2013~2016 Question about Mazda Control Module

mpluk1985

:
2013, Black CX-5 Grand Touring AWD 6 spd Automatic
Hi there,

My check engine light came on last night and the car (Mazda cx-5 2013) was having trouble shifting gears and it started bucking. I had it towed to my repair shop (Mazda dealer) and they diagnosed it for $130. The repair man told me "the control module had to be updated" and that all I owed was the $130. I find this odd. How does my Mazda notify me when my "control module" should be updated? The repairman also said they check this when I bring my car in for routine service which I always do.

Can anyone help clarify this?

Thanks,

Mark

Mazda ain't gonna notify you of anything if they can help it. It costs them money.

The dealer will do checks to see if there is work to be done...that makes them money.

However, it's possible that the update came around between your service checks or they missed a check or they just don't check until a car gets high enough mileage. Just ask the repairman.

I hope the "update" worked. Is the car driving correctly now?

I will find out when I pick it up this afternoon. Just wanted to go in prepared to ask some intelligent questions. Thank you!

The "update" could also just be the service guy clearing the code, or reflashing the same version of software that the car already had. If there was an actual update, I would check with the service desk to find out if they noted the update on the service record, i.e. "Version 1.2.3 updated to Version 1.2.5 on Sept 15" or something like that. I'd have a hard time paying for something that I could not easily confirm was done.

So here is what the Mazda dealer said. They only charged me $99 + Uncle Sam...

"Verified Customer Concern Check Engine Light is On with code P061B- Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance. Looking at this code on MGSS I found TSB 01-010/19. Reading through TSB and confirming that vehicle was within affected VIN and that PCM version was not at latest version PCM updated from version PUYZ-18881-B to PUYZ-18881-E. Codes cleared and vehicle taken on test drive."

So I have some questions:

1. How does my car know when a code is out of date? Is there a built in odometer that says: 'ok your car is at xxxx mileage, check engine light goes on and car acts weird until your PCM is updated'. My car isn't on a wifi network, so how would it know?

2. Where can I check what updates are available by VIN?

Thanks!

-Mark

So here is what the Mazda dealer said. They only charged me $99 + Uncle Sam...

"Verified Customer Concern Check Engine Light is On with code P061B- Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance. Looking at this code on MGSS I found TSB 01-010/19. Reading through TSB and confirming that vehicle was within affected VIN and that PCM version was not at latest version PCM updated from version PUYZ-18881-B to PUYZ-18881-E. Codes cleared and vehicle taken on test drive."

So I have some questions:

1. How does my car know when a code is out of date? Is there a built in odometer that says: 'ok your car is at xxxx mileage, check engine light goes on and car acts weird until your PCM is updated'. My car isn't on a wifi network, so how would it know?

2. Where can I check what updates are available by VIN?

Thanks!

-Mark

You are overthinking it...

The car does not know if there is an update. It is the dealership who knows, and applies the update if there is an applicable problem with your vehicle.

Okay - so Mazda learns of a problem, and releases an update or a "patch" to fix it, sort of like software programs?

Is there a website where I can check my VIN against a database of these things?

Thanks!

Honestly, Google has made a lot of the hunting a little bit easier. There's a recall site that you can plug your VIN into, I think it's called mazdarecall.org or something. TSBs should be posted on the Mazda USA or Mazda.ca sites, I believe.

Something sounds VERY fishy to me. Your CX shouldn't all of a sudden start running poorly (so poorly that it had to be towed) just because your car's software is 'out of date'.

Conrad - that's interesting. The check engine light was flashing and the car was bucking when it would change gears. After the dealership claimed they did the update though, everything is working normally.

Update - check engine light came on again on 9/23. I took it in, and this time the check engine light was solid as opposed to blinking. Now the dealership says its the mass air flow sensor and they are charging me $287 to fix (parts+labor).

Try taking it to an independent mechanic for a 2nd opinion. IMO, dealerships should only be used for warranty and recall work. Their shop rates for everything else are typically much higher than an independent mechanic's rates.

Hi, thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking for an independent Mechanic in my area (Hartford, CT) for years but cannot find one that is solid.

Try taking it to an independent mechanic for a 2nd opinion. IMO, dealerships should only be used for warranty and recall work. Their shop rates for everything else are typically much higher than an independent mechanic's rates.

It may not be that simple a decision. Most independent shops service many types of vehicles, so their mechanics may not be very familiar with software and electronics issues for every vehicle that hobbles in. I allow independent shops to do basic repairs that I don't have time to do, but some tasks are best left to the experts, even if they charge a bit more.

It may not be that simple a decision. Most independent shops service many types of vehicles, so their mechanics may not be very familiar with software and electronics issues for every vehicle that hobbles in. I allow independent shops to do basic repairs that I don't have time to do, but some tasks are best left to the experts, even if they charge a bit more.

No doubt. They just don't have the ability to go deep in their knowledge of a particular brand. Although, I would probably use the dealer and pay the diagnostic fee and then get it fixed elsewhere. :)

Back