CX-9 Front radar sensor replacement?

:
CX-9
An issue popped up today, which, depending on its resolution may determine whether my first Mazda will become my last Mazda.

Smart Brake System Malfunction / Front Radar Sensor System Malfunction started popping up. I've seen both previously, though they always go away after restart. This time they didn't.

Took the car to the dealer, and ended up with a quote for $1900+tax repair. A bit steep for a car that isn't yet 3 years old. Also, doesn't inspire confidence in Mazda's components.

So, the questions I have are:
- have any of you ran into it? what was the resolution?
- is there any way to use cruise control (not adaptive cruise control) in this situation?

Havent had that situation yet. If the car is less than 3 yr old it might still be under warranty?

I know you can normally switch from radar cruise control to normal cruise control by holding the button down long enough for the cruise control symbol to change. I dont see why that feature would not be available when radar cruise is off.

Switching to cruise control function
When the MODE switch is pressed until the system switches to the cruise main indication (white) while the MRCC with Stop & Go function system is turned on, the system switches to the cruise control function.
When the system switches to the cruise control function, the indicator and multi-information display notify the driver as follows:
The MRCC with Stop & Go function set indication (green) or the MRCC with Stop & Go function main indication (white) is turned off, and the cruise main indication (white) is turned on.

A message is displayed in the multi-information display.

Last edited:
Haven*t had that situation yet. If the car is less than 3 yr old it might still be under warranty?

Over 36k miles.

I know you can normally switch from radar cruise control to normal cruise control by holding the button down long enough for the cruise control symbol to change.

Yea, the continued warning confused me. Regular cruise works.

An issue popped up today, which, depending on its resolution may determine whether my first Mazda will become my last Mazda.

Smart Brake System Malfunction / Front Radar Sensor System Malfunction started popping up. I've seen both previously, though they always go away after restart. This time they didn't.

Took the car to the dealer, and ended up with a quote for $1900+tax repair. A bit steep for a car that isn't yet 3 years old. Also, doesn't inspire confidence in Mazda's components.

So, the questions I have are:
- have any of you ran into it? what was the resolution?
- is there any way to use cruise control (not adaptive cruise control) in this situation?

I haven't experienced any issues, but if I may make a suggestion.. if you aren't happy with the dealer you're working with, see if you can get a second opinion from a different dealer, or (assuming you haven't already) contact Mazda Corporate to see if they are willing to work with you. They may tell you you're on your own, they might cover a portion of the repair if you choose to go forward with it, or they may eat the cost entirely as a form of goodwill. You won't know until you try.

See if an independent shop wants the work. It's bound to cost less than the dealer.

what version of mazda connect do you have? Certain old versions had a bug, which cause the error to show up (false alarms)
updating it to the latest, as a troubleshooting step, is the cheapest/easiest thing to try first

what version of mazda connect do you have? Certain old versions had a bug, which cause the error to show up (false alarms)
updating it to the latest, as a troubleshooting step, is the cheapest/easiest thing to try first

Thanks, that's a good idea. It's the first one with AA/CP support; been meaning to try upgrading before all this started.

I've also seen that it may be the battery -- so will try swapping it, just in case.

They weren't much help when discussing the easily chipping paint, but I guess it's worth a try. Are they known to help in these cases?

No idea. I suppose it would depend on the person taking your call and whether or not you could build enough rapport with them during that phone call to get them on your side.

Over 36k miles.

Yea, the continued warning confused me. Regular cruise works.

I would suggest reaching out to Mazda corporate customer service and see they can provide goodwill repair. They have discretion to provide this especially if the vehicle is just out of warranty coverage. Hopefully you have ample documentation of service history to go along with this.

Thanks, that's a good idea. It's the first one with AA/CP support; been meaning to try upgrading before all this started.

I've also seen that it may be the battery -- so will try swapping it, just in case.
Hey, I just posted. Having the same issue on my 2016 with 43K miles. Happens at start up. It has been cold here recently, but goes away when the car warms up.
Did swapping the battery help? I don't remember ever changing the battery in my car, but last dealer inspection said the battery was good.

Hey, I just posted. Having the same issue on my 2016 with 43K miles. Happens at start up. It has been cold here recently, but goes away when the car warms up.
Did swapping the battery help? I don't remember ever changing the battery in my car, but last dealer inspection said the battery was good.
This is my problem exactly. Have you found a resolution?

Back