Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of buying 16/17 CPO Lexus RX350 vs a new CX5 GT Reserve

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Talk me out of buying 16/17 CPO Lexus RX350 vs a new CX5 GT Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    https://www.carfax.com/blog/used-tur...ar-reliability

As a result, most experts say that current-generation turbocharged engines match their naturally aspirated counterparts for reliability. In the 2017 J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study, two of the industry*s key segments (Small SUV and Large Light-Duty Pickup) were won by turbo-friendly vehicles. The 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan led in the former with an all-turbo four-cylinder engine lineup, and the 2014 Ford F-150, with its popular turbocharged V6 models, came out on top in the latter.
    This’s in fact a short-term reliability test on a 2017 report to 2014 VW and Ford. I simply don’t believe a turbo would survive on my 1998 Honda CR-V with 185K miles. The replacement of a turbo charger would be costly to such an old vehicle.

Registered Member

cx5

Driving around at lunch and errands, and then on a long bike ride later, I observed 6 "cow catcher" styled RX 350's. All six were driven by women at least 65 years old. I'm not sure I can withstand being called "Gertrude" every time I pull into my best buddy's Ford dealership, by one of his co-worker buds. He's the head finance guy. When I pulled in there with my BRAND NEW 06' Tacoma , funny Tom the salesman asked me if that was my sister's pick up I had borrowed?

Registered Member

cx5

Quote Originally Posted by joeca View Post
    Driving around at lunch and errands, and then on a long bike ride later, I observed 6 "cow catcher" styled RX 350's. All six were driven by women at least 65 years old. I'm not sure I can withstand being called "Gertrude" every time I pull into my best buddy's Ford dealership, by one of his co-worker buds. He's the head finance guy. When I pulled in there with my BRAND NEW 06' Tacoma , funny Tom the salesman asked me if that was my sister's pick up I had borrowed?
    Sorry, two were the NX's

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    https://www.carfax.com/blog/used-tur...ar-reliability

As mentioned previously, the 2.5T engine is not just a 2.5 with a turbo slapped on it. Modern advancements and innovations in manufacturing and technology have helped to improve factory forced-induction engine reliability to rival naturally-aspirated engine reliability. Of course, not all engines are perfect (just look at Honda's 1.5T with it's oil dilution issues). But the 2.5T has been pretty solid in the almost 4 years it's been available.
    Absolutely...not gonna argue that modern turbos are much more reliable than those of old.

I still believe that in the long haul they’re prone to more problems. No data to back it up just the concept of “more moving parts = more potential problems.
    Last edited by ChuckyVee; 09-10-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    I get what you are saying but this is a somewhat flawed reasoning when you look at market share numbers between the two brands.
    Just as an FYI, here are some numbers I was able to pull and posted in an earlier comment:

Units Sold in US From 2010-2018
    Lexus: 5,179,018 (Higher than Mazda in 10 of those years)
    Mazda:5,154,579 (Higher than Lexus in 9 of those years)

That's less than 1/2% difference!
    Trying to get data on longevity (#vehicles @ 200,000 miles) of any brand is tough.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyVee View Post
    Absolutely...not gonna argue that modern turbos are much more reliable than those of old.

I still believe that in the long haul they*re prone to more problems. No data to back it up just the concept of *more moving parts = more potential problems.
    For what it's worth, my 1990 Volvo Turbo Intercooler was running fine and was about to hit 200,000 miles when Bambi's dad tried to tackle it one foggy night.

Regarding "more moving parts = more potential problems," I feel that way about:
    -electric windows
    -sunroofs
    -electric seats
    -folding side view mirrors
    -electric door locks (although they're better than the vacuum ones on my '63 Lincoln)
    -thermostatically controlled HVAC
    -ABS
    -everything that controls every function on a modern engine

I miss the days when I could carry a toolbox and an extra set of points/condenser/plug wires/rotor/distributor cap in my trunk, and know that I could pretty well manage most breakdowns. On the upside, there are fewer breakdowns on modern cars.

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

The RX 350 V6 is the same engine/ same family 2GR V6 as you see in 2007-2018 Avalon, Camrys, Highlander, Tacoma, ES350, Sienna. This is Toyota's bread and butter. Each of these cars are bullet proof. You are putting 3 years of CX-9 against this? You are making Honda fanbois look rational.

OP if you are that image conscious then understand 80% of these are driven by women. only ages will differ. Lexus will be 65 and Mazda 35-45. See which demographic you are closer to.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    The RX 350 V6 is the same engine/ same family 2GR V6 as you see in 2007-2018 Avalon, Camrys, Highlander, Tacoma, ES350, Sienna. This is Toyota's bread and butter. Each of these cars are bullet proof. You are putting 3 years of CX-9 against this? You are making Honda fanbois look rational.

OP if you are that image conscious then understand 80% of these are driven by women. only ages will differ. Lexus will be 65 and Mazda 35-45. See which demographic you are closer to.
    This. The drivetrain in that RX is so proven it's not up for debate.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    For what it's worth, my 1990 Volvo Turbo Intercooler was running fine and was about to hit 200,000 miles when Bambi's dad tried to tackle it one foggy night.

-electric windows
    -sunroofs
    -electric seats
    -electric door locks (although they're better than the vacuum ones on my '63 Lincoln)
    -ABS

I miss the days when I could carry a toolbox and an extra set of points/condenser/plug wires/rotor/distributor cap in my trunk, and know that I could pretty well manage most breakdowns. On the upside, there are fewer breakdowns on modern cars.
    That's impressive longevity on that old Volvo!

Yep..same here too!

Registered Member

Soon to be 2.5T CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by joeca View Post
    I'd take that Tacoma over anything Ford made.

25 years from now it'll still be running and worth 3x more than it should be for a reason...

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    This*s in fact a short-term reliability test on a 2017 report to 2014 VW and Ford. I simply don*t believe a turbo would survive on my 1998 Honda CR-V with 185K miles. The replacement of a turbo charger would be costly to such an old vehicle.
    And you are, in fact, the most pessimistic person on this site.

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

If the OP is very image conscious a Taurus / ES350 and MKZ are perfect candidates.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

If the OP is very image conscious a Taurus / ES350 and MKZ are perfect candidates.
    Please make this make sense.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

-electric windows
    -sunroofs
    -electric seats
    -ABS
    Took the words right out of my mouth. Anything and everything has the potential to break. That doesn't mean that it will. Turbos are not wear items that need to be replaced every 50k or 100k miles. Just like an engine, if they are designed and maintained properly, they should last the life of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    This. The drivetrain in that RX is so proven it's not up for debate.
    I am not disputing the fact that RX350's engine is reliable. All I'm saying is that the 2.5T has been in use for 3+ years with no turbo failures or engine recalls to report (aside from one CX-9 here on the forums that had a coolant leak). If it's been generally problem-free for 3 years, I personally think it's safe to assume it would be problem-free for the life of the car, assuming that the car receives regular maintenance. Will it be as reliable as the RX350? Nope. But that doesn't mean it'll blow up after 150k either.

At the end of the day, if comfort and reliability are paramount, get the RX350. It's as simple as that.

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Just as an FYI, here are some numbers I was able to pull and posted in an earlier comment:

Trying to get data on longevity (#vehicles @ 200,000 miles) of any brand is tough.
    Wow, that's interesting. Well consider myself schooled. I just assumed.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 85k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast