Wish my GTR had a Gen 1 Suspension

Does anybody else who went from a gen 1 to a gen 2 (or still have both) feel this way?

When I get in my wifes 16 GT, it makes me frustrated with how my GTR handles.

The reserve feels like it floats around too much when compared to the 16.. I understand they softened the suspension since thats what most people prefer. I think they went too far with it though. It really doesnt handle bumps and imperfections much better than the first gen.

The 16 feels so much more direct.

Since Ill have the car for a while, Ive been thinking about starting with replacing the rear shocks considering its an easy swap. Not sure what to go with. KYB doesnt have anything for 2019s yet.

I have a 16 Touring, my wife has a 19 GTR. I prefer driving the 16. It just seems like I can feel the car more.
I do like all the amenities of the 19 and love the turbo. That's the only thing I wish my 16 had, the turbo.

No. My 2019 is much more planted than my 2015 ever was. Same corners, higher speed. Much more refined feel.

Did your 15 have 19s?

I agree it feels more refined.I just find the 16 is firmer, resulting in better handling.

Dont get me wrong, it handles well and doesnt complain when pushed. Just softer than I would like. The 16 feels more like a sporty car. The 19 more like a sporty SUV.

For example, going over expansion gaps at highway speeds is smoother, but it feels like it takes a bit longer to settle because of the softer dampening.

Im also finding more body roll with initial turn in.

When was your 19 built? Wonder if they changed anything.

Did your 15 have 19s?

I agree it feels more refined.I just find the 16 is firmer, resulting in better handling.

Don*t get me wrong, it handles well and doesn*t complain when pushed. Just softer than I would like. The 16 feels more like a sporty car. The 19 more like a sporty SUV.

For example, going over expansion gaps at highway speeds is smoother, but it feels like it takes a bit longer to settle because of the softer dampening.

I*m also finding more body roll with initial turn in.

When was your 19 built? Wonder if they changed anything.

No, 17s, but I did drive one with the low pro tires, although I didnt beat on it. I still like the 19.

You*d have to put them in a controlled comparison. The secret of good handling set up is the car doing better than it used to do while feeling very neutral about it. The steering is very direct and the suspension has pick up the compliance from there as well as smart vectoring. I loved my 16 but it wasn*t a patch on my 17, 18 or 19 (yes I*ve had all 4).

I wouldn't go about replacing the shocks with aftermarket units on a brand new CX-5. You'd be paying good money to make the ride worse.

Gen1 has better(sportier): steering/handling- latter of which I believe is primarily if not entirely due to added weight yep goin all MikeM.. and SEATS! Not dissing anyone's G2 or GTR/Sig as the G1 NA is slow but to me the turbos at least should gain an extra dose of sport(at least a bit more wheel/tire and better seats) that my 19 NA loaner was clearly lacking.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Canadians could chime in...but the gen1 of gen1 was the 2013 2.0 manual. It was a rev happy engine and handled like a car.

FWIW I thought my early G1 handled a bit snappier, flatter than my 16.5..again weight and no additional wheel/tire- upside is a bit more planted and def quieter on highway.

One thing I do relish about the 2019 I have is the feel of the body over irregular surfaces. It is MUCH more rigid. This manifests in subtle ways, but mainly, after almost 20k miles, and, roughly several hundred miles of gravel road, I have zero creaks or rattles. Like its carved from billet. My 370z was similarly rigid with its monocoque construction.

I wouldn't discount the handling on the 2019 GTR, I had a 2018 Forester with 55 series tires and 19mm STI rear sway ( I know it's not the same car but for comparison sake of handling). I can take the GTR around the same curves as fast as the Forester used to go, probably could take them faster but its only 2 wks old so I am still slightly cautious with it.

I wouldn't discount the handling on the 2019 GTR, I had a 2018 Forester with 55 series tires and 19mm STI rear sway ( I know it's not the same car but for comparison sake of handling). I can take the GTR around the same curves as fast as the Forester used to go, probably could take them faster but its only 2 wks old so I am still slightly cautious with it.

If you have A36's, those tires suck and are holding you back by about 5-10% on that corner, too. I replaced mine with Continental CrossContact LX25's a few weeks ago, and the difference is like driving a different trim level of vehicle. Like going from a regular 370Z to the NISMO, or from the Grand Sport to the Z06, etc. in how much difference it made in handling. It also eliminated the cold shake at highway speeds.

Show of hands: who's driving at 90-95% on public roads?

Yes to the A36 tires and I 100% agree a good set of tire would make the car corner much better. I plan on switching them out and selling off the A36 to cover some of the cost.
I also drive probably 95% on public roads.

I drive exclusively on public roads.

There are tons of gravel cut-throughs where I live (one thing I really love about living here), and would seek them out in my truck. Essentially you're driving down the center of farms. I have yet to take my CX-5 on them. I don't want to hear the sound of gravel pinging on the sides.

I drive exclusively on public roads.

There are tons of gravel cut-throughs where I live (one thing I really love about living here), and would seek them out in my truck. Essentially you're driving down the center of farms. I have yet to take my CX-5 on them. I don't want to hear the sound of gravel pinging on the sides.

It doesn't "ping the sides". I've been down hundreds of miles of gravel in this CX5, and thousands in my 2015. I never once got a single nick from it.

Yes to the A36 tires and I 100% agree a good set of tire would make the car corner much better. I plan on switching them out and selling off the A36 to cover some of the cost.
I also drive probably 95% on public roads.

brand new A36's cost $130 USD. Probably not going to get much for 'em.

Back