Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Fog lights decorative piece?

  1. #1
    Registered Member

    2019 Cx-9 GT

    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    24

    Fog lights decorative piece?

    I see no additional light coming out of them - sometimes I wonder if my right fog light is not working.
    What is your experience here?

  2. #2
    Montana/Arizona

    2018.5 CX-9 AWD GT

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    147
    Interesting question. They are so small I have wondered if they at all effective. Maybe I'll take a look. I've only driven it at night a few times.

  3. #3
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    68
    They work, but I find that the hood is so high that I need to raise my seat higher to be able to see their effects on the road (I pretty much sit at the lowest seat height setting). So they function like regular fog light in the way that they project light low to the ground in front of the car, but my line of sight is far up front so I barely see them. If I ever need them I will adjust my driving positon to favor short distance visibility.

  4. #4
    Registered Member

    2019 Cx-9 GT

    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by youri View Post
    They work, but I find that the hood is so high that I need to raise my seat higher to be able to see their effects on the road (I pretty much sit at the lowest seat height setting). So they function like regular fog light in the way that they project light low to the ground in front of the car, but my line of sight is far up front so I barely see them. If I ever need them I will adjust my driving positon to favor short distance visibility.
    I am sitting at the highest position and I am close to 6 ft. I still cannot see any illumination coming from passenger side fog light. I think I will talk with service folks when I am there next

  5. #5
    Registered Member

    2017 CX-9 Signature & 2019 CX-3 GS AWD

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by Vdev View Post
    I am sitting at the highest position and I am close to 6 ft. I still cannot see any illumination coming from passenger side fog light. I think I will talk with service folks when I am there next
    Check the front side (driver side) of the road and you’ll notice that the fog lights provide some illumination. The best way to test it is to turn the fog lights off then on...you won’t notice up front but the front lower side you’ll see there is a slight diff

  6. #6
    Registered Member

    2019 Cx-9 GT

    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by tekbis View Post
    Check the front side (driver side) of the road and you*ll notice that the fog lights provide some illumination. The best way to test it is to turn the fog lights off then on...you won*t notice up front but the front lower side you*ll see there is a slight diff
    I do notice the driver side illumination but the point here is that fog lights arent doing much here !

  7. #7
    Registered Member

    Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Washington, the state
    Posts
    543
    The purpose of so-called fog lights is to light the edge of the road. Agree, our Mazda fog lights do a poor job of even that.

  8. #8
    Registered Member

    2018 CX-9 GT

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by youri View Post
    They work, but I find that the hood is so high that I need to raise my seat higher to be able to see their effects on the road (I pretty much sit at the lowest seat height setting). So they function like regular fog light in the way that they project light low to the ground in front of the car, but my line of sight is far up front so I barely see them. If I ever need them I will adjust my driving positon to favor short distance visibility.
    I actually pointed this out the other day in another thread! lol To me, the fogs are functionally pointless because you cannot see the added light due to the hood (no matter how high you sit). But they are nice decorations tho...

    They COULD be functional if we had a way to turn on the fog lights without the headlights. You would only do this in severely thick fog like I used to see in the San Fran bay area. Really thick fog causes the light from the headlights to obscure your view even worse than having no lights on...so you would turn off your headlights and drive with the fog lights on which could still illuminate the lines on the road with minimal "light pollution".

  9. #9
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Contributor

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    2,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitter View Post
    I actually pointed this out the other day in another thread! lol To me, the fogs are functionally pointless because you cannot see the added light due to the hood (no matter how high you sit). But they are nice decorations tho...

    They COULD be functional if we had a way to turn on the fog lights without the headlights. You would only do this in severely thick fog like I used to see in the San Fran bay area. Really thick fog causes the light from the headlights to obscure your view even worse than having no lights on...so you would turn off your headlights and drive with the fog lights on which could still illuminate the lines on the road with minimal "light pollution".
    Honestly, I'm not sure the light projected is strong enough for that. I'm going to try a little test tonight just to see just how powerful these foglights are.

  10. #10
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Contributor

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    2,148
    Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure the light projected is strong enough for that. I'm going to try a little test tonight just to see just how powerful these foglights are.
    Well, did my test. With only the fogs on, I'd be scared to drive at night. The fog lenses did have a light film of dirt on them, but I had rinsed the car a couple of days ago so they were still fairly clean. I recorded this using my phone, which was resting on the hood above the instrument cluster.



    From the video description:
    This is a short video showing the foglight output. Most people have complained that the fogs aren't powerful enough, and that they are more of a cosmetic feature than a functional feature.

    The first clip starts with only the headlights on. I turn the foglights on and off to show the difference. Then, I show the light output of only the foglights by blocking the left headlight with a towel. Finally, in the last two clips, I'm trying to show the difference in light output with the foglights on, then the foglights off (but it's a little hard to see).
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  11. #11
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-9 GT AWD in Soul Red

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    122
    I have yellow tinted fogs, so this could help you visualize how the foglights light the front. Do note that the tints possibly reduced the light output to some degree.




  12. #12
    Registered Member

    2019 Cx-9 GT

    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    24
    Thanks azuzu - the yellow tint does show that these are OK output- as much any foglight would do. The Fogs are overshadowed by the bright headlights?

    On a side note: The front camera is pretty bad - anything that can be done to improve it.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-13-2016, 06:07 PM
  2. does 2016 LED fog light up the road or just decorative ?
    By tomcat1446 in forum CX-5 General
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-04-2016, 01:35 AM
  3. Replacing silver interior decorative trim on door handle
    By Antonio DiMarco in forum CX-9 Accessories & Appearance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 08:29 PM
  4. 2 piece downpipe/midpipe vs 1 piece
    By Euphorism in forum Mazdaspeed3
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-17-2009, 03:45 AM
  5. Head Lights ,Fog Lights, Bright lights???
    By EviLMaN in forum Mazda Protege
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 06:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •