Talk me out of buying 16/17 CPO Lexus RX350 vs a new CX5 GT Reserve

RX= no carplay/ android auto, not even a retrofit is available...
Toyota and Lexus have added Apple CarPlay to their lineups for 2019 MY, and will add Android Auto to their lineups for 2020 MY.

I don't know why turbo's scare people. This is not new technology...

I don't know why turbo's scare people. This is not new technology...

Constantly spinning at 10*s of thousands of RPMs with very tight tolerances...something is bound to go wrong at some point.

If you lease and/or switch new vehicles every couple years than it*s really a non-issue. But if you*re like me and keep your vehicles for more than 10 years and 200+K miles then it definitely becomes an issue...an almost certain costly repair looming.

Last edited:
I really liked the Lexus interior when I was shopping around. Only problem was I couldnt get past the look of that blunt nosed cow catcher they hang on all their models. Seems appropriate to classify the front end look as a train wreck.

Constantly spinning at 10*s of thousands of RPMs with very tight tolerances...something is bound to go wrong at some point.

If you lease and/or switch new vehicles every couple years than it*s really a non-issue. But if you*re like me and keep your vehicles for more than 10 years and 200+K miles then it definitely becomes an issue...an almost certain costly repair looming.

https://www.carfax.com/blog/used-turbocharged-car-reliability

As a result, most experts say that current-generation turbocharged engines match their naturally aspirated counterparts for reliability. In the 2017 J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study, two of the industry*s key segments (Small SUV and Large Light-Duty Pickup) were won by turbo-friendly vehicles. The 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan led in the former with an all-turbo four-cylinder engine lineup, and the 2014 Ford F-150, with its popular turbocharged V6 models, came out on top in the latter.

As mentioned previously, the 2.5T engine is not just a 2.5 with a turbo slapped on it. Modern advancements and innovations in manufacturing and technology have helped to improve factory forced-induction engine reliability to rival naturally-aspirated engine reliability. Of course, not all engines are perfect (just look at Honda's 1.5T with it's oil dilution issues). But the 2.5T has been pretty solid in the almost 4 years it's been available.

You'll find way more Lexus's on the road with 200,000+ miles on them then you will a Mazda.

I get what you are saying but this is a somewhat flawed reasoning when you look at market share numbers between the two brands.

For me, I picked up the turbo a little over a week ago and I love it... it dances when I want it to, its good to look at and very comfortable... no regrets at all. MPG seems to be reasonable so far too. This is probably the best car I have purchased.

As a result, most experts say that current-generation turbocharged engines match their naturally aspirated counterparts for reliability. In the 2017 J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study, two of the industry*s key segments (Small SUV and Large Light-Duty Pickup) were won by turbo-friendly vehicles. The 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan led in the former with an all-turbo four-cylinder engine lineup, and the 2014 Ford F-150, with its popular turbocharged V6 models, came out on top in the latter.
Thiss in fact a short-term reliability test on a 2017 report to 2014 VW and Ford. I simply dont believe a turbo would survive on my 1998 Honda CR-V with 185K miles. The replacement of a turbo charger would be costly to such an old vehicle.

Driving around at lunch and errands, and then on a long bike ride later, I observed 6 "cow catcher" styled RX 350's. All six were driven by women at least 65 years old. I'm not sure I can withstand being called "Gertrude" every time I pull into my best buddy's Ford dealership, by one of his co-worker buds. He's the head finance guy. When I pulled in there with my BRAND NEW 06' Tacoma , funny Tom the salesman asked me if that was my sister's pick up I had borrowed?

Driving around at lunch and errands, and then on a long bike ride later, I observed 6 "cow catcher" styled RX 350's. All six were driven by women at least 65 years old. I'm not sure I can withstand being called "Gertrude" every time I pull into my best buddy's Ford dealership, by one of his co-worker buds. He's the head finance guy. When I pulled in there with my BRAND NEW 06' Tacoma , funny Tom the salesman asked me if that was my sister's pick up I had borrowed?

Sorry, two were the NX's

As mentioned previously, the 2.5T engine is not just a 2.5 with a turbo slapped on it. Modern advancements and innovations in manufacturing and technology have helped to improve factory forced-induction engine reliability to rival naturally-aspirated engine reliability. Of course, not all engines are perfect (just look at Honda's 1.5T with it's oil dilution issues). But the 2.5T has been pretty solid in the almost 4 years it's been available.

Absolutely...not gonna argue that modern turbos are much more reliable than those of old.

I still believe that in the long haul theyre prone to more problems. No data to back it up just the concept of more moving parts = more potential problems.

Last edited:
I get what you are saying but this is a somewhat flawed reasoning when you look at market share numbers between the two brands.

Just as an FYI, here are some numbers I was able to pull and posted in an earlier comment:

Units Sold in US From 2010-2018
Lexus: 5,179,018 (Higher than Mazda in 10 of those years)
Mazda:5,154,579 (Higher than Lexus in 9 of those years)

That's less than 1/2% difference!

Trying to get data on longevity (#vehicles @ 200,000 miles) of any brand is tough.

Absolutely...not gonna argue that modern turbos are much more reliable than those of old.

I still believe that in the long haul they*re prone to more problems. No data to back it up just the concept of *more moving parts = more potential problems.

For what it's worth, my 1990 Volvo Turbo Intercooler was running fine and was about to hit 200,000 miles when Bambi's dad tried to tackle it one foggy night.

Regarding "more moving parts = more potential problems," I feel that way about:
-electric windows
-sunroofs
-electric seats
-folding side view mirrors
-electric door locks (although they're better than the vacuum ones on my '63 Lincoln)
-thermostatically controlled HVAC
-ABS
-everything that controls every function on a modern engine

I miss the days when I could carry a toolbox and an extra set of points/condenser/plug wires/rotor/distributor cap in my trunk, and know that I could pretty well manage most breakdowns. On the upside, there are fewer breakdowns on modern cars.

The RX 350 V6 is the same engine/ same family 2GR V6 as you see in 2007-2018 Avalon, Camrys, Highlander, Tacoma, ES350, Sienna. This is Toyota's bread and butter. Each of these cars are bullet proof. You are putting 3 years of CX-9 against this? You are making Honda fanbois look rational.

OP if you are that image conscious then understand 80% of these are driven by women. only ages will differ. Lexus will be 65 and Mazda 35-45. See which demographic you are closer to.

The RX 350 V6 is the same engine/ same family 2GR V6 as you see in 2007-2018 Avalon, Camrys, Highlander, Tacoma, ES350, Sienna. This is Toyota's bread and butter. Each of these cars are bullet proof. You are putting 3 years of CX-9 against this? You are making Honda fanbois look rational.

OP if you are that image conscious then understand 80% of these are driven by women. only ages will differ. Lexus will be 65 and Mazda 35-45. See which demographic you are closer to.

This. The drivetrain in that RX is so proven it's not up for debate.

For what it's worth, my 1990 Volvo Turbo Intercooler was running fine and was about to hit 200,000 miles when Bambi's dad tried to tackle it one foggy night.

Regarding "more moving parts = more potential problems," I feel that way about:
-electric windows
-sunroofs
-electric seats
-folding side view mirrors
-electric door locks (although they're better than the vacuum ones on my '63 Lincoln)
-thermostatically controlled HVAC
-ABS
-everything that controls every function on a modern engine

I miss the days when I could carry a toolbox and an extra set of points/condenser/plug wires/rotor/distributor cap in my trunk, and know that I could pretty well manage most breakdowns. On the upside, there are fewer breakdowns on modern cars.

That's impressive longevity on that old Volvo!

Yep..same here too!

I'd take that Tacoma over anything Ford made.

25 years from now it'll still be running and worth 3x more than it should be for a reason...

Back