2017~2024 What are the Bluetooth Audio Specs?

:
Orlando, FL
:
'21 CX-5 GT
Does anyone know what version of Bluetooth is in the 2019?
Also, what audio codecs does it support?

I would like to take advantage of the better audio via Bluetooth, rather than the USB cable. I immediately noticed how bad the music quality on Spotify was when using Android Auto. HD Radio sounds great. I haven't tried the other music services.

Changing the Android settings to connect audio via Bluetooth is very noticeable.

I appreciate any thoughts on this.

... I immediately noticed how bad the music quality on Spotify was when using Android Auto. ...

Bluetooth audio will never be superior to a direct connection, like Android Auto. Maybe switch from Spotify to a higher quality source, like Tidal.

Bluetooth audio will never be superior to a direct connection, like Android Auto. Maybe switch from Spotify to a higher quality source, like Tidal.

That's what I've always thought, too. In other vehicles, the audio has always been good thru the cable. However, in the CX-5, there is a distinct difference. Maybe, it's the Bose configuration. Maybe, it's a Mazda configuration.

I found this thread on the Android Auto forums. I changed the setting in 'Developer options' *, and I can definitely notice the difference in the high- and mid-ranges. I'm hoping that someone here will try this, and let me know if they notice any difference, too.

> Settings > System > Advanced > Developer options > scroll about 3/4 down to the Media section > Enable the "Disable USB audio routing" option

As for Spotify, I'm using the 'Very High' setting for audio quality, which is 320 kbit/s.

* How to enable Developer options

Bluetooth audio might be superior to a direct connection - WiFi often is. The reason is that a direct USB connection can transmit noise (EMF) from the source to the DAC. It may not matter in car audio, esp. a Bose system. And a high quality home DAC should use opto-isolators or some other means to prevent problems.

IIRC, there have been at least 2 Bluetooth specs. and any new car likely uses the latter, improved one. I suggest listening to see which is best (I know... that's a heretical notion).

With the Bose car system I doubt there is much different in Bluetooth vs usb and as ralf11 said the noise factor of usb makes Bluetooth the choice. I don*t care how much tuning you do you*re still working with the Bose system.

Bluetooth wise is still only running A2DP standard for streaming audio. So basically it's limited to roughly the sound quality of 320k Mp3 . However the process does convert some music formats which does drop sound quality a bit.
I disagree with the noise factor statement above with USB as a comparison to Bluetooth A2DP. The USB connection is superior with a digital stream straight to the Mazda's digital to audio convertor and won't down sample or resample the music. I have no noise issues running USB SD or iPhone X via Mazda USB.

So if you have lossless encoded music on a usb stick or connect your phone / PC / Tablet with the same recording format you will get better audio quality via USB. However , perceived audio quality is difficult to hear in an in car environment with factory style systems. So a 128k -320k Mp3 song will sound about the same on either blutooth or usb.

Mazda doesn't run the more recent lower loss APTX or Apples iAP2 enhanced audio blutooth protocols which would be harder to pic the difference on higher resolution protocols.

For those technically minded the information describing a2dp is what your Mazda has for blutooth.

https://www.howtogeek.com/338750/whats-the-difference-between-bluetooth-a2dp-and-aptx/

Bluetooth wise is still only running A2DP standard for streaming audio. So basically it's limited to roughly the sound quality of 320k Mp3 . However the process does convert some music formats which does drop sound quality a bit.
I disagree with the noise factor statement above with USB as a comparison to Bluetooth A2DP. The USB connection is superior with a digital stream straight to the Mazda's digital to audio convertor and won't down sample or resample the music. I have no noise issues running USB SD or iPhone X via Mazda USB.

So if you have lossless encoded music on a usb stick or connect your phone / PC / Tablet with the same recording format you will get better audio quality via USB. However , perceived audio quality is difficult to hear in an in car environment with factory style systems. So a 128k -320k Mp3 song will sound about the same on either blutooth or usb.

Mazda doesn't run the more recent lower loss APTX or Apples iAP2 enhanced audio blutooth protocols which would be harder to pic the difference on higher resolution protocols.

For those technically minded the information describing a2dp is what your Mazda has for blutooth.

https://www.howtogeek.com/338750/whats-the-difference-between-bluetooth-a2dp-and-aptx/

Good info, thanks

if Mazda hasn't updated beyond the A2DP then I'd use USB for streaming at least

BTW, the noise issue I mentioned is not perceived as noise per se - it alters sound quality on transients, etc.

OTOH, many people cannot distinguish mp3 from Redbook - or don't care - a lot depends on the type of music too

The first thing to do however, is to try and ditch the Bose "psychoacoustics in the service of cheap drivers" sound system

Interesting on USB transit. I have a few audio systems from 80s analogue with turntable / M/C cart , HT rigs And plenty of different sources. A couple of them are USB based DACs with ESS Sabre chipset at 24bit / 96k and 32bit / 192k. On these I can*t pick any major nuances In dynamics compared with a Mazantz SACD player playing CDs.
Certainly unlikely to pick up USB differences on Mazda*s infotainment and I agree on Bose in the latest CX-5 where the bass driver has been reduced and the system effectively piggybacks on the speaker outputs of the system.

Planning on redoing the CX-5 system in terms of speakers and amps. The trick will be getting a clean preamp signal rather than running a loc or PAC speaker to RCA adaptor. Looking like some board level mods will be required to bypass the speaker output stage.

Curious to see what you find in terms of getting a clean pre amp signal. I have not found any manufacturer that has an adapter that ties between the TAU and the bose amp.

Back