Thread: 2019 Infotainment system Lockups

Registered Member

2019 CX9 Grand Touring

2019 Infotainment system Lockups

We are having issues with the system going to a black screen during CarPlay usage and the system being unusable until the car goes to sleep. Dealer kept it for a week troubleshooting and performing a firmware update. We left the ticket open and took if home to evaluate. Unfortunately it is doing it again.

To me it seems like a thermal issue but who knows. Anyone else seeing issues?

Registered Member

2019 CX9 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Etnsandman View Post
    We are having issues with the system going to a black screen during CarPlay usage and the system being unusable until the car goes to sleep. Dealer kept it for a week troubleshooting and performing a firmware update. We left the ticket open and took if home to evaluate. Unfortunately it is doing it again.

Have not seen it in my 2019, but I've been using Android Auto only.

Registered Member

2016 CX-9 GT

No problems here using Apple CarPlay.

Registered Member

2019 CX-9 GT Machine Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Etnsandman View Post

I just started having this issue as well. Do you know what version of software you have?. I have the version ending in .100. To see it go to Settings- system- version. By the way you can reboot the system by holding down mute, back button and NAV at same time in the center console for 10 seconds. This helps to fix mine but it sometimes happens again.

Registered Member

This just started happening to mine yesterday. 2019 GT CX9. Was driving using CarPlay and noticed the audio started skipping slightly, then 30 seconds later the audio stopped and the Infotainment crashed to the audio selection screen with "Apple CarPlay Failed" displayed at the top. If I disconnected my phone and reconnected it the message repeated itself. I couldn't use CarPlay until restarting my car. The second time it happened it did the same thing except the whole Infotainment system went black like OP described and actually rebooted. I was able to reconnect my iPhone and use it again. It happened again a third time this morning. Got the message, Infotainment rebooted, and had to reconnect the phone to get it working again.

Registered Member

2019 CX-9 GT Machine Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Gardidien View Post
    This just started happening to mine yesterday. 2019 GT CX9. Was driving using CarPlay and noticed the audio started skipping slightly, then 30 seconds later the audio stopped and the Infotainment crashed to the audio selection screen with "Apple CarPlay Failed" displayed at the top. If I disconnected my phone and reconnected it the message repeated itself. I couldn't use CarPlay until restarting my car. The second time it happened it did the same thing except the whole Infotainment system went black like OP described and actually rebooted. I was able to reconnect my iPhone and use it again. It happened again a third time this morning. Got the message, Infotainment rebooted, and had to reconnect the phone to get it working again.
    What software version do you have?

Registered Member

70.00.100 NA N

Just happened to me again.

Registered Member

2019 CX-9 GT AWD in Soul Red

For what it's worth, the latest firmware is 70.00.335C. Maybe that can fix your problem. I don't use CarPlay though so it may be a specific bug.

Also if the screen blacks out and doesn't respond, hold down the Back, Nav, and Mute button to do a reset if the infotainment system.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by azuzu View Post
    For what it's worth, the latest firmware is 70.00.335C. Maybe that can fix your problem. I don't use CarPlay though so it may be a specific bug.

Also if the screen blacks out and doesn't respond, hold down the Back, Nav, and Mute button to do a reset if the infotainment system.
    I just updated to 335C over my lunch break so we'll see how it is on my drive home. Good to know about the reset! Thanks!

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Gardidien View Post
    I just updated to 335C over my lunch break so we'll see how it is on my drive home. Good to know about the reset! Thanks!
    Many others in CX-5 forum, Reddit, and facebook having same issues, even with .335 along with Android Auto.
    Some have said that removing the Navigation SD card has helped. I'm going to try this on my way home as it has been happening numerous times for me.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT

So far, unpairing my iPhone with the cars Bluetooth is working good! Usually see the issues 5-10 minutes into a drive, and just completed 30 min drive without any blips while using CarPlay.

I tested moving into different apps, using maps and streaming audio, even did a phone call without issue.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Oh man the infotainment is terrible with android auto. I have the newest update and the system crashed and restarted around 10 times on my way from toronto to fort Lauderdale. The audio starts to become intermittent and then the display goes blank. It automatically restarts afterwards, but it's quite annoying. It happens often. The system is also very slow in general. Sometimes its quick to boot to the disclaimer screen and sometimes it's a black screen for awhile. Definitely the worst infotainment system I have experienced. My previous 2016 mazda cx-3 was much better. I'm sure its just a software issue.