Any Word on the 2020 CX-9 Changes?

jmonkie

:
17 Mazda6 GT
Just curious if any information has been released regarding the 2020 CX-9. Looking at several other vehicles but waiting until I see if Mazda makes any tweaks before I pull the trigger.

I've been shopping CX-9s over the last month or so here in CO and asking dealers for info on the 2020 model changes and release date since the best they can do on the MSRP of the signature trim is about 7-9% off. I've gotten non-answers from most dealers but the rep at Schomp Mazda let me know that the 2020 would be coming out "soon", that Captain chairs on the second row would be an option, and that the color options weren't changing ( I was hoping for Deep crystal blue mica on the signature trim). That was three weeks ago. I hope the new CX-9 gets the updated infotainment system/screen. Who knows, for now we wait.

I've been shopping CX-9s over the last month or so here in CO and asking dealers for info on the 2020 model changes and release date since the best they can do on the MSRP of the signature trim is about 7-9% off. I've gotten non-answers from most dealers but the rep at Schomp Mazda let me know that the 2020 would be coming out "soon", that Captain chairs on the second row would be an option, and that the color options weren't changing ( I was hoping for Deep crystal blue mica on the signature trim). That was three weeks ago. I hope the new CX-9 gets the updated infotainment system/screen. Who knows, for now we wait.

Captain chairs and updated infotainment are literally my only two gripes about my 2019. If this happens I might scream.

It's almost October and it seems there's still no news/leaks from Mazda about the 2020 CX-9. I wonder if that inline 6 is being shoehorned into it and will be announced at the Tokyo Auto Show near the end of October. Ha ha, wishful thinking, I know. All joking aside, it's uncharacteristic of Mazda to not announce anything by now which makes me think that there maybe significant changes, like a mid-cycle refresh that changes exterior (and maybe interior) appearance?

Well...the rest of the line up already has the new grill, seems one of the mid cycle changes that can be done...

And I hope they release a Mazda Connect v2.0...Its always the gripe on every Mazda review.

I wonder if they'll change the rear chrome trim to match the CX-8.

02-2-4.jpg

Well...the rest of the line up already has the new grill, seems one of the mid cycle changes that can be done...

And I hope they release a Mazda Connect v2.0...Its always the gripe on every Mazda review.

Both of these seem like viable changes, especially Mazda Connect v2.0. However, I don't know if these 2 would be worth paying a premium on a 2020 over the 2019. I guess it depends on the deal.

Here is a YouTube video that talks about 2020 changes

https://youtu.be/o_vAT4TPPHo

Thanks for sharing.

If these are indeed the changes for the CX-9, the 2019 Signature is more preferable to me since I prefer the 2nd row bench seats, as opposed to the Captains chairs. The 9-inch screen might be better if the Mazda Connect is also updated (which I expect it would be) and the external cameras are updated.

Minimal changes as I suspected. Captains chairs do not interest me so I'm good with my 2018 GT AWD.

2020 changes

I was told today that there will be a leather color change for the Signature trim, Captain's chairs option for the second row, but that's all I was told so there may be additional changes. Hopefully some update to the infotainment graphics quality as well. Also was told that Dec 2019 for release of new cars

Last edited:
I was told today that there will be a leather color change for the Signature trim, Captain's chairs option for the second row, but that's all I was told so there may be additional changes. Hopefully some update to the infotainment graphics quality as well. Also was told that Dec 2019 for release of new cars

There's a quick shot of the model changes, listed on paper in the YouTube video.

It says leather color changed from Chestnut to Parchment. I do prefer the Auburn (Chestnut) interior that the Signature has. Parchment is similar to Sand, right? In addition, handsfree liftgate, Bright color alloy wheels, and 9-inch display.

I have to imagine they'll be more changes than seen on the paper in the video. This should be a more thorough refresh rather than a few feature changes as it is mid-cycle. I'm certain they'll be the usual grill changes and such. The 1st Gen CX-9 went through 3 different front ends.

I have to say I fully didn't expect them to offer captains chairs in the CX-9. I figured if Mazda ever intended so, it would have been the case from the start. Personally, I enjoy having the bench with the 7 person capability vs 6.

Interesting that the Signature's Auburn leather is going away and being replaced by the walnut brown found in the Mazda 6 Signature.

I have to imagine they'll be more changes than seen on the paper in the video. This should be a more thorough refresh rather than a few feature changes as it is mid-cycle. I'm certain they'll be the usual grill changes and such. The 1st Gen CX-9 went through 3 different front ends.

I have to say I fully didn't expect them to offer captains chairs in the CX-9. I figured if Mazda ever intended so, it would have been the case from the start. Personally, I enjoy having the bench with the 7 person capability vs 6.

Interesting that the Signature's Auburn leather is going away and being replaced by the walnut brown found in the Mazda 6 Signature.

I am not sure I understand their proposed concept of captains chairs. The main reason people would want o go with the option (at least for vans) is to allow for easier access to the third row. I don't know why anyone would not simply choose to keep the current iteration since they can simply flip the armrest down and gain the functionality of a console, but also get the 7th seat if needed. Odd decision

I am interested to see what wheel offerings the signature gets as well as whether they add the third row AC vent as well as beef up the entertainment unit. An interior piano finish delete, as well as increased front console capacity would be welcome.

Mazda better get their refresh out the door soon. The CX-9 just lost a comparison test to the Korean twins:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a29516727/new-3-row-suvs-compared/

While the handling tests were won by the CX-9 (barely), the CX-9 lost all the acceleration and braking tests. It also has the worst towing rating, smallest interior, and basically finished tied with everything else on fuel economy. It did win the subjective ratings of "fun to drive" and "exterior design", but lost everywhere else.

The big CUV market has become very competitive. Mazda can't afford to wait 9 years for a new model like they did with the previous generation. This one will be 5 years old and the competition has caught up and arguably passed by.

When I looked at Telluride it seemed to approach $50k region with features similar to GT or Signature which are in low $40k range.

When I looked at Telluride it seemed to approach $50k region with features similar to GT or Signature which are in low $40k range.

Same here. The KIA dealerships are currently marking up the price. Also, the 2nd row Captains chairs-only configuration of the Telluride SX Premium AWD was a bit of a deal breaker. If they had offered it with a bench, I would have considered waiting for the demand to die down.

Latest posts

Back