Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Word on the 2020 CX-9 Changes?

Contributor

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by azuzu View Post
    Huh, I did not know that the Signature was never offered in Soul Red.

I hope somebody comes out with a full, detailed list of updates including small things like:
    • Will they finally show a TPMS display for each wheel?
    • Do away with the lock/unlock button on the door handle, and adopt the new Mazda3 style?
    • Side mirrors go down when reversing?
    Let's just compile a list ourselves. The sooner we start, the easier it will be to maintain.

2020 changes:

2-year prepaid maintenance package
    +10 ft-lb of torque (when fueling with 93)
    Off-road traction assist button
    Captain's chairs (optional on Touring and GT, standard on Signature) (heated captain's chairs available for GT and standard on Signature)
    Powered 2nd row bench seat (fore, aft, tilt)
    GVC+ standard on all trim levels
    iActivsense now standard on all trims
    9" touchscreen display
    Hands free powered liftgate
    Advanced Keyless Entry and Start
    3rd row USB ports
    New interior colour choices, darker silver wheel colour, and Soul Red Crystal exterior colour option for Signature trim

Available features according to trim/package:

Note: Bolded info is new for 2020, from my understanding.

Sport trim gets heated front seats and power driver's seat with lumbar support, rain-sensing wipers, heated side mirrors, auto headlights and auto High Beam control. Other standard features include a seven-inch Mazda Connect * infotainment screen, LED headlights and taillights, one-touch front and rear power windows, rear privacy glass, three-zone automatic climate control, Bluetooth hands-free phone and audio pairing, rearview camera, keyless entry and push-button start.

Touring trim and higher get AA/ACP, 9" touchscreen display, leather-trimmed seats, power adjustable passenger seat, powered 2nd row (fore, aft, and tilt), power liftgate, 2nd row center armrest with storage, cup holders and USB ports. Touring also gets Advanced Keyless Entry and Start, which I believe is the system on the new 3 (touch pad on the back of the handle instead of the button). The Premium package on the Touring trim adds 2 USB ports in the 3rd row, a power moonroof, Bose audio, SiriusXM (3 mo. free), LED fogs, front and rear parking sensors and 2nd row retractable sunshades.

GT gets hands free powered liftgate, 2 USB ports in the 3rd row, 20" "brilliant silver" wheels, 360 cam, front and rear parking sensors, ADD (HUD) with TSR, ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel, auto-folding door mirrors, power moonroof, LED lighting in the door pockets, LED lighting in the front door handle and switch, AFS headlights, chrome exterior trim pieces, "satin chrome" roof rails, windshield wiper heater elements, and overhead front center console illumination. The GT also gets heated captain's chairs if you opt for them.

New interior colour choices for the nappa leather in the Signature trim are "Deep Chestnut" and "Parchment". Signature models also get a new, darker silver wheel finish, a hand-stitched steering wheel, LED accent lighting in the front grille, and ambient LED lighting around the shifter panel. The Soul Red Crystal colour is now available as an option.

MSRP for the 2020 CX-9 (in $USD):

Source: MNAO
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-9 Signature, Machine Grey Metallic

Since we bought the 2019 Signature, it would be a deal breaker to only have the 2nd row Captain's chairs. I'm not really sure how the Dark Chestnut looks but we really like the Auburn interior and is one of the big reasons why we chose the Signature over a GT AWD. The rest of the changes are nice to have, but I think the 2019 is a better choice, at this time, given the discounts available.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    Let's just compile a list ourselves. The sooner we start, the easier it will be to maintain.

2020 changes:

2-year prepaid maintenance package
    +10 ft-lb of torque (when fueling with 93)
    Off-road traction assist button
    Captain's chairs (optional on Touring and GT, standard on Signature) (heated captain's chairs available for GT and standard on Signature)
    Powered 2nd row bench seat (fore, aft, tilt)
    GVC+ standard on all trim levels
    iActivsense now standard on all trims
    9" touchscreen display
    Hands free powered liftgate
    Advanced Keyless Entry and Start
    3rd row USB ports
    New interior colour choices, darker silver wheel colour, and Soul Red Crystal exterior colour option for Signature trim

Available features according to trim/package:

Note: Bolded info is new for 2020, from my understanding.

Sport trim gets heated front seats and power driver's seat with lumbar support, rain-sensing wipers, heated side mirrors, auto headlights and auto High Beam control. Other standard features include a seven-inch Mazda Connect * infotainment screen, LED headlights and taillights, one-touch front and rear power windows, rear privacy glass, three-zone automatic climate control, Bluetooth hands-free phone and audio pairing, rearview camera, keyless entry and push-button start.

Touring trim and higher get AA/ACP, 9" touchscreen display, leather-trimmed seats, power adjustable passenger seat, powered 2nd row (fore, aft, and tilt), power liftgate, 2nd row center armrest with storage, cup holders and USB ports. Touring also gets Advanced Keyless Entry and Start, which I believe is the system on the new 3 (touch pad on the back of the handle instead of the button). The Premium package on the Touring trim adds 2 USB ports in the 3rd row, a power moonroof, Bose audio, SiriusXM (3 mo. free), LED fogs, front and rear parking sensors and 2nd row retractable sunshades.

GT gets hands free powered liftgate, 2 USB ports in the 3rd row, 20" "brilliant silver" wheels, 360 cam, front and rear parking sensors, ADD (HUD) with TSR, ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel, auto-folding door mirrors, power moonroof, LED lighting in the door pockets, LED lighting in the front door handle and switch, AFS headlights, chrome exterior trim pieces, "satin chrome" roof rails, windshield wiper heater elements, and overhead front center console illumination. The GT also gets heated captain's chairs if you opt for them.

New interior colour choices for the nappa leather in the Signature trim are "Deep Chestnut" and "Parchment". Signature models also get a new, darker silver wheel finish, a hand-stitched steering wheel, LED accent lighting in the front grille, and ambient LED lighting around the shifter panel. The Soul Red Crystal colour is now available as an option.

MSRP for the 2020 CX-9 (in $USD):

Source: MNAO
    Awesome update, sm1ke! Thanks for doing this.

Registered Member

2019 CX-9 GT AWD in Soul Red

Nice, that article sheds light on many of my questions.

Still love my 2019, but the 2020 has so many additions and improvements that I wanted, namely power 2nd row, hands free lift gate, and the updated keyless entry. I don't care for the larger infotainment screen as much because I use AA all the time, but if the boot up time is significantly improved and faster, it's a very welcomed improvement.

Curious how the cup holders will fit on the backside of the front center console on the cars with captain chairs.

Disappointed about the silver finish wheels on the GT though, I like the dark ones on the 2019s.

Registered Member

Ahh! I didn't catch the 9 Inch display. Bummer for the 19 owners. I wonder if this means the whole dash will be different and similar to the new 3.

Contributor

The 2020 definitely has some very nice updates and additions. Still happy with my 2018, but if I had leased it, I'd definitely be more interested in turning it in for a 2020. In that way I'm kind of glad I financed my 2018, haha. If they had done some sort of minor exterior refresh, that might be a different story..
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2019 CX-9 Signature

2-year prepaid maintenance package - about $400 value?
    +10 ft-lb of torque (when fueling with 93) - nice
    Off-road traction assist button - doesn't matter
    Captain's chairs (optional on Touring and GT, standard on Signature) (heated captain's chairs available for GT and standard on Signature) - bench chair option for signature? not a fan of captain chairs.
    Powered 2nd row bench seat (fore, aft, tilt) - I'm fine with manual seat. Powered seat usually slow.
    GVC+ standard on all trim levels - welcome
    iActivsense now standard on all trims - welcome
    9" touchscreen display - nice I like bigger screen. hope they upgraded the processors and the 360 cameras.
    Hands free powered liftgate - welcomed addition
    Advanced Keyless Entry and Start - welcome
    3rd row USB ports - nice to have, would prefer 3rd row vents though.
    New interior colour choices, darker silver wheel colour, and Soul Red Crystal exterior colour option for Signature trim - nice

Overall the updates are good but I would take the 2019 for discount if the infotainment speed and 360 cameras are the same.
    If there's no option for bench seat in Signature that's deal breaker for me.

Now I wonder if the new 9" screen is like the wide one in Mazda 3 currently? I saw a review that wide screen has issue with Android Auto. Android Auto still shows 4:3 in the wide screen. I hope that's not the case. It's a deal breaker.
    Last edited by hollandog; 10-30-2019 at 12:27 PM.

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by hollandog View Post
    If there's no option for bench seat in Signature that's deal breaker for me.
    No idea if it's an option. All it says is that it is standard. I have a feeling that it won't be optional because if the option were available, they would have to stock two versions of the bench seat (one in Deep Chestnut nappa leather and one in Parchment nappa leather), or reupholster the GT bench seat with the desired nappa leather on a case by case basis. This would drive the manufacturer cost up. The way they're doing it now, with captain's chairs standard on the Signature, means that they only have to build one seating config for the Signature. There's probably less material cost to upholster two captain's chairs vs a bench seat as well.

Regardless of that, I prefer a bench seat, so it's likely that I would opt for a 2020 GT instead of a 2020 Signature.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Now to wonder if we can retrofit that 10 extra foot pounds and the auto lift gate.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Sounds like a solid update. A lot of those things will appeal to the crowd that mainly buys these things.
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

Montana/Arizona

2018.5 CX-9 AWD GT

Only thing I really would want that we don't have is vented front seats living in Arizona. I'm fine with the 8 inch screen on the 2018. Would not want captains chairs and rarely have anyone in the back seat anyway. Third row has never been up other than initial curiosity. I bought it for the looks and the driving experience and that hasn't changed. That said newer is almost always better.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Montanaman View Post
    Only thing I really would want that we don't have is vented front seats living in Arizona. I'm fine with the 8 inch screen on the 2018. Would not want captains chairs and rarely have anyone in the back seat anyway. Third row has never been up other than initial curiosity. I bought it for the looks and the driving experience and that hasn't changed. That said newer is almost always better.
    Agree. We ended up buying a 2018 instead of a 2019 and I kinda regret it. The vented seats and surround camera (even poor quality) would have been worth it.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    Agree. We ended up buying a 2018 instead of a 2019 and I kinda regret it. The vented seats and surround camera (even poor quality) would have been worth it.
    Aside from having Carplay right off the bat in the 2019, we've used the ventilated seats quite often prior to the weather turning cooler. The surround camera is used always when parking to make sure that we're always within the parking lines, especially when pulling up to a parking spot to face exit forward. Prior to the surround camera, I park with the rear end short of the lines most of the times, and I'd have to get back in and move the vehicle forward. I'm happy with the 2019 and will still pick it over the 2020 since the Signature is currently stated to have 2nd-row Captain's chairs, with no mention of a bench seat being an option. Also, my wife chose the Signature specifically because of the Auburn interior and that is no longer available in the 2020 Signature model.

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-9 GT

What's GVC+?

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Pele2048 View Post
    What's GVC+?
    This is how Mazda explains G-Vectoring Control:

https://www.mazdausa.com/why-mazda/s...hicle-dynamics
    At the start of a turn, GVC reduces engine torque just enough to shift the load to the front wheels, increasing cornering response. It constantly monitors steering operation throughout the turn to calculate optimal engine torque. During the end of the turn, the system recovers engine torque to shift the load back to the rear wheels to improve cornering stability, and to help the driver maintain steering position.

This is how Mazda explains G-Vectoring Control Plus:

https://www2.mazda.com/en/publicity/...0/181011c.html
    "GVC Plus uses the brakes to add direct yaw moment control for further enhanced handling stability. As the driver steers out of a corner by returning the steering wheel to the center position, GVC Plus applies a light braking force to the outer wheels, providing a stabilizing moment that helps restore the vehicle to straight line running. The system realizes consistently smooth transitions between yaw, roll and pitch even under high cornering forces, improving the vehicle's ability to accurately track sudden steering inputs and crisply exit corners. In addition to improving handling in emergency collision avoidance maneuvers, GVC Plus offers a reassuring feeling of control when changing lanes on the highway and when driving on snow or other slippery road surfaces."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast