Torque Steer

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
Acclimating to my new Signature I gunned it the other day to pull around a slower moving car on my twisty mountain road and felt significant torque steer. Something I'll have to get used to.

That's something I've never felt in ours. Now, my old 1991 FWD Eagle Talon TSI was a different story. You would pretty much change lanes if you weren't careful.

That's something I've never felt in ours. Now, my old 1991 FWD Eagle Talon TSI was a different story. You would pretty much change lanes if you weren't careful.
LOL! Good description! (evil)

Pitter, do you have FWD or AWD>?

I thought all SIGS were AWD, but not sure about other countries...

My Sig is AWD. Sig CX 5 I thought all the Eagle Talons were AWD. That's why I bought a 1990 Plymouth Laser Turbo (same car). I wanted 2wd. Absolutely most favorite car I've ever owned! Supposed to have been good for 150mph though I chickened out after 120. It still had a lot of pedal.

Last edited:
... I thought all the Eagle Talons were AWD. That's why I bought a 1990 Plymouth Laser Turbo (same car). I wanted 2wd. Absolutely most favorite car I've ever owned! Supposed to have been good for 150mph though I chickened out after 120. It still had a lot of pedal.

They came in AWD and FWD here. My vehicle after the Talon was the Mitsu version, but AWD. A '95 Eclipse GSX. That was a fun car with a stick shift. (drive)

Even my (tuned) 2.5 N/A gets some torque steer, sometimes at low rpm stabs. Discounting worn tire on one side or poor alignment, Stiffer motor mount can offset this.

AWD on the CX-5 isn*t a 50/50 front/rear split. It*s normally 90/10 front biased and only increases rear power when the stability control kicks in. If you*re not doing anything that requires the stability control to kick in, you*re essentially driving a FWD.

AWD on the CX-5 isn*t a 50/50 front/rear split. It*s normally 90/10 front biased and only increases rear power when the stability control kicks in. If you*re not doing anything that requires the stability control to kick in, you*re essentially driving a FWD.

I think it's normally 98/2 split. Mazda preloads the rear to minimize torque transfer time.

It's not about stability control its power available. More torque means more rear engagement. It's easy to feel during cornering at high rpms just by letting off and stabbing the throttle. Or shifting halfway thru a turn at high rpm. High engine load at low rpm etc.. your not making much power cruising around in 5th or 6th gear at like 1700-2500 rpm which would be common you can loadd up the rear in less than one wheel rotation from a stop; 90/10 means nothing. If you are cruising at some rpm and gear that gives you 50 hp, what difference does it really make of you are getting 5 or 25 tq at the rear wheels lol.

Last edited:
My Sig is AWD. Sig CX 5 I thought all the Eagle Talons were AWD. That's why I bought a 1990 Plymouth Laser Turbo (same car). I wanted 2wd. Absolutely most favorite car I've ever owned! Supposed to have been good for 150mph though I chickened out after 120. It still had a lot of pedal.

I had a 1992 Plymouth Laser AWD, was my first brand new car. They did come fwd too. Was a fast, fun, good looking car. Was also my last turbo powered car.

Back