2019 Infotainment system Lockups

Etnsandman

:
2019 CX9 Grand Touring
We are having issues with the system going to a black screen during CarPlay usage and the system being unusable until the car goes to sleep. Dealer kept it for a week troubleshooting and performing a firmware update. We left the ticket open and took if home to evaluate. Unfortunately it is doing it again.

To me it seems like a thermal issue but who knows. Anyone else seeing issues?

We are having issues with the system going to a black screen during CarPlay usage and the system being unusable until the car goes to sleep. Dealer kept it for a week troubleshooting and performing a firmware update. We left the ticket open and took if home to evaluate. Unfortunately it is doing it again.

Have not seen it in my 2019, but I've been using Android Auto only.

I just started having this issue as well. Do you know what version of software you have?. I have the version ending in .100. To see it go to Settings- system- version. By the way you can reboot the system by holding down mute, back button and NAV at same time in the center console for 10 seconds. This helps to fix mine but it sometimes happens again.

This just started happening to mine yesterday. 2019 GT CX9. Was driving using CarPlay and noticed the audio started skipping slightly, then 30 seconds later the audio stopped and the Infotainment crashed to the audio selection screen with "Apple CarPlay Failed" displayed at the top. If I disconnected my phone and reconnected it the message repeated itself. I couldn't use CarPlay until restarting my car. The second time it happened it did the same thing except the whole Infotainment system went black like OP described and actually rebooted. I was able to reconnect my iPhone and use it again. It happened again a third time this morning. Got the message, Infotainment rebooted, and had to reconnect the phone to get it working again.

This just started happening to mine yesterday. 2019 GT CX9. Was driving using CarPlay and noticed the audio started skipping slightly, then 30 seconds later the audio stopped and the Infotainment crashed to the audio selection screen with "Apple CarPlay Failed" displayed at the top. If I disconnected my phone and reconnected it the message repeated itself. I couldn't use CarPlay until restarting my car. The second time it happened it did the same thing except the whole Infotainment system went black like OP described and actually rebooted. I was able to reconnect my iPhone and use it again. It happened again a third time this morning. Got the message, Infotainment rebooted, and had to reconnect the phone to get it working again.

What software version do you have?

For what it's worth, the latest firmware is 70.00.335C. Maybe that can fix your problem. I don't use CarPlay though so it may be a specific bug.

Also if the screen blacks out and doesn't respond, hold down the Back, Nav, and Mute button to do a reset if the infotainment system.

For what it's worth, the latest firmware is 70.00.335C. Maybe that can fix your problem. I don't use CarPlay though so it may be a specific bug.

Also if the screen blacks out and doesn't respond, hold down the Back, Nav, and Mute button to do a reset if the infotainment system.

I just updated to 335C over my lunch break so we'll see how it is on my drive home. Good to know about the reset! Thanks!

I just updated to 335C over my lunch break so we'll see how it is on my drive home. Good to know about the reset! Thanks!

Many others in CX-5 forum, Reddit, and facebook having same issues, even with .335 along with Android Auto.
Some have said that removing the Navigation SD card has helped. I'm going to try this on my way home as it has been happening numerous times for me.

So far, unpairing my iPhone with the cars Bluetooth is working good! Usually see the issues 5-10 minutes into a drive, and just completed 30 min drive without any blips while using CarPlay.

I tested moving into different apps, using maps and streaming audio, even did a phone call without issue.

Oh man the infotainment is terrible with android auto. I have the newest update and the system crashed and restarted around 10 times on my way from toronto to fort Lauderdale. The audio starts to become intermittent and then the display goes blank. It automatically restarts afterwards, but it's quite annoying. It happens often. The system is also very slow in general. Sometimes its quick to boot to the disclaimer screen and sometimes it's a black screen for awhile. Definitely the worst infotainment system I have experienced. My previous 2016 mazda cx-3 was much better. I'm sure its just a software issue.

Oh man the infotainment is terrible with android auto. I have the newest update and the system crashed and restarted around 10 times on my way from toronto to fort Lauderdale. The audio starts to become intermittent and then the display goes blank. It automatically restarts afterwards, but it's quite annoying. It happens often. The system is also very slow in general. Sometimes its quick to boot to the disclaimer screen and sometimes it's a black screen for awhile. Definitely the worst infotainment system I have experienced. My previous 2016 mazda cx-3 was much better. I'm sure its just a software issue.

So I have unpaired abd deleted the Mazda bluetooth and have had no issues with carplay since then. The system also boots up much faster. Clearly the uploading of data via bluetooth slows everything down and is affecting carplay. Given I dont use it not an issue for me to leave it this way but will see what Mazda says next time Im in for service.

So I have unpaired abd deleted the Mazda bluetooth and have had no issues with carplay since then. The system also boots up much faster. Clearly the uploading of data via bluetooth slows everything down and is affecting carplay. Given I dont use it not an issue for me to leave it this way but will see what Mazda says next time Im in for service.

I updated to the latest software and I am still having the problem. I never had my phone, or any phone connected to Bluetooth and was using CarPlay exclusively. I also tried different cables and It's happening 2-3 times over a 45 minute drive like clockwork.

IOS 13 was somehow downloaded but not installed on my phone. I deleted the download. Not sure if that was culprit but another thing you can try if you haven't already installed it.

IOS 13 was somehow downloaded but not installed on my phone. I deleted the download. Not sure if that was culprit but another thing you can try if you haven't already installed it.

I have automatic updates turned off and I've been running iOS 12.4 since I got the car. There's no iOS 13 downloaded to my phone so I don't think that's it either. Probably buggy software via Mazda!

I had the same issue, in the end they replaced the CPU (the actual stereo behind the screen) after several back and forth with the dealer. They needed to happen while it was in the dealer which was a nightmare since it would magically not happen when i would go over. Anyway push to get it replace!

So I got a new iPhone and the problem went away. Looked at my old phone and noticed the lightning port had some junk collected in there. The cord would charge the phone and click but I guess it wasn’t making full contact. I used a tooth pick to clean it out and then plugged in the old one to the car. Worked perfectly over several hours. New phone has worked perfectly for over a month.

Anyone having this issue, check your lightning port and make sure you’re getting a good clean connection. I also used new cables.

So I got a new iPhone and the problem went away. Looked at my old phone and noticed the lightning port had some junk collected in there. The cord would charge the phone and click but I guess it wasn’t making full contact. I used a tooth pick to clean it out and then plugged in the old one to the car. Worked perfectly over several hours. New phone has worked perfectly for over a month.

Anyone having this issue, check your lightning port and make sure you’re getting a good clean connection. I also used new cables.

Mine wouldn't just lock up. It would get stuck on constant reboot so for sure it was the CPU. It would even happen when nothing was connected. Disconnecting the battery an reconnecting it helped it go away for a few days but would constantly come back. So make sure they change that CPU before your warranty runs out if its a similar issue as mine. It was not the Iphone or cord. It was the CPU unit. Works great now

Back