Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.

Thread: Replacing battery in 2014 / 2015 Mazda3s

Registered Member

2012 Mazda3

Replacing battery in 2014 / 2015 Mazda3s

I have watched a few youtube videos and it appears some have struggled to remove the housing bracket for the battery.

Nothing much was mentioned on using a battery tender or something like an AC battery charger or how to use to preserve your infotainment settings and preventing your ECU, PCM from "re-learning". For this reason, I take whatever I see on youtube with a grain of salt as it's always incomplete.

From previous experience on older Mazdas and other vehicles, a battery tender is needed, not so much to preserve the radio settings, but to prevent the ECU from re-learning.

Any tips?

2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

When I had my 2001 Corvette, I could plug a 9-volt battery adapter cable into the cigarette lighter receptacle before disconnecting the old battery. This would preserve the radio and other settings. However, it may not work in other vehicles. I would not connect a battery tender to the battery cables and then disconnect them from the old battery unless this was shown in the BT manual as acceptable.
    But really, how often do you change your battery? Is it really a major pain to reset some things? 10 minutes every 5 years is nothing, at least in my book.
    2014 3S GT, Deep Crystal Blue, Eibach Pro-Kit, Enkei PF01s, Koni Sports, Pirelli P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS tires, 225/45/18
    2008 MX-5 Touring (Mazdaspeed CAI, HIDs, Progress/Koni Sports/Racing Beat sways, SST Magnaflow muffler and tips)

Registered Member

2012 Mazda3

Quote Originally Posted by concept View Post
    But really, how often do you change your battery? Is it really a major pain to reset some things? 10 minutes every 5 years is nothing, at least in my book.
    I guess you missed the part where I mentioned the issue was not preserving the battery, but the engine (ECU) needing to re-learn how when to shift. Had you experienced this, you would know how much of a nightmare this is and the premature wear on the components. Dealers do use a battery tender or a battery backup when they change the batteries, for this very reason.

So you're saying that the relearning process creates premature wear? Where did you read that? I have replaced dozens of batteries in ECU-equipped vehicles and never had a wear issue that caused problems. You may be overthinking this.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2010 Mazda 5 Sport

They use a battery tender to not lose those settings but it's not going to cause undue wear. They should just stop building new cars if they are so fragile.

Registered Member

2012 Mazda3

Quote Originally Posted by concept View Post
    So you're saying that the relearning process creates premature wear? Where did you read that? I have replaced dozens of batteries in ECU-equipped vehicles and never had a wear issue that caused problems. You may be overthinking this.
    I wish I was. From experience when a battery tender or OBDII memory/ECU setting saver were not used, the car had to re-learn the IDLE. In some cases, and it's not consistent, the power window and sunroof controls needed to be re-learned too. The latter are described in Mazda's tech manual, but not the idle re-learn procedure.

Registered Member

2010 Mazda 5 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by blondee_yvr View Post
    I wish I was. From experience when a battery tender or OBDII memory/ECU setting saver were not used, the car had to re-learn the IDLE. In some cases, and it's not consistent, the power window and sunroof controls needed to be re-learned too. The latter are described in Mazda's tech manual, but not the idle re-learn procedure.
    But none of that produces undue wear.

Registered Member

2012 Mazda3

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    But none of that produces undue wear.
    I don't know. At the very least, the drive would be terribly uncomfortable especially from people not used such rough idling.

Simply driving your car a minimum number of miles allows the ECO to relearn. Every time I replace the 12V battery in our Lexus RX400h, I have to relearn the windows and moon roof. It takes me 3 minutes and there is no rough idle.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.