known

We're big fans of Las Vegas and have made the drive to Sin City more than a few times. The list of cars we've taken includes a Jaguar XJ8, an Acura MDX, and a Golf GTI. The reason I'm telling you this is because the CX-9 was easily the most comfortable, most cosseting cruiser we've had for the long, straight haul up I-15. The suspension soaked up any lumps or potholes in the neglected pavement, and the interior was quiet and removed from the outside world, just like you'd want it to be on a long journey. We're officially spoiled.

All Of The Weather, None Of The Worries

A pretty nasty storm swept over California during Thanksgiving week, dumping rain and snow on the roads between L.A. and Vegas. The drive to Sin City started out dry, but three hours in Mother Nature was lashing down with rain so thick we could hardly see the car in front of us, but the Mazda's AWD did a great job of cutting across the rain-soaked highway. On the way home, Apple Maps alerted us that traffic along I-15 was so heavy that we'd be stuck in an extra three hours of traffic. Dreading the delay, we decided to cut across the middle of that part of the state toward Lancaster and take Angeles Crest Highway back home instead. And then the weather threw us another curveball. Snow along the mountains from the day before meant the roads were wet in most places and icy in others, but the weather was of no moment to the CX-9. Even fully loaded with four passengers on slick roads, the big SUV proved to be nimble and even fun on the damp, twisty road.

Size Still Matters

The CX-9 is a seven-seateror six, as in our configurationbut it's on the smaller side for that type of SUV. With the rear seats folded down there was just barely enough room for two suitcases (one large, one medium) and a couple of backpacks. The suitcases took up almost all of the floor space in the cargo area, so we had to stack our auxiliary bags atop them. I was surprised to notice that, from the driver's seat, nearly half my view out of the back was blocked. This always bothers me, so after a little rejiggering we got it to only 25 percent obstructed. Better but not great. The CX-9 could afford to be a little longer.

Six Speeds In 2019?

The CX-9's transmission is a great automatic, and I, for one, am extremely thankful there is no CVT here. That said, the auto only has six forward gears, and the car world has simply moved on from gearboxes with six speeds. Although the transmission tuning is excellent, sixth gear is very clearly there for fuel economy. At 80 mph the four-cylinder is only turning about 2,500 rpm. That's good for mpgs but not good when you need to overtake an 18-wheeler via a gap that's getting ever smaller. Mashing the gas delivered a noticeable delay and made overtaking a guessing gamesomething it shouldn't be. Eight forward gears seems to be the standard these days, and I think the Mazda could benefit from those extra two cogs.

LOL. I think the CX-9 is already long enough.

Agree. I was merely quoting the article. My kids did mention that the cargo space behind the 3rd row (with 3rd row seats up) seems shorter (less) than the previous gen.

Agree. I was merely quoting the article. My kids did mention that the cargo space behind the 3rd row (with 3rd row seats up) seems shorter (less) than the previous gen.

No, I understand that was from the article and not you personally. I agree that the rear cargo could be better. By not changing the overall length, not sure how they'd do this other than pushing the cabin up farther into the hood area. Also the rear rake of the rear hatch could be less steep. But with a shorter hood that would take away how good it looks and start moving into how a minivan looks.

I believe the Koda design is responsible for the CX9's pretty looks but it also carries a penalty in length. The car is longer than several 3-row SUVs. I was surprised it was 2 inches longer than the Acura MDX, it is longer than the 2020 Ford explorer which already looks like a bigger truck, also longer than the Palisade and Honda Pilot. If you trimmed the nose and straightened the back, it would be considerably shorter.....but would look uglier. In my case, I'll take its pretty looks and car like drive over additional interior space, though I must admit, it feels slightly snug, nearly sports car like, in the driver's foot well for me.

No, I understand that was from the article and not you personally. I agree that the rear cargo could be better. By not changing the overall length, not sure how they'd do this other than pushing the cabin up farther into the hood area. Also the rear rake of the rear hatch could be less steep. But with a shorter hood that would take away how good it looks and start moving into how a minivan looks.

The Kia Telluride has shorter and has more cargo and leg room than the CX-9

Although the transmission tuning is excellent, sixth gear is very clearly there for fuel economy. ... At 80 mph the four-cylinder is only turning about 2,500 rpm ... Mashing the gas delivered a noticeable delay... Eight forward gears seems to be the standard these days, and I think the Mazda could benefit from those extra two cogs.

This is such a silly quote it's hard to believe it's coming from an auto journalist.
1. Even with 8 forward gears, you'd be cruising at 80mph in the top gear. You'd need to downshift no matter what.
2. The CX-9 has a kickdown function. Press the pedal all the way to the floor for instant gear changes.
3. Speaking from personal experience, Mazda's auto is one of the best in the segment. Gear changes are super quick, and it never, ever, gear hunts.

This is such a silly quote it's hard to believe it's coming from an auto journalist.
1. Even with 8 forward gears, you'd be cruising at 80mph in the top gear. You'd need to downshift no matter what.
2. The CX-9 has a kickdown function. Press the pedal all the way to the floor for instant gear changes.
3. Speaking from personal experience, Mazda's auto is one of the best in the segment. Gear changes are super quick, and it never, ever, gear hunts.

Agree the shifts to me seem quick, and in the real world, with all the torque so low in the band it's a capable transmission. At 40 mph when poking in and out of traffic, I find no need to mash pedal to get enough speed and change lanes into a gap in traffic.

This journalist...I understand we all have certain desires in vehicle ability, but who needs to mash pedal at 80mh? If you're finding the need to pass someone doing 80mph...maybe don't.

Last edited:
I don't like how they are forcing captain chairs to the Signature. It's such a deal breaker.

I would have been kicking myself for getting a 2019, if for 2020 they had gone in opposite direction and widened/flattened the middle of bench!

Sounds crazy I know. But I wasn't able to adequately secure my baby car seat in the 2019 middle position of the second row bench. Too narrow a seat and to much of a hard hump.

Flatter and wider of a bench is obviously not what most would want, so I can understand the change. But as an option and not forced would have been better.

Most wouldn't believe it, but the Telluride is only 1.3 inches taller than the CX-9. The CX-9's ground clearance is also .8" higher.

Anyone happen to know if the new 2020 9" screen can be fitted to prior year models? I contacted my dealer and they have no clue as the car is still too new. Thx

I had a heck of a time finding a 2020 GT with the bench seats, especially in Silver. Needed the bench seats for the kids. Everything locally available was coming in with 2nd row captain's chairs and/or Machine Gray. After about a month of looking, my dealer finally got a hold of one.

I would have been kicking myself for getting a 2019, if for 2020 they had gone in opposite direction and widened/flattened the middle of bench!

Sounds crazy I know. But I wasn't able to adequately secure my baby car seat in the 2019 middle position of the second row bench. Too narrow a seat and to much of a hard hump.

Flatter and wider of a bench is obviously not what most would want, so I can understand the change. But as an option and not forced would have been better.

I had a heck of a time finding a 2020 GT with the bench seats, especially in Silver. Needed the bench seats for the kids. Everything locally available was coming in with 2nd row captain's chairs and/or Machine Gray. After about a month of looking, my dealer finally got a hold of one.

join the club. They told me it was more difficult for me to find the color combo I went demanded in red metallic/ tan interior. Took 12 dealerships to find one and without captains chairs. I like the cap chairs, but it takes away a physical person option of seating and a down flaw for me, esp if traveling to other states with adults in the rear.

Is there any information about how/where the extra 10 ft/lb tq came from? Wondering if that is just marketing or if there were some other underlying changes that would be noteworthy.

Quick heads up...Started a sticky thread for posting CX-9 pricing and deals...

Back