Any Word on the 2020 CX-9 Changes?

I just looked at the floor plan for the Auto Show here in Phoenix next week and Mazda is not represented at all? Odd.

Not odd for manufacturers to skip auto shows, there's a lot of them after all. I've been going to the Chicago Auto Show every year and this year BMW was not present.

I think I may like the 2019 Auburn color better than 2020 Chestnut. Need to check it out in person.
https://www.autoblog.com/photos/2020-mazda-cx-9-la-2019/#slide-2188927

The Chestnut looks nice but doesn't quite stand out like the Auburn. I like the contrast stitching though.

2020-mazda-cx-9-la-11.jpg

2020-mazda-cx-9-la-12.jpg

Notice the newly designed font/badge as introduced on the new Mazda 3.

2020-mazda-cx-9-la-10.jpg

Not odd for manufacturers to skip auto shows, there's a lot of them after all. I've been going to the Chicago Auto Show every year and this year BMW was not present.

I think it must be a mis-print. Mazda is all over the LA show last week with the new CX-30 and Phoenix is right next door. Everyone else is there.

Same here. The 2019 Auburn interior also covers the dash and part of the door cards. It really stands out. This, and the unavailability of 2nd row bench seating on the Signature make the 2019 more preferable to me.

I'm in agreement as well.

The new emblems look really sharp. Nice to see that it actually says "Signature" and not just "Sg". But the fitment of the Signature emblem in the picture above looks poor compared to the rest of it.

Man, the chesnut color does not look good in pictures. The amber color had a much more premium feel.

I think they screwed up the captains chairs by putting a center console in between them. The idea of captains chairs is to have a passage way to the rear seats. All they did was make a 7-passenger into a 6-passenger. Every other brand with captains chairs is a 7-passenger.

Mazda missed the boat on this one.

I think they screwed up the captains chairs by putting a center console in between them. The idea of captains chairs is to have a passage way to the rear seats. All they did was make a 7-passenger into a 6-passenger. Every other brand with captains chairs is a 7-passenger.

Mazda missed the boat on this one.

I assume they did a survey and found that the vast majority of buyers do not have 7 people in their cars. With that said, we often have 5 for short trips and I just shove three in the middle row and never flip up the 3rd row.

I assume they did a survey and found that the vast majority of buyers do not have 7 people in their cars. With that said, we often have 5 for short trips and I just shove three in the middle row and never flip up the 3rd row.

Still doesnt make sense.

The center console isnt removable either.

Still doesn*t make sense.

The center console isn*t removable either.

Have you confirmed how passengers will access the 3rd row in the Signature model? The Signature is the only model with the additional center console, and when I asked a dealership about 3rd row access in the Signature, they had no idea.

Initially I thought that the console would slide or flip forward, but that doesn't make much sense, so the seats must slide forward (meaning they operate just like the bench seat). The whole point of captain's chairs is ease of ingress/egress, so without that pass-through space, they basically just turned the Signature into a 6-passenger vehicle with a fancy center console for 2nd row passengers. WTF are you thinking, Mazda..

Man, the chesnut color does not look good in pictures. The amber color had a much more premium feel.

I think the chestnut colour would look good (albeit monotone) in a Titanium Flash Mica CX-9. The auburn/amber/"chroma brown" colour looks nicer IMO.

Possible Signature Seat for 2nd Row

I found this link that shows the powered seats on the signature version of the CX-8 - This is probably how the CX9 will operate. The seat moves a little slow for my liking - But I am still leaning towards the signature.
https://youtu.be/DNOH0ZPeHZM?t=287

I found this link that shows the powered seats on the signature version of the CX-8 - This is probably how the CX9 will operate. The seat moves a little slow for my liking - But I am still leaning towards the signature.
https://youtu.be/DNOH0ZPeHZM?t=287

Ooof.. that's way too slow. You have to wait for it to slide/fold forward, then 3rd row passengers get in, then you wait for it to slide/fold back, then 2nd row passenger gets in. This one "feature" would be a dealbreaker for me.

Here's a video of a 2020 Grand Touring on a dealer lot. Looks like the GT doesn't have that center console between the captain's chairs and is just open. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkB-K1hZtyc

I also noticed that the front center console top is now matched to the leather color. On my 2019 GT with Sand interior, the front center console top is black.

And the new key looks awful. It seems to be about twice as large with no additional features, unless I'm missing something.

Last edited:
Here's a video of a 2020 Grand Touring on a dealer lot. Looks like the GT doesn't have that center console between the captain's chairs and is just open. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkB-K1hZtyc

I also noticed that the front center console top is now matched to the leather color. On my 2019 GT with Sand interior, the front center console top is black.

And the new key looks awful. It seems to be about twice as large with no additional features, unless I'm missing something.

Yep, the extra center console is unique to the Signature trim.

I brought our CX-9 AW GT into the dealer today for an oil change and rotation ( 17k miles and still happy) and they had a few 2020's in so I took a look. They had a Touring with the new captains chairs in the rear. Personally not a fan. I sat in it and it has the small retractable arm rests on both chairs but the width of the seats seemed a little tight to me and I am not a big person ( 5'8 170 lbs). It also looked kind of naked with nothing in the middle. Maybe on the Signature trim with the console it will make more sense but over all it looked like they just kind of threw them together and put them back there instead of the bench. We rarely have people in the back and never the 3rd row so to me the bench is more practical and looks better. Just one man's opinion.

I'm not sure I like the new logo's that much either. Probably just not used to them. Other than that the CX-9 is mostly unchanged. Yes the screen is now a bigger and thats the trend but I'm fine with the size of the current version. Seems everyone is trying to out gun the competition with bigger screens. I also looked at the new Explorer with its massive vertical screen and it's overkill. Dominates the whole interior. What's next a 20" screen? Anyway not enough changes for me to look at a 2020.

I still think the CX-9 is a winner and we really like ours but the competition in this segment has changed a lot in the last few years and I think Mazda is going to have to up their game a bit whenever the next model comes out. The Explorer is pretty nice with rear drive now and that stock turbo 4 is no joke but it's over-priced in the top trims. The all new Highlander is coming ( don't like the looks personally but its a Toyota and they will sell a ton of them) and the KIA and Palisade are both really great. Even though I wouldn't... people are buying that new Suburu Ascent and the Honda Passport and Pilot are still solid options. That Honda V-tech V6 engine is wonderful. I have it in my Ridgeline and there are times I wish it were in the CX-9. Great motor. I never thought I would look twice at a KIA but if I were starting over again I might choose that over the Mazda. But still none of them have the looks of the CX-9. Still the best looking mid-size in the segment.

Back