Talk me out of buying 16/17 CPO Lexus RX350 vs a new CX5 GT Reserve

:
cx5
Warranty period is about the same. Price about the same. I drove both and know they drive differently. The interior of the RX is pretty darn great.

I'm not a snowflake, I am 55 and insults (subtle please) are ok. LOL! RX 350 = Chick car??? I drive a Tacoma now

Last edited:
How many miles on Lexus? What is warranty? How long do you plan to keep the vehicles? I do think the front with that big grill is rather ugly. At least you would not have to look at it while driving.

I can get one of many with 20-30K miles, some even less than that. Lexus adds two years of warranty post the new car warranty, for a 2017, it could be up to 4 years from a purchase. I know the exterior looks are not great but they have grown on be a bit since they came out. It takes regular gas!!! V6!!!

The CX-5 grill isn't exactly subtle either.

I drive cars for a long time, I bought the Tacoma new in 2006 and it has 200K miles.

Last edited:
Well, I'd drive them both back to back and make a decision. It's pretty easy when you do it that way. I've driven a Lexus for the last 10 years and they make a good product. So does Mazda. Consumer Reports ranks Mazda right after Toyota/Lexus in new car reliability through 2018. Also, the CX comprises about 40% of Mazda's sales in the U.S. so it gets a lot of attention from the company.

I bought the CX AWD over the RX AWD because I feel it's a better value at the Sport trim, giving me most of the luxury features I'm used to (and some more the 2013 did not have). A lease on a new or CPO RX would have cost me close to 50% more.

Last edited:
Well, I'd drive them both back to back and make a decision. It's pretty easy when you do it that way. I've driven a Lexus for the last 10 years and they make a good product. So does Mazda. Consumer Reports now ranks Mazda right after Toyota/Lexus in new car reliability. Also, the CX comprises about 40% of Mazda's sales in the U.S. so it gets a lot of attention from the company.

I bought the CX AWD over the RX AWD because I feel it's a better value at the Sport trim, giving me most of the luxury features I'm used to (and some more the 2013 did not have). A lease on a new or CPO RX would have cost me close to 50% more.

I drove both and like both for different reasons, ie, sporty fun and simple lay out versus luxury and comfort. I plan on driving whichever I decide on for at least 10 years. I'm concerned about the Mazda and the Turbo longevity

I'm happy with the NA's power. Not that big of an adjustment coming from a car with a 7 second 0-60 time, which was my 381 hp LX 570!

Sorry but compared to a Lexus that grill is damn subtle. I despise that Lexus grill.
You know the Mazda is the right answer. The fact that you haven't pulled the trigger on the Lexus... Yes, the Mazda IS that good. It really is...

RX350 is not a chick car but rather an old lady car! Just kidding of course.

They drive very differently, as you might already determined for yourself. Don't think you could go wrong with either selection.

Sorry but compared to a Lexus that grill is damn subtle. I despise that Lexus grill.

I agree. They used to have a few clean designs but they have ruined the styling on most of their vehicles at this point. Toyota is a little better but only because they have so many different models among the terrible looking designs. Also, though the Toyota quality is generally good, they still have flaws like high rates of radiator failures by 100k, and in the case of my previous 2013 vehicle, a flawed starter motor design (and location) with a 100% failure rate by 120k that requires you to take the top of the engine off and costs over $800 to replace. They replaced that flawed part with a new part number a few years back but that doesn't do you any good if you own one made before 2016.

I have said before, the styling department at Toyota is run by mad men.

2019-Toyota-Avalon-front.jpg

front-2-1-1024x590.png

Last edited:
I was in the same dilemma in 2015 and ended up buying a new 2016 CX5. It had more options and of course new.... but I really liked the interior (and quietness) of the Lexus. I think the 2013 Lexus looks pretty dated now so am happy with the decision.

I drove both and like both for different reasons, ie, sporty fun and simple lay out versus luxury and comfort. I plan on driving whichever I decide on for at least 10 years. I'm concerned about the Mazda and the Turbo longevity

If I'm not mistaken, the 2.5L turbo has been used in the CX-9 for some time now. So it's new in the CX-5, but it's time-tested.

Maybe someone with more extensive knowledge of the brand can chime in on this.

Me personally I would get the CX-5 because I don't need a ton of cargo space and prefer smaller vehicles. I would get the RX If I needed the extra space, cared about resale value and wanted long-term reliability. You'll find way more Lexus's on the road with 200,000+ miles on them then you will a Mazda.

You'll find way more Lexus's on the road with 200,000+ miles on them then you will a Mazda.

That's an interesting statement. I couldn't figure out how to confirm/deny it, but I discovered that U.S. sales for Lexus and Mazda are darned near identical.

Units from 2010-2018
Lexus: 5,179,018 (Highest in 10 of those years)
Mazda: 5,154,579 (Highest in 9 of those years)

That's less than 1/2% difference!

Some people are finally catching up..at least in Arizona. People used to drive mostly pickup trucks, fords and jeeps, toyotas, hondas and hyundais here but lately I started to see a lot more CX5s than few years ago which seems promising.

rx350 and cx5 are different class vehicles to me and different size as well.
I would probably take the lexus if longevity, comfort and good dealership experience are a factor but cx5 GT reserve is a gem in its class and a very good choice as well.

Warranty period is about the same. Price about the same. I drove both and know they drive differently. The interior of the RX is pretty darn great.

I'm not a snowflake, I am 55 and insults (subtle please) are ok. LOL! RX 350 = Chick car??? I drive a Tacoma now

I used to be all about "buy the car that fits your image". Then my horizons expanded a bit. I went to do some training, and one of the guys hosting it, SF, 75th Rangers, rolled up in a VW Jetta. Massive dude unfurls from the driver's seat, and that's that. I wrote it up as a 1-off. Then a Delta guy rolls up...in a Honda Pilot. We are all talking cars at some point, and he finds out I'm looking at an SUV. He promptly suggests a Honda Element, since I won't be towing and don't have a family.

At this point I realize people that my government has spent literally millions of dollars per, on, to train to invade enemy countries and raise an insurgency, or charge across poppy fields in Iraq with NODS and suppressed weapons and mow down the enemies of freedom...really don't care what they drive.

I had to take stock in how I viewed vehicles and ask myself...am I my vehicle? The obvious answer was "I am not".

This does not mean I do not have preferences in vehicles and styling, but the mission should drive the gear...not the lipstick on the hog.

So now, that out of the way...

I personally feel the Lexus will last longer. It will go further. It will be more reliable. The V6 in that thing is an absolute work of perfection, if "lasts forever" is your target goal. The transmission in it is also EXCELLENT.

Now functionally: Is the Lexus AWD, as well? Do you enjoy the CX5 or the Lexus more, as the CX5 IS more athletic, in the 2 trims you are comparing the respective vehicles in.

If I enjoyed both vehicles equally, and found they both equally met my needs, I would buy the Lexus without hesitation due to what I feel is a very high likelihood of it lasting longer, and that means I can get to retirement quicker, however, you being 55...may have different priorities, as you may well have a lot more money than I, and/or already be retired, and this purchase is not necessarily as utilitarian as my purchase would be. So the less reliable, but more fun vehicle, MIGHT be something you are into.

At 55? If you can't afford either one, you've done it all wrong, and might as well just continue and have fun, lol! And at 55, if you CAN afford either one, both will be inconsequential to you compared to the other, maintenance/longevity-wise.

So...buy the one t hat makes you smile more!

My god, are you that chatty in person? Damn novel to just say "Buy the one that makes you smile more"
LOL :D

Agree it's an old woman car as the only person I know that owns one is an older woman. She's a damn good looking and cool older woman but yea...

Last edited:
One other thing to consider is infotainment. I tried the touchpad interface, its a lot harder to get used to. I believe the RX350 doesn't have Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, if that matters to you. I don't think it can be retrofitted either. A new CX-5 will come with both AA and ACP.

Coming from a Lexus sedan (08 IS250 AWD), I can say that it was as reliable as I had expected it to be when I bought it. Zero issues with the car, no electrical or mechanical quirks, everything just worked. I would expect the '17 RX to be much of the same. Since there is no turbo, that's one less component to worry about.

That said, in terms of comfort, the new CX-5 should be just as quiet as the Lexus, with similar interior quality. You can opt for the GT if you're unsure about the reliability of the turbo, but the engine has been used on every 2016+ CX-9, as well as on the higher trims of the 2018+ Mazda6. The CX-5 also gets the ADD (HUD). On top of that, if comfort is the name of the game, you could get a CX-5 and downsize the wheels, allowing you to get tires with more sidewall. This would soften up the ride quite a bit.

Being a newer vehicle, the CX-5 wins in safety tech as well. You get rear cross traffic alert as well as pedestrian detection. And you can also use regular gas with the turbo engine.

Lexus has longer range, better dealer experience and luxury interior. Will be bullet proof as its not a new drivetrain. If you can change oil filter then owning a Mazda will be good. But in general Mazda dealer experience will be two notches lower than Lexus. Overall cost of ownership will be similar to a point.

Take a Mazda for extended test drive it should sell itself. Lexus is default good option. Its hard to go wrong with it.

⋯ You can opt for the GT if you're unsure about the reliability of the turbo, but the engine has been used on every 2016+ CX-9, as well as on the higher trims of the 2018+ Mazda6.
CX-5 GT with naturally aspirated 2.5L has very problematic cylinder deactivation. It has already had a recall for falling rocker arms. I personally also prefer to get a non-turbo engine for longevity. But if I really want a new CX-5, Id choose the 2.5T turbo instead of 2.5L.

Back