Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Used To Automatic

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Just the other day, I had my first instance of my transmission feeling as though it were searching for the right gear. I went to pass a car that was doing 45, and when I pulled around him, the engine raced a bit before a gear caught and the car lurched a bit. I did not floor it because no traffic was coming the other direction.

That's the first miscue I've had.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    If you were driving a manual mz3/cx5/mz6 and trying to merge into 70 mph traffic from an off ramp where people are entering at like 50mph (typical around here, no one actually accelerates to highway speed on the ramp) you wouldn't approach it in 5th gear
    As often as not, people arrive at the acceleration ramp and you see brake lights go on. I keep a good distance between me and the car in front until I can tell which type of driver they are. It's insane to see how many people driving on the highways are in a perpetual state of fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    You have to learn when and how to use manual mode properly (just like a manual car) to get the most from the engine and trans.
    I've mentioned before that there are areas around me where the windy roads go down into gullies, then back up again, then down into the next gully, with turns all the way through them. I downshift heading into the gully, then wind the car out @4,500 RPM in 3rd gear and punch it coming up the hills and out of the turns. The torque and acceleration in these things is insane!!! I can tell it's happy when it's driven like that.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by COmtn View Post
    The Mazda transmission is pretty great in most conditions. But it can't handle my road; tight and twisty with a lot of elevation gain. There's a 1.5 mile section on the climb that I have to shift into M2, otherwise it's just hunting for the right gear. My 1985 380SL Benz handles this section just fine, with that V8 purr.

It's a bit disappointing that a CX-5 in auto can't handle a mountain road as well as an antique. But it's easy to shift into manual and push her through the hairpins...I have way too much fun through the double S-section. Don't need to manually shift on my descent, auto works fine.
    The non-turbo in general sucks even where I live, in the Ozarks. The turbo model is totally different. My over-all mpg went up several mpg when I got rid of my 2015 and got my 2019 GTR.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    Just the other day, I had my first instance of my transmission feeling as though it were searching for the right gear. I went to pass a car that was doing 45, and when I pulled around him, the engine raced a bit before a gear caught and the car lurched a bit. I did not floor it because no traffic was coming the other direction.

That's the first miscue I've had.
    The ones I have are when I coast to a very low speed and turn to go up an incline (such as slowing to turn off onto a mountain cut-off), then I slowly accelerate and the rpm's climb to about 2K with very little forward initiative, then there is a lurch, a drop to about 1600rpm, and she's off. Only happens in that exact scenario. My GUESS is that it has not downshifted all the way to 1st, instead being in 2nd, but yet it is under 10mph, so the converter is unlocked, and it's "flashing" the converter, and then downshifting at the same time nearly, and then locking the converter after the downshift. Just an educated guess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12