Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rattle Help - Signature

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Rattle Help - Signature

Over the past week, my signature developed a rattle when going over slightly rough pavement.

1. Nothing in sunglass holder
    2. Removed everything in glove box
    3. Sun visors clicked in place

I have attached two sound clips. Has anyone experienced anything like that?

Rattle_1.mp3Rattle_2.mp3

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

I can't really hear it in your clips. But check under the hood.

My car was delivered with the prop rod just banging around in the engine compartment. I found it way in the back near the firewall.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

It's the ticking noise. I'm surprised the road noise is so amplified in both videos. AC was off and recirculation was turned on to cut down the noise.

I know rattling can also be deceiving because sound can bounce around in the car but it sounds like it's coming from the front passenger area.

I'll have to take a look underneath tomorrow.

I am at 9000 miles.

CX-5 2017 GT AWD

Could that be your rear plate?

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by SixPackABS View Post
    Could that be your rear plate?
    You might be on to something. I checked my front plate and it's not sitting in the front plate holder. I have a front plate cover on top of the plate.

I checked the engine bay. Other than some plant matter, everything looked ok.

2017 CX-5 GT - Cystal Soul Red

I've found at times the passenger seat belt gets caught up and comes into contact with the side pillar producing a rattle noise over bumps. Odd time it's a rear passenger one too.

The most common one is the eyeglass holder but OP mentions it was removed.

2016.5 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring W/ Tech PKG

Not shut if it*s the same sound I*ve been hunting down for two years as I can*t play the audio clips... However mine sounded like it was coming from the area around the front left speaker when I would brake on a slightly rough road. I found that it*s the plastic that covers the instrument cluster. It would / does *vibrate* causing the noise..

Next time you hear it on a stretch of road, (if you have time) circle back and hit the road section again this time press your hand on the plastic instrument cluster plastic. See if you have the same loose plastic panel as I do.

I*m still trying to think of a way to secure it so it stops vibrating under braking...

Hope this helps...

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBoy View Post
    I've found at times the passenger seat belt gets caught up and comes into contact with the side pillar producing a rattle noise over bumps. Odd time it's a rear passenger one too.

The most common one is the eyeglass holder but OP mentions it was removed.
    I'll did check the passenger belt but not the rear belts.

Quote Originally Posted by ddtigger1 View Post
    Not shut if it*s the same sound I*ve been hunting down for two years as I can*t play the audio clips... However mine sounded like it was coming from the area around the front left speaker when I would brake on a slightly rough road. I found that it*s the plastic that covers the instrument cluster. It would / does *vibrate* causing the noise..

Next time you hear it on a stretch of road, (if you have time) circle back and hit the road section again this time press your hand on the plastic instrument cluster plastic. See if you have the same loose plastic panel as I do.

I*m still trying to think of a way to secure it so it stops vibrating under braking...

Hope this helps...
    I did try pressing around the infotainment screen when it was rattling but I'll try the instrument cluster on Monday.

2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

If you have the centre (center as you call it) air vents with the closing wheels, close them as they can rattle. If it fixes it I*ll tell you how to stop it.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    If you have the centre (center as you call it) air vents with the closing wheels, close them as they can rattle. If it fixes it I*ll tell you how to stop it.
    Yes, they have the closing wheel. Would they rattle even with the AC off? I'll add that to another thing to check.

Registered Member

2016.5 Touring FWD

Registered Member

2018 cx5 GT

Where is the noise coming from. As mine was the biggest rattle fest of a car I have ever owned to me it was pathetic how bad it was. My 20 year old truck is dead silent this thing biggest pos ever. I fixed so many rattles. But ya where is it coming from? I could probably help

Registered Member

I fought with a similar rattle coming from the passenger seat over rougher roads for a few months before I found the problem. Under the seat should be a couple of white clips that attach to metal rods. Although they're toward the back of the seat, you can only see/reach them from the front. In my case one of the clips detached from the rod at some point and caused a frequent but intermittent rattle. As soon as i reattached it the problem went away.

Registered Member

2019 cx-5 signature. 2019 cx-3 awd touring

it could also be the front passenger seat belt clip that's near the gear selector.
    push this seat belt clip forward and that should do the trick and it springs back and forth.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Okay, I checked almost everything you guys have suggested today. On the way to work, there was no rattle at the usual spot on the freeway or at all. However, when going home, the rattle was there in the parking lot. I have some new clips that I can share.

1. Checked the front license plate - it is a tiny bit loose. I will reattached without the license plate cover. I started recording sound on my phone in the car and closed the door and went to the front license plate and wiggled and tapped it. I could not hear anything on the recording.
    2. Checked center vents while the rattle was happening today and it made no difference opening or closing the vents.
    3. Checked all seatbelts and latches and they look ok.
    4. Checked underneath the front passenger seat and found a wide white piece of plastic still attached to the bottom of the seat. Moved it around and did not make any noise.

After exiting the freeway and traveling on city streets, the rattle was gone. Maybe it's temperature dependent?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast