Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of buying 16/17 CPO Lexus RX350 vs a new CX5 GT Reserve

My god, are you that chatty in person? Damn novel to just say "Buy the one that makes you smile more"
    LOL

Agree it's an old woman car as the only person I know that owns one is an older woman. She's a damn good looking and cool older woman but yea...
    Last edited by 7eregrine; 09-10-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

One other thing to consider is infotainment. I tried the touchpad interface, its a lot harder to get used to. I believe the RX350 doesn't have Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, if that matters to you. I don't think it can be retrofitted either. A new CX-5 will come with both AA and ACP.

Coming from a Lexus sedan (08 IS250 AWD), I can say that it was as reliable as I had expected it to be when I bought it. Zero issues with the car, no electrical or mechanical quirks, everything just worked. I would expect the '17 RX to be much of the same. Since there is no turbo, that's one less component to worry about.

That said, in terms of comfort, the new CX-5 should be just as quiet as the Lexus, with similar interior quality. You can opt for the GT if you're unsure about the reliability of the turbo, but the engine has been used on every 2016+ CX-9, as well as on the higher trims of the 2018+ Mazda6. The CX-5 also gets the ADD (HUD). On top of that, if comfort is the name of the game, you could get a CX-5 and downsize the wheels, allowing you to get tires with more sidewall. This would soften up the ride quite a bit.

Being a newer vehicle, the CX-5 wins in safety tech as well. You get rear cross traffic alert as well as pedestrian detection. And you can also use regular gas with the turbo engine.

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

Lexus has longer range, better dealer experience and luxury interior. Will be bullet proof as its not a new drivetrain. If you can change oil filter then owning a Mazda will be good. But in general Mazda dealer experience will be two notches lower than Lexus. Overall cost of ownership will be similar to a point.

Take a Mazda for extended test drive it should sell itself. Lexus is default good option. Its hard to go wrong with it.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Talk me out of buying 16/17 CPO Lexus RX350 vs a new CX5 GT Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    ⋯ You can opt for the GT if you're unsure about the reliability of the turbo, but the engine has been used on every 2016+ CX-9, as well as on the higher trims of the 2018+ Mazda6.
    CX-5 GT with naturally aspirated 2.5L has very problematic cylinder deactivation. It has already had a recall for falling rocker arms. I personally also prefer to get a non-turbo engine for longevity. But if I really want a new CX-5, I’d choose the 2.5T turbo instead of 2.5L.

Registered Member

2019 cx-5 signature. 2019 cx-3 awd touring

RX= no carplay/ android auto, not even a retrofit is available...

Quote Originally Posted by Young-nyc View Post
    RX= no carplay/ android auto, not even a retrofit is available...
    Toyota and Lexus have added Apple CarPlay to their lineups for 2019 MY, and will add Android Auto to their lineups for 2020 MY.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 w/ Tech/Activsense

The 16/17 RX had a vibration issue. Not sure if they ever fixed it. See https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ration-63.html

I don't know why turbo's scare people. This is not new technology...
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    Because they are one more expensive thing to break. Because they put added stress on the engine.

Registered Member

Constantly spinning at 10*s of thousands of RPMs with very tight tolerances...something is bound to go wrong at some point.

If you lease and/or switch new vehicles every couple years than it*s really a non-issue. But if you*re like me and keep your vehicles for more than 10 years and 200+K miles then it definitely becomes an issue...an almost certain costly repair looming.
    Last edited by ChuckyVee; 09-10-2019 at 04:09 PM.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 White Pearl Sig

I really liked the Lexus interior when I was shopping around. Only problem was I couldn’t get past the look of that blunt nosed cow catcher they hang on all their models. Seems appropriate to classify the front end look as a train wreck.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyVee View Post
    Constantly spinning at 10*s of thousands of RPMs with very tight tolerances...something is bound to go wrong at some point.

If you lease and/or switch new vehicles every couple years than it*s really a non-issue. But if you*re like me and keep your vehicles for more than 10 years and 200+K miles then it definitely becomes an issue...an almost certain costly repair looming.
    https://www.carfax.com/blog/used-tur...ar-reliability

As a result, most experts say that current-generation turbocharged engines match their naturally aspirated counterparts for reliability. In the 2017 J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study, two of the industry*s key segments (Small SUV and Large Light-Duty Pickup) were won by turbo-friendly vehicles. The 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan led in the former with an all-turbo four-cylinder engine lineup, and the 2014 Ford F-150, with its popular turbocharged V6 models, came out on top in the latter.
    As mentioned previously, the 2.5T engine is not just a 2.5 with a turbo slapped on it. Modern advancements and innovations in manufacturing and technology have helped to improve factory forced-induction engine reliability to rival naturally-aspirated engine reliability. Of course, not all engines are perfect (just look at Honda's 1.5T with it's oil dilution issues). But the 2.5T has been pretty solid in the almost 4 years it's been available.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Paulson View Post
    You'll find way more Lexus's on the road with 200,000+ miles on them then you will a Mazda.
    I get what you are saying but this is a somewhat flawed reasoning when you look at market share numbers between the two brands.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 84k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX 5 GT Turbo

For me, I picked up the turbo a little over a week ago and I love it... it dances when I want it to, its good to look at and very comfortable... no regrets at all. MPG seems to be reasonable so far too. This is probably the best car I have purchased.

Cylinder deactivation is not new technology either.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast